What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's upgrading their Ipad 2 to 5.0.1 and who's waiting?

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that there are already two (at least) threads dedicated to the "Ipad 2 Jailbreak." One is the "Official" thread, the other a "Stragety" thread. But I havent really read anything on what to do about upgrading. I know earlier it was posted that the best thing to do is be patient, stay on 5.0 and wait for the devs to give us a heads up. I am just curious though, at this point what everyone is doing.

Thanks.................

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was about to postthe same. Posixninja reccomended today to upgrade to 5.0.1 while we can. If I were on ios5, I had already done so. I am on 4.3.3 jailbroken and for the time being I am staying where I am.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
It's always the same before a jailbreak! Should we update now and miss the chance if it's 5.0 and not for the current 5.01. Who knows!?!? We can only surmise as no one wants to give away too many details.
Me personally I would sit tight and wait to see what happens, there's always a small window before the JB is plugged, so wait for the information to come straight from the horses mouth!

Check out f4780y's brand new update here...... Maybe time to update ;-)

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread.html

Good luck Ricky

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've updated the official thread with the relevant details. I'll be doing the same to the strategy thread too, but it needs a bit more work to bring it up to date...

Last edited:

stompyipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2, 32, 4.3.3 JB, I would love to upgrade to 5.0.1 but can't do without JB so I am waiting.............thx for this post:(

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks f4780y for the update. I lost out last time on 4.3.3 because I wasnt on top of things. Going to take the plunge and update this time......................fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify something for me.

I ran tiny umbrella and it says saved SHSH's for iPad 2:

Does that mean I have no worries in upgrading to 5.0.1 even if apple bring out 5.1? Or shall I upgrade to 5.0.1 then downgrade back to 4.3.3?

Thanks

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify something for me.

I ran tiny umbrella and it says saved SHSH's for iPad 2:

Does that mean I have no worries in upgrading to 5.0.1 even if apple bring out 5.1? Or shall I upgrade to 5.0.1 then downgrade back to 4.3.3?

Thanks

SHSH Blobs for 5.x firmwares CANNOT currently be used on the iPad2, even if you have them saved. Therefore, you must install 5.0.1 on your iPad BEFORE Apple stop signing it and stay on that version if you want the chance to jailbreak 5.0.1 when / if one is released in the near future. When Apple close the signing window you will NOT be able to restore 5.0.1 on your iPad2, even if you have saved blobs, as things stand today.

The protection you DO have is that if you want to restore to 4.3.3 and jailbreak that in the future you can do so at any time thanks to your saved blobs.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I'm gonna sound really thick here.. So upgrade to 5.0.1 as JB maybe imminent, (I like this)

If I upgrade to 5.0.1 and JB doesn't materialise I can downgrade to 4.3.3??

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you can provided you have the wifi version or the gsm 3g version.
There seems to be a problem for cdma 3g version ...

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm ok. I'm gonna take the plunge!

Edit: so far so good except that I forgot all my apps are on my laptop and I've leant it to my mate! Thank goodness for the AppStore downloads!

Last edited:

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am stock 5.0.1. I have put no music and no photos yet and my ipad is just flying. I am not sure if that is due to less capacity being used or the jb.

At the same time, I see now how much crxp I had installed on it. I will try to keep it light now. It is amazing how fast it is.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am stock 5.0.1. I have put no music and no photos yet and my ipad is just flying. I am not sure if that is due to less capacity being used or the jb.

At the same time, I see now how much crxp I had installed on it. I will try to keep it light now. It is amazing how fast it is.

The JB itself will not slow the device, but the more tweaks you add when jailbroken the slower the device will become. There is after all only a limited amount of RAM (and to a lesser extent, processor cycles) to work with. The trick with jailbreaking is getting the right balance of tweaks you really want without bogging the device down wasting memory with unnecessary stuff! :)

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to make an exploited 4.3.3 using tinycfw but it doesn't seem to do anything I left it running twice and after about 30 mins still nothing, what am I doing wrong?

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you f-boy. The crxp I was referring to was to apps I did not need or use enough. Re tweaks, I had just what I needed it.

Also I had too many photos and too much music. Will try to keep it lighter.

Thanks again, G.

Most reactions

Latest posts