What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad model for music making?

squishmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

I have recently sold off my music studio hardware and since getting an iphone and dabbling with some music apps have decided I still enjoy making music and have thus chose to go the iPad route for my future music making fun!
I am writing mostly electronic music but would envisage adding vocals too. I saw there are microphone products tht plugin to connector, although Ive heard some ok stuff using the internal mic.

Now, Im unsure as to WHICH model is best for music (given that I'll use ipad just for music making)
I've read a bit around the web and I think that iPad 1 (original) would maybe be too slow (processor power & only 256 of RAM) to run the more intensive modern/latest apps? Plus can it run only iOs5?

Ok I'll stop babbling and throw the Q's forward.
What Id like to know (…opinions as well as hard facts are welcome) more about is:

-without usb how would I get samples in from my mac?
I read bluetooth wldnt do this besides it being slow. I also read of an Apple Camera Connection Kit??

-What benefits is 3G model given that I'll use this just for music making

- how much memory, RAM and PPower would be enough?
eg recorded vox lines at HQ wav size..running many apps...

Just using my iPhone 3GS it slows up with just iMaschine.

-I assume I can transfer stuff from iPhone to ipad over wifi or is there a hardware route to do this?

-Is iOS5 better to run than iOS6, both in terms of app choices and backwards compatablity

-FINALLY do you users have any tips to give such as; Do's and Dont's

I know the adiom, buy the best you can afford but Id like to go the s/h route and could probably stretch to about 250€ for one.
I live in sweden btw so would buy one there or perhaps on ebayuk.

Much obliged to all responses! :)
Cheers
squishy

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use dropbox to transfer the files from your PC to your iPad. If they aren't very large there should be no real problem. There are apps that will let you move files wirelessly, too. Or you can use a sync cable and transfer using iTunes. Wired is likely to be faster.

I don't know why you need 3G/LTE unless you like working on the road. Personal choice.

With iPad, your options are limited on RAM and storage. Also, your version of iOS may be limited as well. if you buy a device with iOS 6 on it I don't think you can go back to iOS 5.1, for example.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
If I were to only recommend an iPad, it would be the iPad 4 with 64GB memory. I have friends who do projects with the iRig and GarageBand and they sound great. the bonus to using Garage Band is you buy it once, you can put it on up to 5 devices with your Apple ID. I have it on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S. I have used them for smaller intros/outtros for short films.

Buy a new device, you get iOS 6. no reason to go back. No worries about backwards compatibility unless the app you are using removes and compatibility for older versions.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you travel a lot, I think the mini comes in very handy.
Also if you already have a phone that can create a hotspot then 3G is just a luxury backup.
But with the holidays or rather Black Friday approaching, I would ride the sales and get the best deal.
Good time of the year is approaching where Apple actually puts things that sells with people waiting in long lines for, at a discount.

If I could afford to I would get an iPad for each of my hand.
So I can play rhythm as well as the lead parts in the composition and use wireless core midi and Bluetooth to bring the end result to the home theater system. Just dreaming out loud...

OP
S

squishmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses replies and opinion!

@AQ_OC - great tip with drop box - never thght of that and I have it on my mac

@somerled - thnx, Ive used garageband on mac and never really liked it. Prefer nanostudio (on iphone)

@magnetic - gr8 tip about personal hotspot. I can use that from my mac when home and iPhone when travelling w/o need to get a new sim for iPad!

Im now going for an (used) iPad 2 with 32gb
It can run latest iOS6 and shld be enuff GB to run with as I read many say using their 64GB is half full

cheers all

loopingstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd go for an ipad 3 or 4 , as both have more RAM which can be useful for music apps. The only tip I can really give is make sure the apps you use support Audio Copy / Paste - Until Audiobus arrives it's about the only way you can use your sounds across several apps.

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go for horsepower and get the 4. With the mini, 2 and 3, you are already working on an older than "current state" processor. When I got my ipad 1, it was furnished with a processor that was almost a year old and now it's obsolete after two years. Do yourself a favor and stay ahead of the curve.

ZenLizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's your experience?

Jumping on the back of this train...

I currently own an iPad 2 with the latest iOS, and definitely have some problems doing all I want to do without overtaxing it. I'm thinking about switching to an iPad 3 or 4. I'd like to hear from musicians who have gone from a 2 to a 3 or 4 and find out what kind of increase in performance they are experiencing, like, how many more apps can you use simultaneously than you could before? What problems did you have with an iPad 2 that you no longer experience, etc. and what can you do successfully with an iPad 4 that you were unable to do with an iPad 3?

Most reactions