What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size iPad did you buy? And how much space are you using?

ICONYK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all. I am buying my iPad this week and am fighting with myself on what size I would need. I am wondering what all size you all bought, and how much you have filled yours up so far?

I have a 16g iPhone 3Gs currently and I have 9 gig available. Not sure if you that gives any idea of my usage.

Thanks for any feedback! I am buying either 16 or 32. I do not have a lot of music. Its the app sizes I am wondering about, and what all you are seeing.

mpengle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i probably won't use a ton of space for apps themselves, but for me, I have a ton of movies I plan to use my Ipad for. So I am planning to buy the 64G 3g version when it comes out for sale.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the 16 and I have used about 3 gigs. No music just files, photos, and one or two movies with the netflix app I don't need as man as I had thought. And I use mine more than I should. :D

trnjackie23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb iPhone 3gs and I used only about 5gb for almost a year now since I got it so I picked up a 16gb ipad :D

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard someone say to double the size of the storage on your current iPod / touch - and then buy the next size up. I was working on my iPod Touch's storage last night =- moving things around, etc. and I realized that I rarely if ever watch video / movies / tv on mine - screen is too small. I think that will change when I get my iPad.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if you buy the smaller size you can always buy an AirStash and have unlimited memory. Mine should be shipping by 4/30 so I'll let you guys know how it works.

Dallasfoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded 44 apps...I have 29 gigs...27 gigs free...32gig iPad....tons of
Free books downloaded so far...I think unless you plan on storing vids....why bother...the netflix streaming is awesome...seems the 32 will be enough. But who knows...this device may wind up replacing everything in the house.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Books and apps don't eat too much space (unless you bout Xe).
I have a 32gb and use about 21gb, but I've just started to get used to GoodReader and AirShare. That will give at least at office documents some relieve.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - let us know about the airstash. Also about how it manages battery power. Have you tried managing extra storage from mobile me?

One last note re storage - doesn't it make sense to buy as much storage capacity as you can afford? Two reasons - one is that your need for storage isn't going to decrease, and two - when / if you ever go to sell your iPad to buy v2 or whatever - won't 64gb models be much more attractive to sell than 16's?

Zardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB I use the iPad mostly for web and Internet and less for multi media I am using about 5GB right now as I did but a full copy of avatar on it, so I am not real hungry for space ...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a 16GB, and will use all of it on international flights, when I will pre-load it with several different movies and/or tv shows

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a 32gb, and have used only 12gb so far. I was very concerned about space, but not anymore. I am looking forward to a more streamlined way of saving files to MobileMe when the new OS hits this fall-hopefully that will happen.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I say the bigger the better. If the Ipad had an SD card or such then it would not matter. This is a new type of product and many people have 5+ gb of space already used up. What will happen in a year? The other solutions such as Airstash will probably work but I argue that they present additional battery management and extra item to carry issues.

I had the same concern that you did and started out the 16gb. I then did some stupid math

499 / 16 = 31.19 Per GB
599 / 32 = 18 .72 Per GB
699 / 64 = 10.92 Per GB
629 / 16 = 39.31 Per GB
729 / 32 = 22.78 Per GB
829 / 64 = 12.95 Per GB
Its sort of like buying a house. You can add rooms or move walls if you don't like they way they are, but you can't change the location of the property if the neighborhood sucks.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64GB model and I have about 40GB left. Unless it's a money issue it seems like that is the best one to get...$200 more for 4x more storage is a no-brainer.

Most reactions

Latest posts