What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What GB to get?

VR4154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going to get a IPAD 2 for work. I'm a Maintenance Tech and would like to load all the repair manuals from frig's, stoves, dishwashers, furnaces ect... from most manufactures. Was wondering which GB to get. Any info would be appreciated.

OP
V

VR4154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Good to know 64G will be enough to store all those manuals.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Good to know 64G will be enough to store all those manuals.

Well, there's no guarantee that 64 Gigabytes (actually about 58 Gigs of usable storage) will be sufficient. That will depend upon how much graphic content is included and how many technical manuals you're talking about. I suspect your safest route is to explore just how large the the PDF versions of the technical manuals you're considering are and estimate your storage requirements based on that information.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the exact gig of the 32 ?

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iLloyd said:
What is the exact gig of the 32 ?

I'm thinking you must have a 32gb iPad so go to settings - general - about - capacity.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
I'm thinking you must have a 32gb iPad so go to settings - general - about - capacity.

No I have a 16gb iPad 1. Was just curious as im undecided about 32 or 64 for my iPad 3 :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh okay well hopefully someone who has a 32 will chime in here and let you know. Out of interest what does the 16 gb show?

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Oh okay well hopefully someone who has a 32 will chime in here and let you know. Out of interest what does the 16 gb show?

13.8 GB :/

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can safely figure that your actual storage capacity is around 3.5-5.0 gigabytes less than the stated capacity. That's a bit less than the capacity shown simply because when a disc gets close to full the performance tends to degrade. As a rule of thumb, I've always figured that I get about 90% of the stated storage capacity to work with.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband's 32GB, wi-fi-only iPad 1 says it has 28.6GBs on iOS 5.0.1.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
My husband's 32GB, wi-fi-only iPad 1 says it has 28.6GBs on iOS 5.0.1.

Thanks for that! Good to know. Cheers.

Most reactions

Latest posts