What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When asked for tip for getting IPAD2 in retail store...

happyhack3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called random Apple stores around me,

asked them when Ipads usually come (does it come everyday or every other day etc..), when during the day does it arrive (AM or PM), and how many does it come..

The apple guy replies: "you should do what everyone else is doing, wait in line at 4 am"

How rude is that?? I know that apple guy recieves thousands of calls like mine, but... oh well..

I am completely new to this forum,

for those who have actually visited the store to buy them,
I now know some wait since 4 am thanks to the apple guy,

does the shipment of ipad arrive at morning?

I ask this because when I went to Glendale Apple store,
they were giving out tickets at 12 pm on Sunday..
was it just left overs?

Basically, could I ask you guys, for me and those poor souls who havent got IPAD2 yet,
all the questions I asked the apple guy?

what type of tips could you give me?

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Sorry to hear of your poor experience with the Apple Store - I think this is completely atypical; I've always found Apple Store employees to be exceptionally polite and helpful. But it might be worth speaking to the Store Manager and making them aware of this. Hope you manage to get your iPad.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have four pieces of advice and it comes from a person who has purchased two iPad2s in two different occasions.

1. Get In line, wake up early, try to be less than the tenth person. Sucks but it's true.

2. While in line, check the target stock checker for the model you want. if you don't get one BOOK IT TO TARGET.

3. Pay Best Buy the 100 to hold it. For most this window has passed. But still good to cover bets.

4. Order it from Apple. It'll take forever and you will be bummed. No way around it.

Check Walmart last. It's still possible. Ask questions and bug people.

Morticia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the apple stores can't tell you when shipments are coming in because they are dependent on the Fedex or UPS guy(or gal) who is making the deliveries.

Both UPS and FedEx have an international express service for delivery by 8:30AM and 10:30am local time...BUT you don't know if apple springs for that or not. Express (most likely what is used since we assume their shipments are coming in from China as well) basically can deliver as late as 5pm.

FedEx Ground service would not be utilized unless the ipads were already in the US and in a warehouse being shipped to the stores.

UPS Ground delivered my smart cover which was shipped from TN.

Good advice in post above: check Target, WalMart and even Verizon in addition to apple. If you really want to roll the dice, check Craigslist and ebay!

Good luck!

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apple guy replies: "you should do what everyone else is doing, wait in line at 4 am"

How rude is that?? I know that apple guy recieves thousands of calls like mine, but... oh well..

I am completely new to this forum,

for those who have actually visited the store to buy them,
I now know some wait since 4 am thanks to the apple guy,

U got to understand that guy, there hundreds of people asking the same questions u did and the quantity of Devices will never match the people going to buy one, in fact theres no other option that success. He just told you the way you can get one.

If there was an easier way, our endless discussion about it wouldve never happen.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad2 on the release date at an apple store and had to return it the following Wednesday. I asked them if they had a replacement one and they said "yes, we get shipment in everyday around 8am and we sell out right after we open the doors". Just try to get there early. Im pretty sure all stores are gettingin shipment daily. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6300 using iPad Forums

bored2426

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called my apple store and they said their procedure is to hold shipments received that day for next morning sales beginning at 9 am. He also told me that people start lining up outside from 4-7 ish. He said the line to get ipads daily has been at least 70-100 each day. He was not able to tell me how many they get in a shipment though. He did suggest to line up early. Hope that helps.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here, the shipments come during the day but they don't put them out until 0900 the next morning. I found if I call in the evening, they'll let me know what to expect.

Yesterday I got in line at 0815 for a 0900 opening and the line was quite long. Apparently there is no rhyme or reason to how many they're shipping. The associate who helped me said they had more that day than they did for launch.

Keep trying, if you want one.

max6spd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered mine through the Apple site yesterday. My feeling is that Apple may fulfill their direct orders faster than say Best Buy or Target. According to one BB guy I spoke to, they only get like 10 per shipment.

My expected arrival date is 4/25.

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
His advice was correct and not rude, just the truth. I asked yesterday in store when they were expecting some in. They have an idea of when and how much but they never really know until the morning when it comes so thats why they cant give you a strait answer. Its store policy. He

One associate told me to get there by 6am, as last week there were 100 people. I showed up at 5:30am this morning, 21st in line. I got my iPad at 9 when they opened as did EVERYONE in line. At about 8:45 they said they received a "substantial" amount. When they came around with tickets the guy had TWO FIST FULLS!! Easily over a hundred behind the counter and more in the back.

Luck has a lot to do with it. Go early and go often. Best of luck.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twism86 said:
His advice was correct and not rude, just the truth. I asked yesterday in store when they were expecting some in. They have an idea of when and how much but they never really know until the morning when it comes so thats why they cant give you a strait answer. Its store policy. He

One associate told me to get there by 6am, as last week there were 100 people. I showed up at 5:30am this morning, 21st in line. I got my iPad at 9 when they opened as did EVERYONE in line. At about 8:45 they said they received a "substantial" amount. When they came around with tickets the guy had TWO FIST FULLS!! Easily over a hundred behind the counter and more in the back.

Luck has a lot to do with it. Go early and go often. Best of luck.

When I went to the store today to swap out my iPad, they had units for sale. They said they've gotten huge shipments the las few days.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered mine through the Apple site yesterday. My feeling is that Apple may fulfill their direct orders faster than say Best Buy or Target. According to one BB guy I spoke to, they only get like 10 per shipment.

My expected arrival date is 4/25.

I ordered mine from apple.com as well. They are very efficient, and I like confidence as a buyer. My arrival date is the 28th. Until then, I am still trying to get to an apple store because I don't mind waiting in line for 5 hours one day instead of 35 days. They don't take the money out until it ships. Do like so many others. Order as a last resort, but whenever you get a chance, run by the store at 6 am. You just might luck out before it ships. However, I am hoping that Apple will have pity on our pious and devout souls and catch up with their shipments. I would never shop retail again!

Amok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear positive experiences of Apple stores receiving regular deliveries. My hope is they are going to people who then go home and cancel their on line order moving us all up in the queue. They'd to that right, move us up in the queue?

I'll just keep thinking that when I'm at work every morning.

Martinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do what I did, wait till a shipment rumor come our, like the march 22nd one, then wake up early and stand in line. My apple store got over 100 iPads and they had some left over after the big rush.

Most reactions

Latest posts