What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the point?

lanalowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I love Apple products, however I do not get the point of the ipad mini. Anyone else with me on this?

It's a little smaller than the ipad and a little bigger than the iphone..

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because some people have littler hands. Or they want something that fits in a smaller place. Or they want something lighter to hold over a few hours time. Or they simple want something that is cheaper that does the same thing.

There could be any number of reasons. But those are the top 4 in my opinion.

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The point for me is that it is smaller. Which for me is more conducive to reading in bed. Which after holding my wife's kindle fire vs my ipad 2 it seemed that the fire was about the ideal size. The ipad mini is very close. The iPhone was okay but too small for a lot of reading in on sitting.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skull One said:
Because some people have littler hands. Or they want something that fits in a smaller place. Or they want something lighter to hold over a few hours time. Or they simple want something that is cheaper that does the same thing.

There could be any number of reasons. But those are the top 4 in my opinion.

Spot on! I wanted an iPad but the size kept me from buying it. The iPad mini is my next purchase.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For people who can't afford the much larger version but still want an iPad, the iPad mini might be more practical. A nice entry point to introduce people to the iPad family.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The smaller size of the iPad Mini may also be more appropriate for parents who wish to introduce their young children to tablet computers.

Last edited:

Threelions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me I needed something to use on the commute to work and at lunch times, iPhone is ok at a stretch but its not an ipad so the mini is perfect.

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The smaller size of the iPad Mini may also be more appropriate for parents who wish to introduce their young children to tablet computers.

That's the reason behind my purchase

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the size is ideal for nearly everything I want to do and it is not as 'cumbersome' as the large ipad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
n4uau said:
I think the size is ideal for nearly everything I want to do and it is not as 'cumbersome' as the large ipad.

What's important here is that you're satisfied, it doesn't matter how anyone else feels about the iPad Mini. After all, it's you that will be using the device, not the others who may have differing opinions.

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, I've had every version of the iPad. Love it. I'm one who carries it everywhere, whether I end up using it or not. I like having it with me. I put it in my purse with everything else I need to carry. It can get a little heavy. I decided on the iPad mini because its lighter, easier to fit in a smaller purse and my shoulder doesn't hurt after a while. Lol. I still have my iPad 3-will probably end up keeping it for home use. Now did I NEED another iPad? No. I wanted the iPad mini. For multiple reasons, one bonus reason: I can hold the iPad mini and type with my thumbs-like you would when texting. Love that because it means I don't have to prop it up on a table or my lap to type. Might be a small thing, but its significant for me. Look, bottom line is everyone has a different reason for buying the mini. Is it out of necessity? Probably not. But I love my gadgets and ill keep buying them if I'm compelled enough to do so.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Don't get me wrong I love Apple products, however I do not get the point of the ipad mini. Anyone else with me on this?

It's a little smaller than the ipad and a little bigger than the iphone..

why not? everyone has their own reasons. For Apple, i suspect a huge reason is so they can compete in all aspects of the tablet market. this mini or in-between size had Apple excluded until now. they couldn't have that could they? ;)

Personally, i do kinda see your point. i wouldn't want one as i have a full fat ipad. no point. but as said, tons of personal reasons. why spend almost double on a device when you can better suit your needs with a lite-version? also, Apple has huge resources so even if it fails, they wont financially really loose out. more options more choices. all good for us.

Seobaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have small thin hands. I will be using the mini all day and it will be hard if I had the iPad. I held the iPad once at the apple store and I thought "Wow, it's big and it's heavy." Also, I do not like bulky things.

But we had it mostly because it's cheaper but it has all the same functions of the iPad except for the retina display.

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am really enjoyed the mini its great lovely and compact and light and great to go traveling its perfect apple did a good move in making the mini and i think in time the mini is going to sell really well maybe better then the 9'7inch iPads.I actually use the iPad mini more then i use
the 9'7inch iPad because it lighter and it doesn't feel like brick after a lot of use and you cannot hold it in one hand for long periods on time

(What the point of the mini)

The whole point of the mini was apple to get in the 7inch tablet market and break through and to have a lot of tablets on offer so that it suite everyone needs which they are doing some people like the bigger iPads some people like the minis its just personal preference at the end of the day if we all liked the same thing life would be very boring.

Another way to look at it is like this if you owned a company and you were making tablets as a business and you only made the 9'7 inch tablets in the begin would you merge in to making more tablets and different sizes i think you would personally to try and make more money for you company.

If you were a company owner and you were turning over a million you outlook should be want to be making 2 million or possible 3 milliion that is good business sense always setting goals in your company and fingers crossed getting them goals at the end of the year.That all apple are doing is setting goals and getting them goals at the end of the year there figures have been great with the iPad if they thought they were going to be running it at a lose they wouldn't of even bothered to put the plan on the drawing board and started production

Just remember money talks and apple have done really well with there 9'7 versions of there apple products and thought right it time to cut in tot the smaller version to get more revenue in to the company which will happen in time.

It might take a while for apple to get good revenue for the ipad minis there new they aren't expected miracles at this moment in time but they will monitor the sale figures

Figure wont tell lies

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mini makes a better reader than the maxi pad. Easier to hold, easier to place in coat pocket. Makes infinite sense.

Most reactions