What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which cellular sim card in uk

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry to keep asking these questions but I am slowly learning.

So, I have the new i-Pad 4 with Wi-Fi and Cellular and I only want the cellular card on a PAYG basis, so not on a regular contract. I understand that although I have Virgin Media broadband at home and Orange (EE) supply the service for my phone. I am not obliged to go through Orange. So who's the best for this type of Nano card?

Is there one that is better than another in the UK, or are they all the same, perhaps other than what they offer with the card on download amount?

Thanks

Alex

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Sorry to keep asking these questions but I am slowly learning.

So, I have the new i-Pad 4 with Wi-Fi and Cellular and I only want the cellular card on a PAYG basis, so not on a regular contract. I understand that although I have Virgin Media broadband at home and Orange (EE) supply the service for my phone. I am not obliged to go through Orange. So who's the best for this type of Nano card?

Is there one that is better than another in the UK, or are they all the same, perhaps other than what they offer with the card on download amount?

Thanks

Alex

I don't think it is a nano sim in ipad 4.

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Just checked and it is a Micro-Sim card that's needed. Are all carries as good as one another?
Alex

Does your phone have good service every ware you want to use it if so stick with what you no.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It does, I'm with Orange and happy with the coverage most of the time. My phone is an HTC (Android) but don't suppose that mattes. I presume that having a cellular card in my i-Pad4 will only connect to that card if a Wi-Fi signal can't be found, but do I get the option to switch it on when wanted, or leave it switched off?
Alex

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
It does, I'm with Orange and happy with the coverage most of the time. My phone is an HTC (Android) but don't suppose that mattes. I presume that having a cellular card in my i-Pad4 will only connect to that card if a Wi-Fi signal can't be found, but do I get the option to switch it on when wanted, or leave it switched off?
Alex

You can switch it off.I don't switch mine on much can usually use bt hotspot.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you considered tethering your phone to your iPad?
I know you have a SIM iPad but sometimes it actually works out cheaper if you have a tethering option on your phone.

As an example the 3 network offer the One Plan 1 month SIM for £25 per month.
This gives you:-
  • All-you-can-eat data
  • 2000 minutes
  • 5000 texts
  • 5000 Three-to-Three minutes
The All-you-can-eat data is unlimited internet with Tethering already added, thus you do not need to pay for any additional SIM card or expense.
Yet if you do choose a SIM card for your iPad it costs you either pay £7.50 per month for a 1GB Data plan or £15 per month for a 10GB Data plan.
The SIM Card for the iPad not only works out more expensive but also limits you to how much data you can download.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Beards. My plan was to but a Sim for £10 -!5 on PAYG basis. I don't plan to use the Sim that often as most of the places I go will have a Wi-Fi link, although when using it, the use will probably be for streaming you tube instructional videos and possible a little e-mail or browsing the web and only for up to 2 hours max. The rest of the time I will be either at home or near a Wi-Fi connection. It is my understanding (a bit shaky yet) that buying a PAYG will allow you to use what is bought on an 'as and when' basis and then top up when that is used up or coming to an end.. Hope I am not mistaken ?

Alex

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Beards. My plan was to but a Sim for £10 -!5 on PAYG basis. I don't plan to use the Sim that often as most of the places I go will have a Wi-Fi link, although when using it, the use will probably be for streaming you tube instructional videos and possible a little e-mail or browsing the web and only for up to 2 hours max. The rest of the time I will be either at home or near a Wi-Fi connection. It is my understanding (a bit shaky yet) that buying a PAYG will allow you to use what is bought on an 'as and when' basis and then top up when that is used up or coming to an end.. Hope I am not mistaken ?

Alex
Yes, the Pay-as-you-Go is done on an 'as-and-when' but the draw back to this is it can end up being quite expensive. The PAYG cover is dearer than a dedicated monthly contract albeit that does depend on how you use the iPad.
Granted your personal use is limited so one would assume your costs under PAYG would be cheaper than a contract.

The thing with tethering though is often is the case you can find a SIM deal for your phone that has better cover, a larger allowance and tethering all thrown in.... thus negating the need to purchase either a SIM contract or PAYG SIM for your iPad.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again Beards. I think initially I would try PAYG 'as and when' type. Once I have used that up, it will give me an idea of how much I am actually using the Cellular side and if a regular monthly contract then looked more realistic, I could start that. It seems more logical than jumping straight into a monthly contract.

Since I retired at 70 a couple of years ago and increased my photographic activity, my use of mobile phone had reduced dramatically, that's why I am on PAYG for that on an HTC (Android) phone. Not sure if I would be better off switching the phone to an Apple just yet, but that may be a consideration later on. Just getting used to the Apple system and my first i-Pad.

Cheers for now

Alex

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again Beards. I think initially I would try PAYG 'as and when' type. Once I have used that up, it will give me an idea of how much I am actually using the Cellular side and if a regular monthly contract then looked more realistic, I could start that. It seems more logical than jumping straight into a monthly contract.

Since I retired at 70 a couple of years ago and increased my photographic activity, my use of mobile phone had reduced dramatically, that's why I am on PAYG for that on an HTC (Android) phone. Not sure if I would be better off switching the phone to an Apple just yet, but that may be a consideration later on. Just getting used to the Apple system and my first i-Pad.

Cheers for now

Alex
No problem Alex. We all pick and choose to our own requirements.
One point for you to note..... You do not have to have an iPhone to tether to your iPad. I have an Android Samsung Galaxy S3 and use that to tether to my iPad.
However I do take your point in that your HTC phone is currently on a PAYG, as such to use the tethering option would demand you to change your phone habit by altering from PAYG to a monthly contract.

As such based purely on your PAYG phone habits and not just because it is an Android phone I am in agreement, in your particular circumstances a PAYG SIM Card for your iPad may be the best answer. Just bear in mind that this type of communication can be expensive the greater you use the allowance.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Beards, I will watch every penny on the first card, but expect it will be used only at the odd time ...................... possible when 'she who has to be obeyed' is not looking. lol.
Your help is appreciated.

Alex

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Beards, I will watch every penny on the first card, but expect it will be used only at the odd time ...................... possible when 'she who has to be obeyed' is not looking. lol.
Your help is appreciated.

Alex
No problem Alex, glad to have provided some input for you.
I'm always happy to first listen/read and then pass on any information I have.
Good Luck with the card. ...... Oh and the Good Lady Wife ~ I've only been married 38yrs but have one exactly the same ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts