What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size memory is most often bought and why?

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the preferred memory size, 16 GB/32 GB/64 GB and why? Just wondering... From what I noticed it seems that 32 GB must be bought more often because two places were out of them yet all had the 16 GB in black.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have no option

All iPad 2s come with 512 meg of memory. The original iPad had 256 meg of memory.

If you are talking about storage then get as much as you need. I have a 64 gig 3G and wifi and supplement that with a 500 gig wifi external drive for a total of 564 gig. I am a photographer with lots of images.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All iPad 2s come with 512 meg of memory. The original iPad had 256 meg of memory.

If you are talking about storage then get as much as you need. I have a 64 gig 3G and wifi and supplement that with a 500 gig wifi external drive for a total of 564 gig. I am a photographer with lots of images.

Wow, I screwed up. I did mean storage even though it would be nice if the next iPad would come with twice the memory.
I can see that if you start putting images on the iPad the 64 gig won't go far. I have an 80 gig iPod and there isn't too much space left for music or images.
Apart from that though I assume everybody has their own requirements.

PS What your signature says about your Wolfhound applies to my Rottweiler too;-)

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64 gig, and paid a significant amount more for it. As a heavy user, I doubt I've ever topped 10 gigs. With dropbox, I have little use for it.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 64 gig, and paid a significant amount more for it. As a heavy user, I doubt I've ever topped 10 gigs. With dropbox, I have little use for it.

The price for the 64 gig with wifi and 3G steered me to the middle, especially with rumours that the iPad3 is on the horizon.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got the 64GB Wifi model because I like to be able to add music or movies when I travel.

Getting back to the OPs question, I read an article that claimed that the most popular model has 64GB of storage. I can't remember if it was a wifi or 3G model, however. I think spending the extra for storage makes sense, at least for me. Constantly running out of space would bother me.

tkgraham13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got 64g wifi because I store lots of photos and my phone is a hotspot

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should get as much as you can afford. That seems to be a good rule of thumb.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always bought the biggest gig in the devices that do more(Internet, pics, movies, etc) because it is too easy to run out of space quickly on those. But on mp3 players, I've always bought the size that matched my use of the device. I just workout & run & have short commutes, so just a few hundred of my favorite songs will do just fine.
I think it depends on the device really.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What an odd article. To wit...

"...The research was done by Context in Western Europe and it found that more than half of all iPad buyers would choose either the 64GB 3G model (also the most expensive), which accounted for roughly 33% of sales, or the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model (curiously the least expensive model), which received 22% of sales. On that evidence, as TheAppleBlog points out, consumers are going “all or nothing” – and many more seem to be saying “all”...

Although the title of the article is technically accurate, the numbers actually imply that the most popular model is neither the most expensive nor the cheapest. It's the 32 G model with 45% of sales. Arithmetic is apparently a challenge for some tech writers. :)

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should get as much as you can afford. That seems to be a good rule of thumb.
I

LOL If I go by that rule of thumb, I would have no PC...nothing:) I justify my purchases by planning to hand them down to my kids or their kids. It worked for awhile but now their stuff is more up-to-date than mine, especially when supplied by the companies they work for.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LawPad2 said:

I have 64GBS as well as I will have my pad for a while and don't want to run out of storage.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What an odd article. To wit...

"...The research was done by Context in Western Europe and it found that more than half of all iPad buyers would choose either the 64GB 3G model (also the most expensive), which accounted for roughly 33% of sales, or the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model (curiously the least expensive model), which received 22% of sales. On that evidence, as TheAppleBlog points out, consumers are going “all or nothing” – and many more seem to be saying “all”...

Although the title of the article is technically accurate, the numbers actually imply that the most popular model is neither the most expensive nor the cheapest. It's the 32 G model with 45% of sales. Arithmetic is apparently a challenge for some tech writers. :)

Seems to me that reporters/writers of all shades aren't exactly at the head of their class when it comes to arithmetic or veracity.

Most reactions

Latest posts