What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to clone multiple iPads

icebun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to clone around 20 iPads in the next few weeks for work and was wondering what the best way to do this is?

My initial thought was to set everything up as I want it complete with the apps all configured.

Then carryout a backup to iTunes on a PC.

Once done, simply restore the settings on the 20 units from the backup image, making sure I change the iPad name and other small personalisation changes as well.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to clone around 20 iPads in the next few weeks for work and was wondering what the best way to do this is?

My initial thought was to set everything up as I want it complete with the apps all configured.

Then carryout a backup to iTunes on a PC.

Once done, simply restore the settings on the 20 units from the backup image, making sure I change the iPad name and other small personalisation changes as well.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Yes. That's what I've done with several iPads, including the two I use daily.

I've had it work fine for all my content -- movies, music, apps. But I don't know whether it works with all apps (say if you had documents on some app, would they all transfer).

Once I duplicated everything onto the new iPad, I changed its name and selected synching choices manually in iTunes on PC, so that I varied content as desired on each iPad.

OP
I

icebun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

I am also now looking at using the iPhone config utility for doing the same thing.

Right now I have managed to install an app and add a web clip to the home screen.

Most reactions