What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Smartphone

espressomiata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using my iPad since soon after they came out. Matter of fact, I abandoned my personal laptop & PC and gone strictly iPad. Now I'm considering a smartphone. Is there any compelling reason to pick an Android OS over the iPhone or vice versa just because I use an iPad?

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad and an android phone. Very happy with both but need to use third party software to transfer files. When iCloud is fully operational I'm thinking of going iPhone to enhance the transfer of files, apps, music, and other data.

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ridesroadsandeats.com
Ditto the above post. Love my Droid X and iPad2. But, I still don't know how to transfer my phone contacts (Outlook) to my iPad... iCloud will make this all a lot simpler. Maybe an iPhone in my future when my contract runs out in two years.

Cheers,
Steve

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
r12rtpilot said:
Ditto the above post. Love my Droid X and iPad2. But, I still don't know how to transfer my phone contacts (Outlook) to my iPad... iCloud will make this all a lot simpler. Maybe an iPhone in my future when my contract runs out in two years.

Cheers,
Steve

I didn't have any problem transferring my contacts the first time I connected ti iTunes on my computer. I forgot the exact location, but all I had to do was choose to do it.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 and Blackberry user here. I just love the physical keyboard of the BB.

I did feel the odd one out in the iPad 2 queue on release day though :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like being able to easily synch and share apps and content among my iPhone and iPads. I love iPhone 4 for the quality and functionality of its camera. I get the sense that iOS devices are safer because of Apple's walled garden vs. Android's openness. Battery life is better on iPhone, from what I've read. I thought about getting an Android phone instead, but decided against it for those reasons. YMMV

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was a crackberry addict for years then jumped ship to the Thunderbolt and tried to work it and my iPad but switched a few months ago to the iPhone which I was totally against doing (not sure why!).

I love the way the iPhone and iPad combo seem to work together and play nice with each other. I need to have access to files and work stuff all the time and it seems that it's been easier to do that with the apple combo. Just flows nice.

Good luck on your decision!

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are no other smart phones better than IP. I have used most of them and have always returned to IP. It is simple to use, secure IOS operation and over 300,000 apps to choose from. No Droid, blackberry or worst Windows for me. Been there done that.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're looking for consistency and simpler integration between the devices, go for the iPhone. If you're interested in greater flexibility in your smartphone because you need different functionality in the two devices, go for an android smartphone.

Personally, I've seen no reason to switch from an Android phone to the iPhone after getting my iPad. My phone is more "customizable" than the iPhone and the fact that the iPhone has many more apps available than the Android phone is irrelevant. Among the thousands of android apps available, I have all I need. (About 125) And the simple integration with Google is a plus for me.

I don't, for example, need to have a serious note taking app on my phone. I don't sketch on my phone. And while I can play Angry Birds on my android phone, I much prefer games on the iPad.

On the other hand, I have turn-by-turn voice navigation on my phone, far superior to the navigation options on the iPad. My camera on my phone is better than the one on my iPad and better than what I've seen on the iPhone. And when I need to surf the web on my phone, which isn't nearly as common as it used to be before getting the iPad, I have 4G network speed. (I don't tether my iPad to the phone for reasons too complicated to discuss here but if I did, that would be another good reason to have an Android smartphone since that feature is not yet available on the iPhone.)

On the other hand, if I were getting my first smartphone now, I might well opt for the iPhone simply because my familiarity with the iPad would simplify the learning curve.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I first got the iPhone then the iPad... Eventually, I bought an Apple TV to complete the integration. Having them working together has proven easy, great, magical! Ok, back to earth now...

I've considered then individually but also has a whole set of tools. I am quite happy has everything is just meant to work. No tweaking, or fiddling, I just use them as I need or see fit.

Now, it's Apple, but who knows what the future will provide...

VicoPad addict!

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose an android phone because of the free turn by turn google nav. Has iPhone added a nav capability yet that is at least as good or better?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Montereybob said:
I chose an android phone because of the free turn by turn google nav. Has iPhone added a nav capability yet that is at least as good or better?

There are a bunch of free apps available doing that, and even offline. But my favorite is Waze, cause I can be PacMan on the road ;)

VicoPad addict!

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
There are a bunch of free apps available doing that, and even offline. But my favorite is Waze, cause I can be PacMan on the road ;)

VicoPad addict!

Are they as good as the Google nav on android? If so, my next phone will be an iPhone.

Most reactions