What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has had the screen crack on the iPad2?

texasipadgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine cracked after three days and it was not dropped. It latter shattered. Luckily Apple is replacing it. (Thanks Apple!) I had the original iPad for several months and dropped it a few times, but it never cracked. I am just wondering about the sturdiness of the 2. Anyone else have a problem like this?

jaan.kevin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going to Chicago next week, traveling down to Springfield. Would like to but an iPad2 16Gb WiFi, because of the favorable euro-dollar currency rate. Does anyone know if those are in stock? And maybe at which store.

hisnibs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine Cracked today. I had to break harder than normal in traffic and it slid of of the passenger seat. I really had no fears of it being hurt but when I opened it this morning it was cracked. iPad 64, less than 2 months old. Sounds weird that it would crack hitting a carpeted floor board in a vehicle. I also carry it sometimes in the door storage compartment. Wonder if shutting the car door influenced it.

In short, I have thought since I got it that the glass was in such a rigid state the way it is installed that it would or could crack with tension, tortion, flexing.

Cord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going to Chicago next week, traveling down to Springfield. Would like to but an iPad2 16Gb WiFi, because of the favorable euro-dollar currency rate. Does anyone know if those are in stock? And maybe at which store.

I was out shopping today and I saw a number of iPad2's in Target stores and also Walmart stores ... in the northwest suburbs of Chicago... I was surprised that the Walmart store in Lake Zurich, ILlinois has a iPad 2 64gb 3G with your choice of white or black.. You should have no problem next week finding a 16gb WiFi @ $499.99 + sales tax

BenFranklin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerplastics.com
Mine Cracked today. I had to break harder than normal in traffic and it slid of of the passenger seat. I really had no fears of it being hurt but when I opened it this morning it was cracked. iPad 64, less than 2 months old. Sounds weird that it would crack hitting a carpeted floor board in a vehicle. I also carry it sometimes in the door storage compartment. Wonder if shutting the car door influenced it.

In short, I have thought since I got it that the glass was in such a rigid state the way it is installed that it would or could crack with tension, tortion, flexing.

WOAH!!! I'm curious did Apple replace yours?? 2 months and falling into a carpeted floor... I wouldn't think that would crack one!! (Going to buy MUCH better padded case tonight now!!!)

OP
T

texasipadgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, they are. We sent it back and we are waiting to get it back, but ours was not dropped.

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jaan.kevin said:

Seems a bit off topic but I'll give it a shot. You might want to look at the app FindOne. It works quite well from my experience. It used to be free, now I see that there is both a free and a $1 version.

mcduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cracked screen

Mine cracked when I leaned over and it slid out of my arms. Landed on concrete about a 12 inch drop...but I have a screen protector on it and it holds the glass all together..the ip seems to be working fine otherwise. But yikes! If I had known how pricey the repairs would be and the fact that it is automatically out of warranty- even if apple fixes it at $400! Then knowing my klutziness and the glorious sleekness of the ip, I would have gotten an pttercase instead of the sleek apple magnetic thing which did nothing to ease the fall! I suspect this will come up a lot. They are so fun to bring with you, and so light and....oops.

spgary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW, it this thing cracks so easily, apple needs to rethink on the design. This really surprises me after seeing all those strength tests on the youtube where the glass is so flexible that you have to bend it almost at right angles to finally crack it.

I had protected my ipad 1 with capdase soft jacket. it fits tight around the ipad and comes out atleast half centimetre around the glass and thick enough to cushion it falling face down on concrete. It withstood several falls by my two year old before i traded it for the ipad 2. Not a scratch.

My ipad 2 is not so lucky. have a visible dent from a drop at bottom left hand corner. this was before the capdase softjacket was available in the market. i have one already installed now. hope this will give it good protection.

biometrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an ipad2 a day or two after it was on sale here in socal. Didn't take it out of the box till I got a cygnett case for it. I also had a local company (power solutions) install anti glare film on the ipad2. First time I took it to work, some of my die hard apple product loving co workers found it funny that I used a case that according to one made my iPad look like a bible or a planer... It all sounds funny till he drops his iPad and dings the back cover of his iPad. So much for getting those " makes my iPad look better" cases. Who's laughing now.... Hehehe.. My point being... It's a great looking, functioning and expensive piece of equipment. Get something that will actually protect your investment from accidents and not some useless and sometimes expensive, thing that will make it "pretty" to look at... I have dropped my ipad twice already and so far its still in one piece thanks to my cygnett case.. Just my two cents here...

Stephen777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple iPad 2's are not as strong or bulky as the original iPad. In an effort to make the iPad even lighter, Apple reduced the screen thickness therefore making it more likely to break when dropped. Hope this helps.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Stephen777 said:
Apple iPad 2's are not as strong or bulky as the original iPad. In an effort to make the iPad even lighter, Apple reduced the screen thickness therefore making it more likely to break when dropped. Hope this helps.

I saw this about the screen thickness too. I wonder if it's true and how much thinner it really is.

trust773

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I paid $125.00 to get my iPad 2 glass digitizer replaced. I am in Chicago, took it to Chicago Gadgets store and they replaced it for me. chicagogadgets.com

cugl1986

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I get my ipad 2 screen replaced, will that void any manufacturer's warranty - have had it under a year.

I did drop mine and cracked the face.

Last edited:

Orderbychaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Way Apple Explained it To me was if You drop it under Warranty and Apple Fixes it and Your warranty Still Carries On until its End. But if Someone Else Performs The Repair and Does Something Wrong, Say For instance Puts a Digitizer of a Different Brand Or any Part That isn't What Apple Would use to Repair it, Then if Sent To apple Again If Noticed your Warranty Would be Void!!

Most reactions

Latest posts