What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best device for recording and producing music?

Splawkin19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm trying to decide whether to buy an iPad mini or a Mac. I'd like to record my songs and possibly produce them using Apple software. Any suggestions? Also, do any of you Voiceover users know how to successfully use iRig recorder?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad has three advantages over a Mac: portability, the touch user interface (not to be underestimated), and price. Though there is some overlap on the last. In all other areas (computer power, available peripherals, and powerful apps) a Mac is the more capable device for just about everything, including music creation.

So the real question is if the iPad will be enough for what you want, or if you need/want and can afford a more powerful solution.

Both amateurs and professionals have created some amazing things using nothing but iPhones and/or iPads, but I don't think any of them would argue that a more powerful setup couldn't have done more and better.

Of course, if money is not a major obstacle, at least in the long term, you can start with an iPad and add a Mac and more gear as you grow into it. The iPad wont' stop being useful just because you get a Mac later. I've seen a few articles about musicians using then together to produce great music.

These are just my general thoughts on the subject. I'm not a musician myself, and have no significant experience with the recording or production of music.

SynapticGroove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm trying to decide whether to buy an iPad mini or a Mac. I'd like to record my songs and possibly produce them using Apple software. Any suggestions? Also, do any of you Voiceover users know how to successfully use iRig recorder?

An iPad is great for soft synths and the DM-1 is a great beat box, but a Mac would be a better choice for a number of reasons:

1. Logic. Apple's DAW is amazing. I've used it for years and it is an industry standard.

2. USB 3.0. You'll probably want an external HD as multitrack audio sessions get extremely large. 8 tracks of audio at a minute length could easily weigh in at 100mb.

3. Multiple Monitor support. It is very convenient to have dual monitors, one for tracking and the other for your mixer/vst/au plugins

ssmita76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.technoscore.net
Both iPad and Mac are the products from Apple. In terms of display, power consumption, and other features iPad is considered as more advanced. Mac almost looks the same with iPad but it can never replace iPad. Moreover Mac is costlier than iPad. If you do not have a computer or a personal system, both the devices are useful for you. You can use dropbox app in iPad if you want to save your records.

anilnc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If u want to make music with apple software then I prefer Mac for its multitrack DAW like logic and many others, not to mention its power also. For iPad version apple at present provide only Garage Band which can record maximum of 8 tracks. It actually has maximum 8 tracks available including midi instruments tracks. If that's enough for you the. You can go for ipad. Ipad mini has less CPU power compared to ipad full which limits the multitrack features and latency in other iOS DAWs.

Last edited:

Brontesmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
all the advices are good enough to go for except the price issue is the biggest cause for many .. so is there any second best solution rather than the brand Apple for a quality music offering ..

anilnc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All powerful pc are good enough for music production. The processor must be powerful good ram above 8gb ddr3, pci express video card. And a good hard disk minimum 7200rpm or preferred to go with solid state drives. Then finally the OS, where apple is Horse power, stability and speed for creativity flow, not to mention its memory management. Ofcourse you need a ASIO compatible sound card. Sound card vary according to each requirements and budgets.

Even though its spec might look higher and the price lower than the apple product, still apple OS can battle the field very well.

Don't think I'm apple user, no. I only use iPad Mini. I use my win 764bit for my production. But have experienced the differences on both systems. I can't afford apple (mac pro / imac) at the moment.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a mistake in my above comment but don't know how to edit or delete it. There are no options to do that in tapatalk app.

I was telling finally apple OS which makes most powerful and stable for a quality production.

Hi, anilnc, it's fairly easy in Tapatalk.

ezygyhuj.jpg

Just tap the arrow in the box up top.

ura9ynen.jpg

Which gives you the choice to open in Safari website mode. Tap on that.

je8enamu.jpg

And you will have the means of editing your post.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danclarete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
conferencecentral.net.au
iPad is the best for over Mac as it has so many additional features that a Mac doesn't have. Sure enough, if its for entertainment then iPad should be your number 1 option because Mac is like more of for your office thing and others. If I were you buy an iPad that has great gig so you can store so many things in there.

dauntingMuzik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is really nothing that can compare to making music/producing on a laptop/desktop/mac over an iDevice. I love the convenience of playing music on my iDevices, but I'm afraid there will never be a greater device than the desktop computer for recording. On the flip side, you can control your mac with an ipad in many different ways: V-Control, TouchOSC, SonicLogic, etc. Those are fun

Most reactions

Latest posts