What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best way to update a brand new iPad after the iOS6 release?

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting a new iPad (first ever Apple device) on Sept 28 - after the iOS6 release. We have no computers in our family & are fully post-pc & will be relying on iCloud for backups.

As an experienced Android user, if this was an android device, I know that the update would be "pushed" to my device. On a new device I would then do a full Factory Reset to perform a clean wipe/reinstall of the newest OS.

• Can someone please explain the way that my new iPad will update to iOS6?
  • Will it be "pushed"? Or do I have to ask for the update? If so, how?
  • Should I do a full Factory Reset after getting the update? I'm assuming that this would wipe data and do a full install of the new iOS 6 & not the 5.1 shipped with the iPad. Is that correct?
  • I'm assuming that the first thing I should do is the iOS 6 update, prior to any transfer of data / installing of apps. Is that right?

As a newcomer to Apple/iOS, I'd appreciate any guidance offered. Thanks in advance :)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All devices built as of this week will have iOS 6 installed in the factory. The Gold Master was made available yesterday to developers, and I'm sure to Foxconn as well.

If yours does not, its a simple matter of updating thru iTunes.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you stated you don't have a PC and therefore won't be able to update through iTunes, you will be relying on the OTA update method. Fortunately this is extremely easy.

Once you power up your device and complete the initial configuration wizard (which will connect you to the internet via your home wifi), you will simply go to Settings > General > Software Update and choose install. The rest of the upgrade process will be automatic. It does not matter which version of IOS 5.x your device comes with, it will update fine, but chances are the stock you get will have 5.1.1 installed. Unlike other devices you may have experience of, there is no need to do a reset or anything else once the process is completed.

Hope that clarifies, and hope you enjoy your new device! :D

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed the no PC comment.

There is no loss of data or apps with an iOS update. You don't have to do anything special, however without a PC you will want to do a full backup to iCloud before installing the update.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not trying to have an argument with you thewitt, but since the device will be brand spanking new out of the box, there is absolutely no requirement to perform an iCloud backup prior to the OTA update. It will never be utilised or be of any value for a future restore since the user will have no apps, data, or other files installed yet. The device will back itself up automatically on IO6 later that day, assuming he plugs it in on charge and leaves it connected to wifi.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brand spanking new won't do anything, including update iOS. You need to start it up first. You are right you can skip the backup, but I would do it anyway.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brand spanking new won't do anything, including update iOS. You need to start it up first. You are right you can skip the backup, but I would do it anyway.

Which is exactly why my first post told him to complete the initial setup wizard and get connected to his home wifi..., prior to performing the OTA update. At least do me the courtesy of reading what was written if the intention is to contradict the accurate advice I am trying to give to one of our members relevant to the scenario they have clearly described...

Last edited:
OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you stated you don't have a PC and therefore won't be able to update through iTunes, you will be relying on the OTA update method. Fortunately this is extremely easy.

Once you power up your device and complete the initial configuration wizard (which will connect you to the internet via your home wifi), you will simply go to Settings > General > Software Update and choose install. The rest of the upgrade process will be automatic. It does not matter which version of IOS 5.x your device comes with, it will update fine, but chances are the stock you get will have 5.1.1 installed. Unlike other devices you may have experience of, there is no need to do a reset or anything else once the process is completed.

Hope that clarifies, and hope you enjoy your new device! :D

That's very clear. Thanks very much. :) Sounds very straightforward. Its good to know there is no merit in doing a reset - which isn't the case on the Asus tf101 which has been my main device for the past year.

Since you are in the UK, you might be interested to know I'll be buying from John Lewis - full 2 year warranty & having had a conversation with them, they tell me that pretty much any hardware failure means they will send me a brand new iPad as a replacement & collect the faulty one via a courier at their expense at any point during the 2 years. Sounds like superb customer care & great value for money - being free :D

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's very clear. Thanks very much. :) Sounds very straightforward. Its good to know there is no merit in doing a reset - which isn't the case on the Asus tf101 which has been my main device for the past year.

Since you are in the UK, you might be interested to know I'll be buying from John Lewis - full 2 year warranty & having had a conversation with them, they tell me that pretty much any hardware failure means they will send me a brand new iPad as a replacement & collect the faulty one via a courier at their expense at any point during the 2 years. Sounds like superb customer care & great value for money - being free :D

You're welcome.

Yes, a few friends have benefited from the JL 2 year guarantee. I have to admit, most (all) of my iDevices are usually purchased on the morning they are released by Apple, having queued outside the Apple store in Glasgow from the wee small hours! (sad, I know).
Also, in my experience, issues usually crop up immediately or soon after purchase, so replacements using Apple's excellent 1 year service have always worked perfectly for me. Definitely worth having the 2 year cushion for free if it suits you though!
In the interests of balance, you might also be interested to know that purchasing from the Apple store means you can walk in there any time if you have a fault and you tend to get a brand new replacement on the spot free of charge for any defect. No hassle of sending a new one out and sending the old one back. Trust me, on the off chance your iPad breaks, you will be desperate for a replacement immediately! :D

But don't let me talk you out of the John Lewis deal. It's certainly a good one and worthy of consideration. You do whatever suits you best.

Hope you enjoy your new device. You know where we are if you run into any problems.

Last edited:
OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I had planned to buy from an Apple Store, but the nearest one is 45 miles away :(
I was then going to buy AppleCare from either CeX or Ebay where it is £30-£35.

When I saw JL gave 2 years & would deliver to our local Waitrose, that was a bonus, hence the conversation about the customer service & after care.

I'm sure I won't be a stranger - I like the "chatting" on Forums. :)

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts