What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is my iDevice?

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Using mobile me to look at both my iPone and iPad at the same time. The hybrid view shows my iPhone on top of my house, right over the room that it is in. The iPad, however, shows to be across the alley and two houses down. WTF!?!?

They are both sitting right next to me and they both show hooked up through my secured wi-fi.

I don't get it.

Anyone else know what's going on?

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have Mobile Me, hoping for/waiting for it to be free, but when I select "use current location" on Google Earth, it shows me in my neighbor's garage .2 mile away! That is kind of weird too! (I have 16 GB wifi only iPad.)

Sent from my 16GB wifi iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lavenderlady*w*iPad said:
I don't have Mobile Me, hoping for/waiting for it to be free, but when I select "use current location" on Google Earth, it shows me in my neighbor's garage .2 mile away! That is kind of weird too! (I have 16 GB wifi only iPad.)

The maps app shows me in the street about 3 houses down the road. But find my iPhone shows me where I am. I don't get it either. I have the same ip address, so what is the deal?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to string theory there are eleven and more dimensions. Guess apple are just upping their game......

The maps app shows me in the street about 3 houses down the road
Just don't let your wife see that!

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You mean to tell me that it ISN'T free? I had received notification that it WAS free, which is why I set it up. I will certainly cancel it if it indeed isn't.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could be wrong (it has happened before!), but I believe the 3G version uses a "real" GPS and the WiFi devices attempt to use the location based on the IP address.

Interestingly enough (to me, anyway!), I was using my iPad on a Delta flight that has on-board WiFi and the location services put me at Delta's HQ in Atlanta. This was really weird since I was somewhere over Colorado at the time!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Summary: WiFi iPads do not have GPS. The use secondary, and less accurate means of determining your location.

That's pretty much what happens. The WiFi version sniffs around for WiFi signals and locates you based on a database of hotspot locations. It might use IP addresses too, but I'm not sure about that.

Given that a hotspot covers a large area, it's not surprising that locations are bit vague. It's good enough for quite a few location type services though, like weather, local services, etc.

I imagine planes are difficult to keep current in a location data base. In that case they probably just assign them to the businesses address. Or maybe it does use IP addresses as secondary location, and that probably would trace back to the Delta's headquarters.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Summary: WiFi iPads do not have GPS. The use secondary, and less accurate means of determining your location.

That's pretty much what happens. The WiFi version sniffs around for WiFi signals and locates you based on a database of hotspot locations. It might use IP addresses too, but I'm not sure about that.

Given that a hotspot covers a large area, it's not surprising that locations are bit vague. It's good enough for quite a few location type services though, like weather, local services, etc.

I imagine planes are difficult to keep current in a location data base. In that case they probably just assign them to the businesses address. Or maybe it does use IP addresses as secondary location, and that probably would trace back to the Delta's headquarters.

I think it uses ip addresses.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think it uses ip addresses.

Both, probably.

I remember the debate about collecting wireless hotspot info with Google. I also remember it being mentioned that Apple stopped using Google's collected data some time before the controversy and started using their own database.

Anyway, for those who are still not quite sure what location service does, here is Apple's link. Note the larger blue area when you've got an imprecise location.

iPad: Understanding Location Services

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
You mean to tell me that it ISN'T free? I had received notification that it WAS free, which is why I set it up. I will certainly cancel it if it indeed isn't.

To my knowledge, right now Mobile Me costs $90 something dollars a year, apparently with discounted rates available as mentioned in other posts on eBay for example. I never checked that out so can't really say much about it. I was reading an article in the past few days that one of the March 2 announcements might be that MM will now be free. So I am waiting to see if that is true before I sign up.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet thanks for the link, good explanation. I am in a very rural area in MT and our options for internet are limited. I am at the end of the line for Qwest Internet service and my neighbor, where I "appear" to be in the garage, is on a different ISP altogether. I am not techie at all, but I don't understand why my iPad would not find my ISP over his, and locate me correctly. Is one ISP stronger than another, or am I just not understanding the whole process at all?

hey_moe

iPF Noob
Reaction score

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am not techie at all, but I don't understand why my iPad would not find my ISP over his, and locate me correctly. Is one ISP stronger than another, or am I just not understanding the whole process at all?

Probably for the same reason my Garmin GPS wants me to turn right, to the neighbors house, instead left into the RV lot when I'm navigating home. Their location database isn't perfect, and your ISP may not be in it, or the entry isn't correct.

Any database with that much information is bound to have more than a a few errors. At least it doesn't think you are located at Delta Airlines' Headquarters. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts