What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

when will os4 be available for IPAD?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
in the fall, no specific date given yet.
i'm hoping they will put a beta out for devlopers to start testing with it soon.

I'm also hoping they get the update out quick because 4.0 patched around 60 security issues with the 3.x iOS. I'm hoping we wont start seeing people looking at the security issues apple patched and start trying to hack iPads or create virus/worms.

One of the issues patch was to block maliciously crafted BMP, TIFF or JPEG images. So something as simple as loading a webpage or opening an email with a malicious JPEG image could compromise the device.

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fall when the os 4 comes out for the iPad.

I installed the os 4 for my Iphone 3GS 16GB today and it's a lot better. A few more features aswell which is great.

Can't wait for it to come out for the iPad.

Laren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some nice things about os4 (just installed on my iphone). I use my ipad mainly in conjunction with my Photography, when will APPLE realize at photos need to be sorted (displayed) by name and not date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
There are some nice things about os4 (just installed on my iphone). I use my ipad mainly in conjunction with my Photography, when will APPLE realize at photos need to be sorted (displayed) by name and not date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear they are working to make the iLife apps for the iPad like they did with iWorks.
iPhoto, iWeb, etc....

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope they update iOS4 before releasing it for the iPad. I have iOS4 installed on my iPhone 3Gs and without any apps multitasking, it sucked my battery from 100% to 38% in less than 6 hours and I wasn't even using it!

I double checked my settings and found that iOS4 changed two of my email accounts from manual fetch to regular fetch (in addition to adding gmail Notes to the fetch...never saw that before). We'll see how much better my battery performs today now that I turned off Notes fetch and changed back to manual fetch.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of the features are already in the iPad. Right now, I kind of like the delay so we can see them work out any kinks before we deal with it.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have a developer account from apple does that cover iPad development automatically and the that I can get the beta iOS 4 when apple release it? I'm not much of a developer I just love getting the early software.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Hi I have a developer account from apple does that cover iPad development automatically and the that I can get the beta iOS 4 when apple release it? I'm not much of a developer I just love getting the early software.

Yes, apple normaly puts Major updates into beta for developers. But thats it, just major updates. Hopefully we will see a beta for iPad iOS 4.0 soon. The betas normaly get put up about 2-3 months before that actual release to the public. The normaly update the beta every 2 weeks so you start out with iOS 4.0 beta, then beta2, then beta3.... after 4.0 we probably wont see another beta OS until iOS 5.0 next year.

To make sure your ready for when the beta's are released you will want to log into your developer account, go to the iPhone Provisioning Portal and register each of your devices that you plan to install beta iOS on. if you dont register your device on the developer site before installing the iOS beta it will fail while installing and could cause you a lot of trouble.

In order to register a device like an iPhone or iPad what you need to do is get the UDID for the device, this is a unique idendification ID that is different for each device apple makes. Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Select the device in iTunes and look at the default summary tab. Click on the section where it shows your devices Serial Number. Normaly people dont know this but it will change from displaying your Serial Number and give you the devices UDID. you can click it a few more times and get things like Cellular Number, IMEI, but those are not needed to register the device in the developer website.

Your allowed to register up to 99 or 100(i forget witch) devices on your account at any one time. I would also advise no to install beta versions of iOS on devices that are not yours for the simple reason that beta versions of iOS expire about 1 week after a new beta version is released. When the beta version of iOS expires and your are still running an old version the device will lock up and give the connect to iTunes logo. It must then be upgraded to the latest beta build. Once you install a beta version of the iOS it cannot be easily downgraded to the latest public version. So once you load the beta OS, that device is pretty much stuck to only the beta OS versions until the final public version is released. This ticked me off with iOS 4.0 for the iPhone 3Gs since either beta 1 or beta 2 completely broke the camera functionality and If I ever tried to use the camera the phone would freeze.

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice that iOS4 is much slower on my 2nd Gen. iPod touch. Hopefully it won't have as much impact on the iPad.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, apple normaly puts Major updates into beta for developers. But thats it, just major updates. Hopefully we will see a beta for iPad iOS 4.0 soon. The betas normaly get put up about 2-3 months before that actual release to the public. The normaly update the beta every 2 weeks so you start out with iOS 4.0 beta, then beta2, then beta3.... after 4.0 we probably wont see another beta OS until iOS 5.0 next year.

To make sure your ready for when the beta's are released you will want to log into your developer account, go to the iPhone Provisioning Portal and register each of your devices that you plan to install beta iOS on. if you dont register your device on the developer site before installing the iOS beta it will fail while installing and could cause you a lot of trouble.

In order to register a device like an iPhone or iPad what you need to do is get the UDID for the device, this is a unique idendification ID that is different for each device apple makes. Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Select the device in iTunes and look at the default summary tab. Click on the section where it shows your devices Serial Number. Normaly people dont know this but it will change from displaying your Serial Number and give you the devices UDID. you can click it a few more times and get things like Cellular Number, IMEI, but those are not needed to register the device in the developer website.

Your allowed to register up to 99 or 100(i forget witch) devices on your account at any one time. I would also advise no to install beta versions of iOS on devices that are not yours for the simple reason that beta versions of iOS expire about 1 week after a new beta version is released. When the beta version of iOS expires and your are still running an old version the device will lock up and give the connect to iTunes logo. It must then be upgraded to the latest beta build. Once you install a beta version of the iOS it cannot be easily downgraded to the latest public version. So once you load the beta OS, that device is pretty much stuck to only the beta OS versions until the final public version is released. This ticked me off with iOS 4.0 for the iPhone 3Gs since either beta 1 or beta 2 completely broke the camera functionality and If I ever tried to use the camera the phone would freeze.

Thanks for the detailed info. I put the iOS 4 goldmaster on my 3GS but don't remember have to register the device and the process went well. I'm being a bit premature as I don't have my iPad yet but I love iOS 4 and would like it on my iPad! I wonder will iPad apps support iOS 4 this was the only disappointment with having it on the iPhone early only the apple apps supported it.

Most reactions

Latest posts