What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's upgrading their router for iPad 4?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know which router is best of the latest models, to take advantage of iPad 4's capabilities?

For me, there are plenty of competing wifi signals nearby, so I'm willing to spend to go nuclear if needed. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best one.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just upgraded over the weekend to a DLink 857.

First impressions are good. Remote and home sharing are much more reliable than they were with my old router, my wife's Playbook stays connected without issues, where it used to lose the network frequently.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest pluses turns into a minus. It has dual band capability, but it appears that you need newer equipment to use the dedicated media network. My LG BluRay player only finds one network; the wrong one.

The iPad finds both. My son has an MBP, but hasn't tried it out yet. One of the problems with the old router was his use of Netflix, or more correctly, his inability to use it due to poor network speed, so I'm sure I'll hear soon whether it has improved. I'll keep you posted on this. The router cost $150, although the regular price is $179.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded over the weekend to a DLink 857.

First impressions are good. Remote and home sharing are much more reliable than they were with my old router, my wife's Playbook stays connected without issues, where it used to lose the network frequently.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest pluses turns into a minus. It has dual band capability, but it appears that you need newer equipment to use the dedicated media network. My LG BluRay player only finds one network; the wrong one.

The iPad finds both. My son has an MBP, but hasn't tried it out yet. One of the problems with the old router was his use of Netflix, or more correctly, his inability to use it due to poor network speed, so I'm sure I'll hear soon whether it has improved. I'll keep you posted on this. The router cost $150, although the regular price is $179.

Thanks, Kevin. That's helpful to know.

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airport Extreme / Express? Simultaneous dual-band, and the Express has airplay output.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMHO no sense upgrading your router unless you pay for a service that provides the bandwidth needed.
Most people don't have a service more than around 25 - 30mbps anyway.
I'm supposed to have 20mbps service but I'm actually getting right around 30mbps both on my iPad 4 and my PC.

Wish I was lucky enough to have fiber.......... :p

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband picked up a Netgear R6300 today and had it set up by the time I came home. I've been on it with my iPad 2 for hours and performance seems good. The real test will be with iPad 4, which I won't get for weeks since mine is 4G.

If I had bought the router, I would've researched more. He went to Best Buy and got the best one they had on hand. I hope It pays off, or it's back to the store.
Amazon.com: NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC 1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300): Computers & Accessories

Of course, he gets thumbs up for buying and setting up the day after I made my request for a better router. He's a keeper, even if the router turns out not to be, lol.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My husband bought a Netgear n600 (wndr 3700) wireless dual band gigabit router early last year. We have had great connection for all devices including my iPhone 5 when using it. Very happy with it, but what was suppose to be a simply job...I managed to botch if up by misreading a few steps. All is good now! :)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, what kind of service do you people have that are purchasing gigabit routers?
I assume you are all on fiber?
That's a lot of cash for a wireless router IMHO.

Inquiring minds would like to know..... :)

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, what kind of service do you people have that are purchasing gigabit routers?
I assume you are all on fiber?
That's a lot of cash for a wireless router IMHO.

Inquiring minds would like to know..... :)

My husband admittedly over bought as he tends to do for many things. We use comcast and use the mid grade pack and not the xfinity super speed connection. Also, our home has 3 levels with the router being on the top floor and our usual a use of wifi is on the first floor. So he wanted to have good enough range to accommodate for the reconstructive changes we made to the home.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband bought a Netgear n600 (wndr 3700) wireless dual band gigabit router early last year. We have had great connection for all devices including my iPhone 5 when using it. Very happy with it, but what was suppose to be a simply job...I managed to botch if up by misreading a few steps. All is good now! :)

We bought a Netgear N600 about 1.5 years ago and it worked fine, but for the past maybe three weeks our iDevices have been dropping the connection. Annoying. Our area is densely populated and there are lots of networks, so there's probably interference. I figured we might as well upgrade, because troubleshooting wasn't working.

The crazy thing is, iPad 1 has been holding the connection better than iPad 2.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We bought a Netgear N600 about 1.5 years ago and it worked fine, but for the past maybe three weeks our iDevices have been dropping the connection. Annoying. Our area is densely populated and there are lots of networks, so there's probably interference. I figured we might as well upgrade, because troubleshooting wasn't working.

That's good to know. Our old router was a linkys and it didn't last very long at all. We tried to look into changing channels, etc...however that didn't work. I have noticed a little drop out, but always comes back. I tend to blame our ISP when that happens and not the router, because of historical issues.
BTW...your husband is a good man. Cooking dinner for you and setting up routers. You certainly have a keeper, Kaykaykay! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts