What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which software to rip my dvds - then load on to ipad using cam connector kit.

hogmonay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm very new here and looking For some help, please! Before purchasing my iPad 2, I looked at options for backup storage and read the blurb ( including from Apple) that photos, music and videos could be added using the Apple Cam Connector, I have successfully used this method for photos but struggling with videos, seems a wee bit inconsistent. I have tried several free and trial DVD rippers to rip my DVDs into mp4 files that are recognised by iTunes and can easily be played on the iPad when dropped from iTunes via pc connection. I am now aware that the videos played from the cam connector kit don't play in the IPod function or from The Videos app but play from the photo gallery instead. I have (as stated) had limited luck in converting DVDs to files that work in this way - often the iPad doesn't even display the respective icon in the "camera" window and on some occasions when the videos are displayed and subsequently downloaded off the cam/SD card they will not open. I have had some successes but all from Trial software which will cost me £30 to £50 to subsequently purchase. I don't have a huge issue with making a purchase, though would like to first confirm if any of the freeware options do work and if so, what I am evidently doing incorrectly. thank you for taking to read and hopefully someone out there has a solution.... cheers
Paul

Byron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbreak

Handbreak is free and it is great. I have converted over 200 DVD's and all work great. Handbreak have default settings for iPad, iPod, and Apple TV. They also have a generic apple default setting which works on all apple devices, this is the one I use.

Padeasel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hand break works great!

Just yesterday I used Handbrake with my MacBook Pro to rip a DVD and uploaded the ripped file using iTunes to my iPad 2. You may be prompted to download another free program for it to work so do as recommended. It worked beautifully, not only did the video look good on the iPad, it also worked perfectly when using the HDMI adapter and HDMI cable connected to my TV. My Bweasel iPad stand also added to the convenience.

Most reactions