What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is happening to my ipad cover?

Mr.Tibbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone so recently I bought an iPad two and then bought those covers that just cover the back and allows the smart cover front to fit on it. Then after a little while it started to have a purplish haze to it. I figured it was just a leaky pen or something but now, the purple continues to grow. What is happening? Does anyone else's cover start to do this?

The purple haze continues to get larger even though it has been sitting on my desk for the past week. Is it mold? Thats what I originally thought. But I have tried washing it with water and soap with goo gone and everything else you could think of. The washing has had absolutely no effect not even dimming it a little.

Pictures are below. If you want more pictures just ask. Any and all help is appreciated.

image-91975235.jpg

Attachments

• image-386328226.jpg
    image-386328226.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the markings on the inside or outside of the case? If they're on the outside, maybe the marks are coming from the finish on the desktop.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chemical reaction or chemical breakdown? Maybe off gassing? Plastics are made of chemicals, and maybe yours are made of a bad mix that's breaking down? What brand are they? Have you contacted the maker or seller?

Goo Gone is not meant to be used on some plastics, by the way.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is this nonofficial or official authorized ipad accesories made such as belkin or else because you can easily ask the customer service and maybe a chance to get a replacement :thumbs:

OP
Mr.Tibbs

Mr.Tibbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to answer the questions the markings seem to be in the middle of the plastic.... Well that what it looks like anyway to everyone I have showed it to.

maybe I will look more into this gassing possibility also no I have not contacted the seller yet I only contacted the store I bought it from Best Buy and they said could not do anything. Also I know some goo gone is not made for plastics but I made sure to get the kind that was.

yes this case is a Belkin case and I will try an contact them to see About a replacement.

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
is this nonofficial or official authorized ipad accesories made such as belkin or else because you can easily ask the customer service and maybe a chance to get a replacement :thumbs:

No need to be rude...

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No need to be rude...

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

I think this was a reasonable attempt to help, not be rude. With name brand accessories, the makers are often willing to stand behind their products, versus knockoff manufacturers, which often aren't. That's part of the incentive to buy name brands, but not everyone is willing to pay.

Personally, I'm cheap when it comes to cases and I buy generics. With cords, chargers and anything electrical, I go for name brands, because if an accessory fries my device or starts a fire that burns down my house, I want a big company to pursue, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts