What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Future Direction? Android or Apple?

Shala

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android can beat the iPad tablet? I think perhaps with "more than" the word would be more suitable, because the emergence of Android Tablet PC just lets some users have a new option, and firm Apple fans will still support Apple's own iPad, Both user groups are not for exactly the same, but it looks Android Tablet PC should be able to gain more consumers.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no doubt that Android will catch up, but it's going to take at least 2 years. From those I speak to in the industry, Apple have the Market to themselves at the moment. That's not to say that Android is bad, but Mr Jobs will count on the " Bling" factor. I have been playing with some of the competition, and it just doesn't stack up yet.

I guess the question is, when the playing field does level out, would I be tempted away from the iPad? No. Unless Android comes up with some kind of killer app collection, I think people will always look at your iPad with envy. When I got this new 2 couldn't keep my hands on it for a couple of weeks to do anything serious. Everyone wanted a go!

It will be interesting to see how the Android Market pans out, and I may consider an Android mobile in January when my contract is up for renewal.
Maybe HTC. Just to see what's what.

Brand loyalty won't last forever, but if you put an iPad next to any of the Android offerings and you can pretty much guarantee the iPad will be the one people want to play with.

Time will tell, but I'm sticking with Apple......Shortly to be the proud owner of a Mac Mini! That will just leave my laptop on the dreaded Windows platform.....A necessary evil I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suspect that it will be much the same as Mac versus PC. Andriod will probably quickly overtake the iPad on sheer sales. The iPad will survive as a successful niche player with maybe 10% of the eventual market.

Why? The restrictions that apply to the iPad will limit it's appeal.

I will certainly be looking beyond the iPad when the time comes to replace my current one and will base my decision on which device best suits my needs. The current iPad is very nice but doesn't do everything that I would like it to do.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
I suspect that it will be much the same as Mac versus PC. Andriod will probably quickly overtake the iPad on sheer sales. The iPad will survive as a successful niche player with maybe 10% of the eventual market.

I will certainly be looking beyond the iPad when the time comes to replace my current one and will base my decision on which device best suits my needs. The current iPad is very nice but doesn't do everything that I would like it to do.

My sentiments exactly. But in the current market the iPad 2 does reign king.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I was looking at smartphones I looked at Android and the Iphone, I picked a Android phone. It was on the carrier I wanted, it had the features I wanted and it was cheaper then the IPhone.

When I was ready to buy a tablet I looked at the android ones (only 2 were out) and looking at the spec's vs cost apple won. Then looking at the apps I would be using (I'm a pilot), there were not any good aviation apps out for the Android. Apple has both ForeFlight and WingX. I also felt the Ipad was more refined, lighter, and felt better in my hands then the Android Xoom.

Apple won . . . .. .Today.

Now I see many things I don't like about the Ipad, most of which people wine about on here every day. However I did my prebuy research and decided I could live with them and bought a small glass of apple Kool Aid:)

I do look forward to the day when there is an android table at lease = to a Ipad with the apps I need.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:

Very true

However for me, long time pc users, now a mac user, or rather mainly mac user, still need the pc for work

Itwasntme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad will be the tablet of choice for business and personal use. Look at the news section of this website. We have more government agencies adopting the ipad, as well as an airline.

The ease of use of iOS in general will keep it up in front for some time.

Reaction score
Apple is the present, both are the future. I hope it stays that way too , neither achieving total dominance and development stagnation.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO the degree to which Androids "catch up to" Apple tablets will depend largely on pricing. I don't see Apple giving ground technology-wise. As others improve their products, Apple won't be just sitting back and waiting. The room Androids have left to make inroads is in doing well the few things iPads won't let users do. But if prices for the 'droids aren't appreciably lower, people may just continue to realize they can work around or just live without those few things.

Or I could be completely wrong.:p

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't predict what's around the corner, who knows what Apple will come up with next or what the competition will produce?

One thing's certain, the more competition there is, the smaller Apple's share of the market.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This reminds me a bit of VHS vs. Betamax. - anyone remember that? Thinking was that Betamax was better, but VHS was cheaper and more plentiful.

Of course, in the end we all bought DVD...

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ian russell said:
This reminds me a bit of VHS vs. Betamax. - anyone remember that? Thinking was that Betamax was better, but VHS was cheaper and more plentiful.

Of course, in the end we all bought DVD...

Lol yes i remember, remember vcd? Lol

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HedgeHogLuvva said:
Lol yes i remember, remember vcd? Lol

I can remember when you had a home computer and bought your software on music cassettes! The cassette had more memory than the computer. We thought we'd really arrived! :D

And people moan about iPad2....

Most reactions

Latest posts