What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Thinks It's Worth Going From iPad 2 to iPad 3?

augy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 which I purchased because of the price decrease after playing with the iPad 3 and loving it. I was worried I wasn't going to enjoy the iPad 2 as much because of the worse screen, but to me the price difference was significant enough that I went for it and I'm perfectly happy. I don't care about the worse camera, who uses a tablet for pictures anyway? I don't care about the slightly better graphics because I never play graphic intense games. I also like that the iPad 2 is thinner and lighter. What do you think? Is it worth the upgrade? Are you happy with your iPad 2 or are you itching to make the leap for a brand new iPad 3?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're perfectly happy, enjoy. What does it matter what others think?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm more than happy with my ipad2. Right now it's entertaining me with Tubular Bells, playing over my truck sound system.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
A

augy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If you're perfectly happy, enjoy. What does it matter what others think?

O I know! I'm not going to go out and buy a new one anytime soon, I'm just curious how others feel.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I were buying from scratch, I'd buy the latest model, because of the best innards and likelihood of longer firmware updates.

But I have iPad 1 and 2, and wasn't compelled to buy 3. I'm still happy with my 1 and 2 for now, though there are noticeable performance differences between them. The funny thing is, sometimes my iPad 1 works better at times now, because both iPads have been dropping their wifi connections more frequently since the latest firmware upgrade, but iPad 1 less so than iPad 2.

I figure I'll buy whatever iPad or other tablet is best when my 1 and 2 become too sluggish, or when a hardware maker offers something tempting. For me, biggies would be things like more convenient loading of non-iTunes content, fuller Web access, longer battery life and lighter weight.

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are happy that's super but one thing you didnt mention was that the ipad3 has twice the RAM

OP
A

augy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If I were buying from scratch, I'd buy the latest model, because of the best innards and likelihood of longer firmware updates.

But I have iPad 1 and 2, and wasn't compelled to buy 3. I'm still happy with my 1 and 2 for now, though there are noticeable performance differences between them. The funny thing is, sometimes my iPad 1 works better at times now, because both iPads have been dropping their wifi connections more frequently since the latest firmware upgrade, but iPad 1 less so than iPad 2.

I figure I'll buy whatever iPad or other tablet is best when my 1 and 2 become too sluggish, or when a hardware maker offers something tempting. For me, biggies would be things like more convenient loading of non-iTunes content, fuller Web access, longer battery life and lighter weight.

I agree. The main thing that influenced my purchase of the iPad 2 was the fact I was on a budget. There aren't any used iPad 3s out there that are any cheaper than a brand new one. I think maybe for college I'll upgrade to whatever the latest iPad is at that time.

OP
A

augy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
axis said:
If you are happy that's super but one thing you didnt mention was that the ipad3 has twice the RAM

Yeah but I haven't noticed Any situations with my current iPad that I would want more speed in, it does everything I need it to do extremely smoothly. I'm hoping in future iPads, they return to the iPad 2's thickness and weight, because it really does make a difference even if it is slight.

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augy202 said:
I have an iPad 2 which I purchased because of the price decrease after playing with the iPad 3 and loving it. I was worried I wasn't going to enjoy the iPad 2 as much because of the worse screen, but to me the price difference was significant enough that I went for it and I'm perfectly happy. I don't care about the worse camera, who uses a tablet for pictures anyway? I don't care about the slightly better graphics because I never play graphic intense games. I also like that the iPad 2 is thinner and lighter. What do you think? Is it worth the upgrade? Are you happy with your iPad 2 or are you itching to make the leap for a brand new iPad 3?

LOVE my iPad 2! I certainly Don't Feel the need to run out & replace it for no reason!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am very happy with my ipad2 as well. Have had it for almost a year now. Am able to watch shows, read books, check emails, write reports, take notes, Moderate the forum, listen to music, take pics, etc, etc...without any problem!!

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can understand the mild trepidation about updating to iPad 3. Haven't even tried the new one. But right now, after three months, don't think I'd even make an even trade. Must be in love!

MelHill9794

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it! I am still loving my 2 seems like a waste to go replace,it just because there's a new one. if it even broke I'd get the new one but it's still working great!

jenni122701

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm new to the iPad world, but I purchased the 2, not the latest model. My main reason was budget. For my needs the 2 was perfect, and cheaper, so that's what I went with. I'm sure I'd have just gone with the iPad 3 if money were not such a factor.

~Jenn~ Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
A

augy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chimom79 said:
I'm new to the iPad world, but I purchased the 2, not the latest model. My main reason was budget. For my needs the 2 was perfect, and cheaper, so that's what I went with. I'm sure I'd have just gone with the iPad 3 if money were not such a factor.

~Jenn~ Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I totally agree! There's an added bonus of the iPad 2 being thinner and lighter as well. I got a used one in like new condition from Amazon for $340 and it's perfect! It came with two cases too.

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augy202 said:
Yeah but I haven't noticed Any situations with my current iPad that I would want more speed in, it does everything I need it to do extremely smoothly. I'm hoping in future iPads, they return to the iPad 2's thickness and weight, because it really does make a difference even if it is slight.

As I said, to each his own, seriously if you're happy that's great, it's your iPad.
For me personally the RAM and retina display were the deciding factor, I just had to save a little longer.

Most reactions

Latest posts