What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which keyboard is best?

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I love using my iPad...but typing with the on-screen keyboard can become a little bit of a tedious pain at times.

So I have decided there is definitely a need for a keyboard to go with it. The only thing is I'm not sure which one would be best to get? Either:

1) iPad Keyboard Dock

2) iPad Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard

They are both the exact same price, so that is not an issue, I just want to know which you think is best.

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com

I had read this yes, and I found it to be an exciting addition to the iPad but...the way it is designed you would end up carrying this around with you everywhere you went, which is not exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that I can use at home for when I am doing essays etc, but I want to be able to carry just my iPad to college etc.

Not only that but I am desperate to get a keyboard ASAP and unfortunately the ZAGGmate 'Ships on April 19th' and it has to come all the way to England so I'm looking at another good 2 - 3 weeks.

Both the keyboard mentioned in my first post are available at my local town centre shops and are both available for store pick-up, the sooner I can get one the better!

Thanks for your suggestion tho!

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brindley said:
I had read this yes, and I found it to be an exciting addition to the iPad but...the way it is designed you would end up carrying this around with you everywhere you went, which is not exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that I can use at home for when I am doing essays etc, but I want to be able to carry just my iPad to college etc.

I fully understand that you might want something else, but I don't understand this remark. I'm getting the Zaggmate partly because it should be easy to go with or without it since the iPad just sits in it.

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I fully understand that you might want something else, but I don't understand this remark. I'm getting the Zaggmate partly because it should be easy to go with or without it since the iPad just sits in it.

With the way the product is designed, the iPad fits in it so you can carry it all around, so therefore the price is more expensive than the Apple keyboards, as they are not meant to be taken round with the iPad. If I spent more money on the Zagg I would feel that I would have to/want to carry it all round with me, which just adds extra weight and thickness. Not that this is a bad thing, as alot of people are looking for something just like this. But for me, I just want a keyboard I can use at home when I have the most typing to do and just be able to carry my iPad around with me on it's own.

(I'm not quite sue I have got my point across very well here, but I hope this sort of clears up your question)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose the Apple BT wireless keyboard. Generally speaking my iPad doesn't have a "home" on my desk or elsewhere and it would need that in order for me to use the keyboard dock. I like that I can set my iPad and/or the wireless keyboard in any position that happens to be available and use them. In addition I have several iPad cases including Apple's and all but one have the ability to stand the iPad up so whatever case I'm using doesn't have to be removed to put it in the dock.

I like options and the wireless keyboard doesn't confine me to one option. YMMV of course! :)

FWIW I also like to use my wireless keyboard (and Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse) with my Macbook Air when it's closed and connected to a monitor. So I get "double duty" out of it (the keyboard that is).

Last edited:
Reaction score

With the way the product is designed, the iPad fits in it so you can carry it all around, so therefore the price is more expensive than the Apple keyboards, as they are not meant to be taken round with the iPad. If I spent more money on the Zagg I would feel that I would have to/want to carry it all round with me, which just adds extra weight and thickness. Not that this is a bad thing, as alot of people are looking for something just like this. But for me, I just want a keyboard I can use at home when I have the most typing to do and just be able to carry my iPad around with me on it's own.

(I'm not quite sue I have got my point across very well here, but I hope this sort of clears up your question)

I'm not trying to change your mind ,I understand totally, especially the having to wait part and extra cost, but it adds maybe 4-6mm to the depth and the weight addition is even less .
There is a pleather cover available on Amazon that includes a bluetooth keyboard and folds into a stand and when being carried around it makes a professional looking cover. I'm on my phone now and don't have a link but it's $53 American plus s/h. If I didn't have my Zagg already I'd get that instead, granted I'm using an Ipad 1 so the one for the Ipad 2 might be more expensive
Edit: here is the one for the iPad2 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SHC16W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0043TB9D6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BXM8DBEEQEJ7G813DGX

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

gmaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the Zagg 2. It's nice but it's a bit heavy. I am waiting fot the leather skin before I use it.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love using my iPad...but typing with the on-screen keyboard can become a little bit of a tedious pain at times.

So I have decided there is definitely a need for a keyboard to go with it. The only thing is I'm not sure which one would be best to get? Either:

1) iPad Keyboard Dock

2) iPad Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard

They are both the exact same price, so that is not an issue, I just want to know which you think is best.

I'm using my BFs apple bluetooth keyboard until my zaggmate comes. It works well enough, but the zagg suits me because I'd like to have my keyboard everywhere I go.

My BF chose the bluetooth keyboard over the keyboard dock because the keyboard dock lets you use the iPad in portrait view only.

I'd go with the wireless keyboard, an incase origami keyboard case, and the iPad. Seems like that might work for you.

Reaction score
gmaines said:
I just got the Zagg 2. It's nice but it's a bit heavy. I am waiting fot the leather skin before I use it.

They already shipped?

I had the apple wireless keyboard for the iPad 1 and it works great for typing, but it misses a few iPad specific keys, which both the keyboard dock and the Zaggmate have. So for iPad 2 have I preordered the Zaggmate.

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I'm not trying to change your mind ,I understand totally, especially the having to wait part and extra cost, but it adds maybe 4-6mm to the depth and the weight addition is even less .
There is a pleather cover available on Amazon that includes a bluetooth keyboard and folds into a stand and when being carried around it makes a professional looking cover. I'm on my phone now and don't have a link but it's $53 American plus s/h. If I didn't have my Zagg already I'd get that instead, granted I'm using an Ipad 1 so the one for the Ipad 2 might be more expensive
Edit: here is the one for the iPad2 Amazon.com: Kensington 2nd Generation KeyFolio Bluetooth Keyboard Accessory Case for Apple iPad 2 2nd Generation WiFi / 3G Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB NEWEST MODEL & for Apple iPad 1 OLDER ORGINAL MODEL (Black): Electronics

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Thank you so much for your reply! I have looked at what you have said but I think I have decided on the wireless keyboard. I would definitely have chosen the Zagg if I wanted to carry my keyboard around with me (and if it shipped a little earlier)

Thanks for your response and the links!

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I'm using my BFs apple bluetooth keyboard until my zaggmate comes. It works well enough, but the zagg suits me because I'd like to have my keyboard everywhere I go.

My BF chose the bluetooth keyboard over the keyboard dock because the keyboard dock lets you use the iPad in portrait view only.

I'd go with the wireless keyboard, an incase origami keyboard case, and the iPad. Seems like that might work for you.

Thankyou for your reply! Yes this is one of the main reasons that I think the wireless keyboard is much better, it is a lot easier to type on the iPad when it is in landscape instead of portrait and the wireless keyboard will let my iPad be in both positions. So I think that this is my final decision.

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like a great device. Just doesn't snap into the holder. That's a deal breaker for me.

PCD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got (and will return) the Kengsington KeyFolio Bluetooth keyboad case for ipad2. First, I was surprised at how heavy and bulky this case was --- almost heavier than the netbook I gave up.

When I tried to type, the first letter stuck and showed ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Tried to switch back to ipad keyboard but the keyboard wouldn't show up as long as it's paired. And when I highlighted text on the the email, it either pppppppppppppp or deleted the text.

Unpaired the keyboard and will send back. Still in search of the right keyboard/case. Probably would want one that has a removable keyboard....but would also want something a little lighter and less bulky.

The Zagg doesn't protect the back of the ipad2. Was hoping someone has experience with the ClamCase and want to share feedback?

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realize I’m new and all but from my readings at least, the HIPPIH is rated pretty darn high. In fact, it was on my wish list until I realized that I’d be better off with a MacAir if I really needed to type all that often. As it is I use my MacPro with two keyboards at home.

HiPPiH iEagle Foldable Wireless Keyboard - Apple Store (U.S.)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/American-iPhone-Folding-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B004FDZTNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308684084&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: American Eagle iPad/iPhone Folding Wireless Keyboard: Electronics[/ame]

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts