What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad 2

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a really quick question to ask and there is only 4 hours till the iPad 2 comes out! :D

I have already decided on a black ipad but can't decide between 16gb and 32gb. I currently have a 16gb iphone 3gs so all of my music will stay on that.

On my iPad 2 I plan to have lots of apps, a few ibooks, photos when I am at events (will transfer them to computer when I am home), some hd movies as am planning to use the imove app. But I guess I will probably transfer them to my computer when I am home. I will also have word documents but they don't take up any space!

I suspect 16gb is more than enough but am not sure I can take the risk. Which do you think I should buy?

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a really quick question to ask and there is only 4 hours till the iPad 2 comes out! :D

I have already decided on a black ipad but can't decide between 16gb and 32gb. I currently have a 16gb iphone 3gs so all of my music will stay on that.

On my iPad 2 I plan to have lots of apps, a few ibooks, photos when I am at events (will transfer them to computer when I am home), some hd movies as am planning to use the imove app. But I guess I will probably transfer them to my computer when I am home. I will also have word documents but they don't take up any space!

I suspect 16gb is more than enough but am not sure I can take the risk. Which do you think I should buy?

I am in the exact same boat as you however I plan on getting the 32GB

HD films are a few GB on there own

and it is 16GB but you don't actually get 16GB as iOS takes a couple of GB's

Also (correct me if I am wrong) iPad apps take up more space than on an iPhone.

I reckon you would run out of space really quickly (considering some iPhone games, such as Fifa 11, take up almost 1GB)

Hope I helped.

tjader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I've learned anything anything about computers in my life it's that you can never have enough space. How many gb's of music do you currently have that will go onto the ipad? Remember movies will average around 2gb's and you're only going to be adding to your music collection. Games are also starting to take up a good amount of space, so if you plan to play games on it you need to factor those in as well. I would say atleast get the 32gb, I bought the 64gb myself. The last thing you want to have happen will be to get one without enough space only to realize a few months later that you need more space and suddenly that $100 extra won't look so bad.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a 16GB ipad but plan to get the 32GB version 2. I don't have that much music (about 4GB) but the apps sure soak up the space fast, especially if you are creating content on the ipad with them.

Also, as the previous poster says. on the ipad 1 you only get about 14GB of useable space and once you have a couple of movies etc loaded it's gone. For info I currently have about 7GB of apps installed, and that is not all of them, I have to shuffle them about as I keep running out of space. I normally run with about 1GB free.

Nick.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I am not planing on putting any music on it as I have my 16gb iPhone 3gs for that. I currently have 10gb of music so there is no space on my iPhone. I have checked my bank and I am going to get the 32gb wifi version. I am sure if I wanted to I could fill it up especially since I am getting into videography with my dlsr!

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went trough the same process., 32 wifi should do almost everything you need. imo

Martinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say go larger, it is always better to have more space, and as far as the color goes, I had plan on buying the black iPad, but ended up getting the witenagemot on because black was out of stock and i have to say I sure do like the white.

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I did buy the 32gb but it will be 2-3 weeks till dispatch. Did anyone else have problems ordering last night? Also was 2-3 weeks the minimum it was sold at online. I came online about 10mins late.

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks HKWrite12. I rang up my local apple store today and they had a 16gb wifi black model in stock. I was so tempted to go and buy it but resisted as I know I would run out of space instantly!

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no choice but to get the 16 gig model since on release day at Best Buy they only had three black 32 gig models and I wanted a white IPad 2. So I got the white and my wife ( how wasn't going to get one) got the black and she's very happy I talked her into it while we were in line.

thehappyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heck, I've used up most of the space on my 32 GB Iphone 4 and I'll be doing a lot more with the Ipad 2 so I have no choice but to order the 64 GB. Too bad no micro SD card slot !!!!!!

Techdad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting the 32 gig, I already have the 16 gig, but the apps take up all the space since I don't need to load music because of Pandora, and only keep about 2 gig's of pictures or less I need the space for all the great apps that keep coming out.

Most reactions