What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where are the 'clock' + 'calculator' apps gone?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
1) where's the 'clock' app? how do i now set stopwatches? count downs? world times? and more importantly, alarms and notifications?

2) where's the calculator app? ok, i can do without this, but i was used to the standard calculator app and used it a lot.

can anyone suggest a really good FREE calculator? preferably something very similar in style and feel to the original?

thanks

Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
1) where's the 'clock' app? how do i now set stopwatches? count downs? world times? and more importantly, alarms and notifications?

2) where's the calculator app? ok, i can do without this, but i was used to the standard calculator app and used it a lot.

can anyone suggest a really good FREE calculator? preferably something very similar in style and feel to the original?

thanks

1) Timer+ can be used for countdowns and is free
Alarm Clock Pro can be used for alarms. There are many with similar names, the one I mean has an icon set to 8:02, or 7:30
2) There are free calculators, but a clever move would be to watch AppShopper until one of the paid ones are sold for free. I got several ones that way. But by far the best one I came across is Digits Calculator for iPad, as it keeps an editable history, you could try the Digits Calculator Lite version first.
Otherwise: CalculatorBox

I have no idea what you mean by original, considering the iPad doesn't come with a calculator, so these suggestions may not be what you expect.

Last edited:
OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
by original i mean the iOS originals that come on the Touch and iPhones.

i'll look into those calc suggestions. ta :)

about the clock app - i'm pretty surprised its gone!

thanks mate

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can I recommend the Big Calculator app. Worth every penny.
What I particularly like is the tape function to one side so you can see a history of your calculations and of course the big buttons for big fingers :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're a geek and need a scientific calculator then PCalc is the one. Has every imaginable function - and then some. You can even change the display style from a retro 7-segment style to an easier-to-read style. And you can make it behave like an HP calculator too - reverse Polish logic, no problem. Plus all the 'usual' physical constants, just in case you happen to need Planck's constant or the mass of an electron...

Can also do calculations in hex, octal and binary and has a tape function too (that you can email). Plus - and this is the absolute geek selling point - it has a function called 'the ultimate answer' which, of course, we all know is '42'.

Tim

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Removing those "widgets" was perhaps the dumbest thing Apple has done with the iPad. The clock and the calculator especially. They were light, easy to launch Apps, ad most of their interface could have been upscaled easily.

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 :)

Removing those "widgets" was perhaps the dumbest thing Apple has done with the iPad. The clock and the calculator especially. They were light, easy to launch Apps, ad most of their interface could have been upscaled easily.

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also miss the "Stocks" widget from the iPhone. Look at the news updates frequently. Anyone have a good replacement?

AceCoolie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do the 3rd party clock apps work in the background like the apple one does on the iPhone? If not, seems like they'd be kind of useless.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Must admit, not missing the standard clock app like I thought I would. Theres always th time displayed onscreen on my iPad anyway, and if I want an alarm or countdown there's a zillion freebees out there tha do this per standard these days.

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The clock app I downloaded does, but it wasn't free. I'll post the name of it as soon as I get home tonight.

Do the 3rd party clock apps work in the background like the apple one does on the iPhone? If not, seems like they'd be kind of useless.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too miss some of the iPhone apps but, oh well, this

gives you the opportunity to find new and better apps. Lots of clock apps out there and far better weather apps than that delivered with the iPhone or iPod Touch. For Stocks, try

iPhone Stocks Application

sipahiro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No calculator on your iPad? Style it up with the Olivetti inspired Red Valentine!
mzl.tgdbosir.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.yadbctnh.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.bvondxov.480x480-75.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts