What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What email programme???

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad2 and a WindowsXP PC where I have outlook express set up as my primary email account. I set this up on the ipad2 so I use the mail programme to access my mail from the ipad. however I am going to buy a laptop with Windows 7 operating system and it does not include Outlook Express. My query is do I buy Outlook Express or do I just use the windows live email included with Windows 7? I access all my mail on the ipad but I don't like that you cannot tidy up mail by putting it into folders so I have to keep logging in to the PC to tidy my mail from there. Am I just used to Outlook Express? Any advice would be helpful, just to be clear I want to access my mail from the ipad but I want to be able to create folders and move my mail to them.
Thank you in anticipation.

Dane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot buy Outlook Express. But Windows Live Mail works fine.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is possible to 'tidy up your mail' on the iPad if you (a) switch from the mail protocol POP to IMAP and (b) create the folders you want to see on the iPad Mail program using webmail and creating those folders first on your email server. With IMAP your iPad will display all the folders that are on the email server.

Tim

OP
Grinchy

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dane said:
You cannot buy Outlook Express. But Windows Live Mail works fine.

Hi
Thank you. Will Windows live mail let me create and manage folders and will I be able to access it from my ipad, if so, how?

Kind regards

OP
Grinchy

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
It is possible to 'tidy up your mail' on the iPad if you (a) switch from the mail protocol POP to IMAP and (b) create the folders you want to see on the iPad Mail program using webmail and creating those folders first on your email server. With IMAP your iPad will display all the folders that are on the email server.

Tim

Hi Tim

This sounds too technical for me!! Step by step would be helpful. I am not too bad with technology but email accounts have always lost me. I have to depend on my grandson for that!

Kind regards from a bleak Scottish town!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Isn't Windows Live Mail just the web access for Hotmail? I don't use the service, so I"m not 100% certain, but if it is you can set it up directly as an account on the iPad.

iOS 5 offeres an easy setup at Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; Add Account; Windows Live Hotmail. I think iOS 4 had this (or similar option ). I'm not sure if there is any difference, but when they updated the Yahoo account serup it came with more syncing options.

Or you can set your hotmail account up as an Exchange account:

How To Setup Hotmail Using Exchange ActiveSync On Your iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch For Push Email, Calendar & Contacts

Most reactions