What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What uses my storage

MicroSun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 32gb iPad3. The new device reports a 28 Gb free storage and it is acceptable. (i know the os need storage and the 1000/1024 conversion)
After installing some apps and videos ipad reports that I use 12Gb storage and there is 16Gb free. However when I make a summary of each application storage usage the sum is only 8Gb. Where is the 4Gb (12-8), what aplication uses it and how can I free it up?

Thanks in advance!

OP
M

MicroSun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, what? I don't understand. What does it mean tin the apps?

OP
M

MicroSun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry , it's still not clear. :(

IPad3 has 1GB RAM and 32GB flash memory as storage.
The 32GB is only 29,8GB after the (1024/1000 byte) conversion.
The IOS needs ~2GB storage so we have ~28GB free storage. This is alright until this point. The fresh device really reported 28GB free storage.

After that I have installed some apps and uploaded some photos and videos. The total size of the apps and media files is 8GB according to IPad app storage usage list. So there should be 20GB free storage(28-8). But IPad reports only 16GB free storage.
Installing an app requires storage. Run an app requires RAM but not storage.

So I still don't understand where is the missing 4GB (20-16).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Photos,books and data stored by the apps also take up storage.

image-1808035837.jpgHere's a shot of how the storage on my iPad is used.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MicroSun said:
Sorry , it's still not clear. :(

IPad3 has 1GB RAM and 32GB flash memory as storage.
The 32GB is only 29,8GB after the (1024/1000 byte) conversion.
The IOS needs ~2GB storage so we have ~28GB free storage. This is alright until this point. The fresh device really reported 28GB free storage.

After that I have installed some apps and uploaded some photos and videos. The total size of the apps and media files is 8GB according to IPad app storage usage list. So there should be 20GB free storage(28-8). But IPad reports only 16GB free storage.
Installing an app requires storage. Run an app requires RAM but not storage.

So I still don't understand where is the missing 4GB (20-16).

Hello MicroSun, I hope this helps you understand how your storage drive is being used. Go to Settings, Go to General, Go to Usage. You will have a list of installed apps. See picture one. If you click on an app, you will see the detail of that app. See picture two. You can also go here to remove apps from your iPad. Each app takes up space for itself. depending on the app, documents and data will also take up space. That, I think is where the "missing" storage went.

Picture 1

444d98c8.jpg

Picture 2

2d20dd9e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

MicroSun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it is clear that the app needs storage and the data as well.
On Picture 1 you can see the app+data usage together.
For example MacLife is 202MB (201MB app + 1MB data).

On Picture 1 you can see that the summary is 23.7GB used storage.
And so if I make a summary of 9.0+2.3+0.55+0.46+0.40+0.37+0.36+0.26+0.2+0.19+... This should be also 23.7, shouldn't be? In my case here is the 4GB calculation error (missing storage, magic... :) )

Most reactions

Latest posts