What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's still sticking with the original iPad?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here. I can see older iDevices becoming useful in different ways as they age. My iPhone will become a dedicated MP3 player and my iPad 2 will eventually be used as a dedicated GPS. Right now, I don't see any need to update since the iPad 2 is still doing everything I throw at it. The only limitation I find is the 16Gb storage capacity, and there are workaround a for that.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Agree. My husband is using my iPhone 3G to stream radio or podcasts while he cooks. It's now docked permanently in the kitchen.

Once I get around to it, I probably will wipe my iPad 1 64GB and use it for photos and movies only. I can see iPad 1 remaining useful for a long time even if it's no longer one of my main tablets.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son was fortunate enough to be given a first gen yesterday. I have a 3, but his device is very good! Honestly, I would have bought a first gen when they came out except there was no camera on it which would have driven me nuts since it was a must have on my list. So I waited. But his 1 is a very fast & capable device. I guess I was kindof surprised since people talk like it is a Gameboy or something so outdated that it barely works. I haven't found this to be the case with his. A very capable device!
Honestly, other than the lack of cameras, his rivals mine. Even with Retina display.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son was fortunate enough to be given a first gen yesterday. I have a 3, but his device is very good! Honestly, I would have bought a first gen when they came out except there was no camera on it which would have driven me nuts since it was a must have on my list. So I waited. But his 1 is a very fast & capable device. I guess I was kindof surprised since people talk like it is a Gameboy or something so outdated that it barely works. I haven't found this to be the case with his. A very capable device!
Honestly, other than the lack of cameras, his rivals mine. Even with Retina display.

The funny thing is, I have an original GameBoy, and it still works perfectly for what it was intended to do -- play games from cartridges that never required upgraded firmware or connecting to websites that are increasingly stepping up their tech demands on hardware.

For iPad use, mileage will vary with each user and his/her needs. I know a couple of people who are using PCs that are about a decade old, and that works for their uses, but I doubt that works for everyone. The good thing is, we can all buy (or not), according to our needs.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just moved from a 1 to a 3. I love the new one! So much faster! I am usually a generation behind anyway. I hope to keep the 3 for a couple if years before needing to upgrade. My 3 year old son is enjoying the 1. My husband plays around on it but his primary tablet is an android. We all have tablets that suit our needs so its all good.

Nicole18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is kinda a dumb question but how do I know what kind of iPad I have.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nicole18 said:
This is kinda a dumb question but how do I know what kind of iPad I have.

iPad 1. No camera.
iPad 3. Microphone on keyboard
iPad 4. Lightning i/o port instead of thirty pin
iPad mini. It's size gives it away.
iPad 2. Camera, no microphone on keyboard and 30 pin i/o port

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I share my iPad 1 with my 6 yo son. Works great for Netflix and his letter games. I am however jealous of my wife's 3rd Gen. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm still having fun with my iPad 1. I'm learning HTML 5 on it, and creating a theme. Wifi 32gb.
I don't expect to upgrade for another year.

Attachments

• image-2325913522.jpg
    image-2325913522.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 148

Katseyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have my original iPad and in fact, am posting with it now. I am considering an upgrade to iPad 4 mainly for the increase in ram and faster processor though I will probably keep the original to browse the web or take notes in meetings.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm still having fun with my iPad 1. I'm learning HTML 5 on it, and creating a theme. Wifi 32gb.
I don't expect to upgrade for another year.

Ehhh, stick with it until it self districts. They keep releasing new versions anyway, you won't miss out. I never had 1 (hey, you guys were the first to get an iPad). Got 2 has a gift, and now this one ;).

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

mantarkus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I did not buy my iPad 1 new. I bought it from eBay a few months ago when the iPad 3 was launched and I've been really happy with it. Yes, it might not be as fast and some apps might lag a bit (which I assume is because it's jailbroken), and even the battery seems to not to last as long (again, maybe the Jailbreak and the Otterbox Defender case it's in), but not big a deal as to through $500 for a newer version. No camera? no problem, I have a real Fujifilm camera (what's up with those people lifting their iPad's above their heads to take a picture? :D). I use it mainly to play a few games, read e-books and maybe watch Crackle, other than that no work related stuff or anything requiring an upgrade anytime soon.

David C.
iPad 1 64Gb iOS 5.1 .1

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was using Google Earth on my Ipad 2 and wanted to show my wife how to use it on her iPad 1. Installed it and ran it and got a warning about memory. She only had Mail open!

So when the battery dies or some app she needs is not available - that is when she will want a new one.

mantarkus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh BTW to any of you with an iPad 1 in good condition and that's just collecting dust, I have $50 with your name on it. I'll even pay Shipping ;)

David C.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh BTW to any of you with an iPad 1 in good condition and that's just collecting dust, I have $50 with your name on it. I'll even pay Shipping ;)

David C.

This forum doesn't allow posts about buying or selling.

Separately, iPad 1 is selling for more than twice your offer on eBay and Craigslist. iPad 1 also fetches more than your offer in trade at places like GameStop.

mantarkus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This forum doesn't allow posts about buying or selling.

Separately, iPad 1 is selling for more than twice your offer on eBay and Craigslist. iPad 1 also fetches more than your offer in trade at places like GameStop.

Obviously it was meant as a joke since people have mentioned not used their iPad 1 for a while and it's just sitting there, hence the $50 offer. I know they go for more on Craiglist and such, I bought mine from eBay as I mentioned in my original post.

Most reactions

Latest posts