What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What new features would make you upgrade to Mini 2?

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I doubt I would upgrade anytime soon, even if the Mini 2 has Retina/ better SOC etc.. Main reason being: My Mini is adequate for my needs. That said, I was curious what features/upgrades would justify upgrading to the Mini 2 for all of you?

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A builtin gps (i use external now and not for travelling as I use my phone for that), more bluetooth profiles (although the important ones are there), Retina display, support flash drives (so I can transfer from my camera, view in ipad and transfer to flash drive). and ... errrr .... does not matter, I will upgrade anyway. I'll give the current one to one of my children/relative and buy the new one. I still use my Iphone 3GS though as it does what I need from it and it is rock solid 5 years on. But the Ipad became much more important to me for my daily activities.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't buy the original mini because I didn't want a new device that was much like iPad 2. I already owned an iPad 2 and was encountering sluggishness and crashes, which have appeared with increasing frequency. For my uses, I want better guts and retina screen. I'll buy the next mini unless Apple gives me reason not to. I like my iPad 4 (which replaced my iPad 1), but would like to upgrade my iPad 2.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Faster CPU, and higher PPI screen. However if these upgrades involve a larger battery (heavier and thicker) and more heat from the faster CPU, I'm not entirely sure I would want it.

I am curious if iOS 7 will drag down the performance of the Mini as iOS 5 did for the original iPad. I will wait for performance testing before I give up it's current performance, and my black keyboard and 10 icons in the dock tweaks.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice to have an iPad Mini with Retina display, but I doubt if I'll buy the second version if that's all that would be upgraded. I'm fine with my iPad Mini as is. The only thing that would make a difference with the Retina would be text (I use the Kindle app and Flipboard regularly) but I am able to read those with no problems. I got rid of my iPad 2 for the Mini, and although the resolution is the same, it was the size and portability that sold me on the Mini. I don't miss my iPad 2 at all.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found out that when you close unused apps on the ipad the performance is pretty spectacular. Also I forgot if ipad mini had a gps because all of the apps seems to know where I am, so I just assumed it did. As for ipad mini camera kit allowing you to transfer pictures to the ipad mini and an app to setup ipad mini as a file server to android tablets with an sd card slot, in theory pictures or files can be routed in and out of ipad mini with no problem.
What ipad mini does not have is the following:
200 hours battery life
A7 octacore processor 4 gHz speed
4GB ram
512 GB storage

I'm just saying... it could happen.

thormcse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad mini with 4g and that version does have a GPS. The wifi only one does not. I know the next will have retina. This one was strategic so they could make an assload of money, then release retina and make more. I am not complaining, it's business. I just didn't like the full size iPad or my 10 inch android tablet. If I'm going to carry something that big, might as well carry a laptop. I love the minis size and its perfect for what I wanted to do with a tablet except, I can't see this outside during daylight but I can see my iPhone 5 fine. So, if the new one has retina, I will get and this one will be gifted down to another family member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Note GLONASS is not GPS, but it's similar and was made by the Russians.
Digital compass and Assisted GPS.

I suspect this is what Qualcomm does on their baseband chip.

sngmnl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I won't buy it, because I was thinking on the possibility of waiting for the mini2 before buying the mini but the current version fits quite well on my use. In addition of that I've heard somewhere on the Web it will probably be heavier and thicker which is something I don't want no matter what new features will be added.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Wingennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 4th gen iPad. It has taken over every task my desktop and MacBook were used for except for games. I would love to have the mini for traveling but wouldn't want to go backwards in terms of RAM and processing speed. I couldn't care less about having the retina screen on the mini.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I won't buy it, because I was thinking on the possibility of waiting for the mini2 before buying the mini but the current version fits quite well on my use. In addition of that I've heard somewhere on the Web it will probably be heavier and thicker which is something I don't want no matter what new features will be added.

It all depends on how much heavier and thicker.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't buy the original mini because I didn't want a new device that was much like iPad 2. I already owned an iPad 2 and was encountering sluggishness and crashes, which have appeared with increasing frequency. For my uses, I want better guts and retina screen. I'll buy the next mini unless Apple gives me reason not to. I like my iPad 4 (which replaced my iPad 1), but would like to upgrade my iPad 2.

There must be some differences that we don't know of with the mini and iPad 2. I have 300 apps on mine and it is never slow & sluggish.

But I too want better guts and retina screen before spending any more money on Apple.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There must be some differences that we don't know of with the mini and iPad 2. I have 300 apps on mine and it is never slow & sluggish.

But I too want better guts and retina screen before spending any more money on Apple.

I figure there must be diffs, because mini was a blend of old and new, rather than an exact replica of iPad 2. For me, there wasn't enough inducement with the blend, especially since iPad 4 came out at the same time.

For me, iPad 2 can store lots of apps -- they just crash with annoyingly increasing frequency, especially with browsing. My preferences are to have multiple tabs open at the same time and to read lots of blogs that are heavy on graphics and such. iPad 2 is struggling with that.

The thing is, my browsing habits haven't changed in the three years that I've been using iPads. But iOS versions, apps, websites, images, etc., have gotten more demanding, and crashes happen with more frequency, even on newer hardware (but are especially notable in older iPads).

I know that my iPad 1s rarely crashed the first year or so that I had them, but demands from apps, etc., we're fewer. I figure there must be firmware probs, too, as with lots of platforms -- the weaknesses become more and more apparent as more and more is demanded. Apple hadn't even introduced its version of multitasking then.

sngmnl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion the weight of the current ipad mini it's just about to surpass the limit of being a too heavy for being a portable device. So if the next version is heavier I don't see the evolution.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I figure there must be diffs, because mini was a blend of old and new, rather than an exact replica of iPad 2. For me, there wasn't enough inducement with the blend, especially since iPad 4 came out at the same time.

For me, iPad 2 can store lots of apps -- they just crash with annoyingly increasing frequency, especially with browsing. My preferences are to have multiple tabs open at the same time and to read lots of blogs that are heavy on graphics and such. iPad 2 is struggling with that.

The thing is, my browsing habits haven't changed in the three years that I've been using iPads. But iOS versions, apps, websites, images, etc., have gotten more demanding, and crashes happen with more frequency, even on newer hardware (but are especially notable in older iPads).

I know that my iPad 1s rarely crashed the first year or so that I had them, but demands from apps, etc., we're fewer. I figure there must be firmware probs, too, as with lots of platforms -- the weaknesses become more and more apparent as more and more is demanded. Apple hadn't even introduced its version of multitasking then.

They may be better memory management going on in Safari too. I keep lots of windows open, and apps, and they all have graphics. I suspect most users do a similar thing too.

Most reactions

Latest posts