What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad model do you plan to get, and why?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious what others out there are going to get model-wise of the iPad. I think I might as well bite the bullet and get the top of the line model with 3G. You can't add it later, so it's kind of like buying a laptop and spending more up front but making it last longer... what are your thoughts?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious what others out there are going to get model-wise of the iPad. I think I might as well bite the bullet and get the top of the line model with 3G. You can't add it later, so it's kind of like buying a laptop and spending more up front but making it last longer... what are your thoughts?

Here's my line of thinking.

1) I don't have any more than a couple GB worth of music, and I will only load movies/shows on there temporarily (during travel) and then delete them. So 16GB is fine for me.

2) I am debating if I really need the 3G/GPS, I'm still semi-undecided on that, but leaning towards getting the Wi-Fi only model.

3) By buying the $499 base model, this saves me some money for an upgrade when Apple decides to add more features and more memory to the next generation iPad. So I won't take as big of a loss by re-selling mine and buying the new/upgraded one.

OP
JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder though, resale value will be based on what's most popular in the market. If 90% of the people want WiFi and the big HD, it will have a better resale value.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What people want and what they can afford are two different things. I believe lower priced items with the majority of the same features will always sell better.

Look at things like cars, the Porsche 911 for example. Lots of people love them, everyone wants the turbo, but most don't want to spend the money on it. So they go for the standard 911 C2 or C4.

Dwight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to get the 64 gig ipad, only because I would like to store my ditigital photos on it while travelling. I really wish there were a choice for 128 gig to 250 gig flash. This would be perfect for travelling on the road, then I could leave the laptop inthe hotel room or carry on overhead and I would not have to be annoyed by the person in front of me on the plane when they recline. I don't want to wait for the larger drive,because Apple can be a litte slow with the upgrade.

billbunton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I imagine I'll get the 64GB with 3G. Since you can't upgrade later, need to start with 3G. And my 32GB iPhone is starting to feel cramped...

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Bill!

I imagine I'll get the 64GB with 3G. Since you can't upgrade later, need to start with 3G. And my 32GB iPhone is starting to feel cramped...

imatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here's my line of thinking.

1) I don't have any more than a couple GB worth of music, and I will only load movies/shows on there temporarily (during travel) and then delete them. So 16GB is fine for me.

2) I am debating if I really need the 3G/GPS, I'm still semi-undecided on that, but leaning towards getting the Wi-Fi only model.

3) By buying the $499 base model, this saves me some money for an upgrade when Apple decides to add more features and more memory to the next generation iPad. So I won't take as big of a loss by re-selling mine and buying the new/upgraded one.

Same and I'll be getting the 3G with mine. Most airports I go to charge for WiFi. And since the 3G can't be added on and doesn't require a contract, I figure I mine as well...

OP
JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the 3G was something you could add in later I could make a case for getting the non-version and waiting but since it's not, you really might kick yourself if you don't pony up the dough up front.

MemaCookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning on buying the 32 GB Wifi Ipad. My reasons for this choice are based on my intended use. I currently own a 3G iphone (no phone service) which I use as a basic itouch. I do use the camera but only limited, I prefer to use my 12 mp digital camera and flip video for superior quality photos and movies. I do not listen to alot of music. I find I use the photo viewer often, I am a big time user of many iphone applications (77 apps loaded now) and the major use is for reading books. I have read 100's of books and keep as many as 10 to 12 books at a time on the iphone. I also have about 300 photos stored. With all the above loaded I am only using 2 1/2 gb of space. I feel that the 32 gb wifi ipad will be more than sufficient.

My thought is by the time I need more room than the 32 gb offers I will be more than ready to upgrade to the latest and greatest ipad, so why front the money for the space now.

Even though the 3G would be nice, I have access to many free wifi spots and I always have my cellphone and laptop if needed.

jwookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My plan is to get either the 16 or 32GB WiFi version when it comes out and play around with it till the 3G versions come out, the get the 64GB. I have a PC person lined up at work that wants to buy my WiFi version once I receive the the 3G iPad. UNLESS I find, that the WiFi version will do everything I need, then she'll be buying her own.:)

I have LOTS of music, but I wasn't planning on loading it all up, I'll use the iPods for
music, so the 32, will probably be about right, unless the apps end up in larger file sizes for iPad, than iPod Touch app size.

Jill

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16GB WiFi for me. I'm used to managing my music, and if I carried all the documents I use for work on it, it would take less than 2GB of storage for those and that's over 2500 documents (word processing, spreadsheets, pdf files, the whole ball of wax). Throw in some games, a couple of books and a movie or two when I'm on the road and I think it will be plenty.

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally I was going to buy the 16GB wifi model however I read a very interesting article on the web just yesterday. I wished I had saved it. The guy wrote 16GB model way too small. He wrote at a minimum you should have a 32GB model. I tend to agree.

I have many audio books. What is interesting is that you can not currently make a playlist with audio books and ebooks on iTunes. I contacted Apple Support they confirmed it so. Therefore what I have to do is remove the books from iTunes so when I sync with the iPhone or Touch they will not be there and take up all that space. My little 8GB touch fills up quickly. My advice go as big a you can afford and then some.

Besides the book shelf will look a lot cooler with loads of books there rather than just a couple. Think about it.

Last edited:

JocK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bare minimum

For me it will be the bare minimum: 16Gb, wifi only.

I don't need lots of space. I will mainly store pdf documents (and some e-books) on this thing. And I don't need 3G. At least 90% of the time I expect to have wifi access.

Big advantage is that it also makes me more comfortable to upgrade to a later version. And at that time I will be able to make someone happyl. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts