What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the perfect stand to use with the iPad in bed?

Surboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a stand that will allow me to hold my iPad comfortably whilst using it in bed to read, watch movies, etc. Does anyone know what is the best choice of accessory stand available? Many thanks!

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surboy said:
I am looking for a stand that will allow me to hold my iPad comfortably whilst using it in bed to read, watch movies, etc. Does anyone know what is the best choice of accessory stand available? Many thanks!

I remeber seeing a picture of someone using his cat as a stand. I am trying to train mine, but she is a Forest cat and as soon as she hears a Gekko, she is gone hunting.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipad 7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stand

I persuade my wife (married for 35 yrs.-seems like forever) to hold the ipad and turn the pages. It leaves my hands free to eat popcorn or pet my dog. It's wonderful, cheap and includes my wife in my hobby. :p

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You naughty boy! My hubby would kill me if I tried that one. I'm trying to get him to buy me a 64gb 3G so he can have mine but no luck so far. I just use my legs, cushion/ pillow or just the original apple cover to read in bed. Oh, yes, one of those lap trays with polystyrene balls in.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
You naughty boy! My hubby would kill me if I tried that one. I'm trying to get him to buy me a 64gb 3G so he can have mine but no luck so far. I just use my legs, cushion/ pillow or just the original apple cover to read in bed. Oh, yes, one of those lap trays with polystyrene balls in.

I am sure your hubby won't do anythinng if you hold the Ipad and turn the pages. I am sure he will be very happy..........

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Zaggmate all the way! My BF uses the switcheasy canvas. His works well too.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Before we got our case, I fashioned a DYI support stand for bed using a standard clipboard. I had a piece of closed cell foam. Captured half of it with the big clip. Then the other half is a support for the iPad. Turn the clip board upside down with the clip down. Now the iPad is raised up from your body by a few inches and it is a lot easier to use. Cost is good. FWIW

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I might chime in with an actual helpful answer... I don't know if either of these are the "best," but there are two I've been looking at, easily Google-able:

Spinpad - Ostensibly a desk-stand, but with the heavy base, reviews state it can also be used in bed. You can purchase this on Amazon for $29. It came out before the Ipad2 and I've read that they are "retooling" it for the Ipad2, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with an Ipad2.

Iprop - This is a very intriguing floor-standing device with a goose-neck end for flexibility. I believe this goes for around $65 and will be available for purchase next month.

Others - I read some very informative thread a week or two ago that listed a large number of interesting, uh, pillow-talk options that sit on your lap. Do a forum search for "pillow" and you'll probably find it. If you can't find what you're looking for there, you're waaaaaay too picky. :p

Both products I mention also allow you to spin the Ipad to portrait or landscape positioning. Here are photos of the Spinpad, and Iprop, respectively:

AD-ERS-LST-010.JPG

iProp_1_610x422.PNG

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikeVB said:
If I might chime in with an actual helpful answer... I don't know if either of these are the "best," but there are two I've been looking at, easily Google-able:

Spinpad - Ostensibly a desk-stand, but with the heavy base, reviews state it can also be used in bed. You can purchase this on Amazon for $29. It came out before the Ipad2 and I've read that they are "retooling" it for the Ipad2, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with an Ipad2.

Iprop - This is a very intriguing floor-standing device with a goose-neck end for flexibility. I believe this goes for around $65 and will be available for purchase next month.

Others - I read some very informative thread a week or two ago that listed a large number of interesting, uh, pillow-talk options that sit on your lap. Do a forum search for "pillow" and you'll probably find it. If you can't find what you're looking for there, you're waaaaaay too picky. :p

Both products I mention also allow you to spin the Ipad to portrait or landscape positioning. Here are photos of the Spinpad, and Iprop, respectively:

ouch! I thought my suggestion was helpful. I use my zaggmate in bed to watch video hands free with no problem.

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a great one and two have my eye...Oberon.com and google best iPad cases five n one and wow I loved that one too!!!Usually I pick prrettttttty stuff but this five n one was just amazing lol

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are the only company shipping an actual stand for the bed specifically.

I wish I had the money for one of those, they look awesome for watching netflix in bed.

Sendbeer -- It DOES look awesome but maybe you missed the IProp I mention above. It seems to be exactly the same thing yet costs half the price of the Padholder. So why go with the latter? I'm on IProp's email list and was informed there will be an announcement this month of a shipping date next month (i.e., May, hope they didn't lie to me). So maybe you DO have the money for one of those two....

All in all there appears to be at least four of this flexible type stand for sofas and beds, etc. at least in this thread As far as I can tell the Iprop offers the best in functionality and value for price, but you gotta love that there are so many competing products -- we consumers win!!

iProp? -Hands-Free accessory for the Apple iPad ®

Most reactions