What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which app to get for basic Word and Excel editing?

Denis54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought an iPad this weekend and am learning how to use it.

I would like to get an app that would allow me to create and/or edit simple Word and Excel documents on my iPad.

I often travel to locations where I do not have Wi-Fi acces and therefore I need an application that would allow me to upload my documents to my iPad before I leave and to move them back to my PC once I come back.

Which application should I get?

I have read good comments about Pages and Numbers as well as about Documents to Go. Any other one I should look at?

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Denis54 said:

I would like to get an app that would allow me to create and/or edit simple Word and Excel documents on my iPad.

I often travel to locations where I do not have Wi-Fi acces and therefore I need an application that would allow me to upload my documents to my iPad before I leave and to move them back to my PC once I come back.

I have read good comments about Pages and Numbers as well as about Documents to Go. Any other one I should look at?

QuickOffice had worked well for me, I don't do a ton of editing. Just simple stuff. Also like it's file management and favorites function to be able to work on documents while on a plane or other places that I am offline. Integrates with DropBox nicely also.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here's my reply to another thread on the same subject...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html#post157114

I've found DropBox (free) to be the best way to share and sync documents between the iPad and computers.

Dropbox - Online backup, file sync, and sharing made easy.

http://www.dropbox.com/ipad

Hope that helps!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html#post157114

I've found DropBox (free) to be the best way to share and sync documents between the iPad and computers.

Hope that helps!

I meant to put that link to your excellent review in my reply - sorry - I have it in my favourites....my only excuse is that it's 5.45 am in Scotland and I've been up all night .......

Tim
Scotland

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope that helps!

I meant to put that link to your excellent review in my reply - sorry - I have it in my favourites....my only excuse is that it's 5.45 am in Scotland and I've been up all night .......

Tim
Scotland
Thought you were up early mate. Time for bed! ;)

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind documents to go only let's you edit text

Not really sure what that means. The version of Documents To Go that I have creates and edits Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail documents.

The PowerPoint stuff is pretty simple. It's only useful for draft work. If you plan on full presentation quality without a PC, get Keynote.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also to note Office2 hd is the only excel spreadsheet app i found that allows for merged cells.

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USBill said:
Not really sure what that means. The version of Documents To Go that I have creates and edits Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail documents.

The PowerPoint stuff is pretty simple. It's only useful for draft work. If you plan on full presentation quality without a PC, get Keynote.

What I mean is that it won't let you insert pictures, create tables, or adjust anything that is not related to the text itself.

Most reactions

Latest posts