What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think of Apple's decision to change the orientation lock switch?

What do you think of Apple's Decision to change the orientation lock switch?

• Total voters

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wanted to know what the majority thought about Apple's decision to swap the hardware orientation lock button for a software solution...

Just so everyone is clear, this is on 4.2.1, and the toggle switch is now assigned to mute on/off, just like the iPhone... Here's the sad part... The old method of muting still works at the same time... Hold down the lower volume button, and it will also mute the damn thing...

Redundant...? Yes... What do you think of the choice?

P.S. New to the forum by the way! :)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think people are making way too big of a deal over a very insignificant (to me anyway!) feature on the iPad.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think people are making way too big of a deal over a very insignificant (to me anyway!) feature on the iPad.

Yes, lol I think some people are just resistant to change. It is where it is now. Just get use to it.

Edit: Welcome to the Forum by the way. ;)

Last edited:
OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? Lol... For me the ability to rotate the thing in any way you'd like is awesomesauce... Plus, I use the iPad mostly in positions when I can't use my mac/pc... And that's when I just need a quick read, some entertainment, in bed, etc. And that involves a lot of moving around (twisting and turning not to mention)... Without being able to lock the orientation and unlock it for when I change sides (and lock it again... Sigh) is quite a pain...

I mean, it doesn't break the experience in any way... Its just an annoyance that could've been avoided completely... Why not just give me a choice in the setting's which lets me as a user decide what the toggle does...?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? Lol... For me the ability to rotate the thing in any way you'd like is awesomesauce... Plus, I use the iPad mostly in positions when I can't use my mac/pc... And that's when I just need a quick read, some entertainment, in bed, etc. And that involves a lot of moving around (twisting and turning not to mention)... Without being able to lock the orientation and unlock it for when I change sides (and lock it again... Sigh) is quite a pain...

I mean, it doesn't break the experience in any way... Its just an annoyance that could've been avoided completely... Why not just give me a choice in the setting's which lets me as a user decide what the toggle does...?

But you still have a toggle. It's just in a different area. You double click on the enter button and scroll all the way to your left. There amongst a few other things is your orientation lock. It's just in a different spot.

You know how when you buy a new car sometimes everything isn't exactly where it was with your old car. Same thing here.

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, the toggle is there, its just harder to get to, no?

Does it not bother you that the orientation lock on a device that's nigh perfect for in-bed reading/entertainment is now a 3 step process instead of a single step process?

I tend to have to shift my focus from what I'm reading to lock the orientation, instead of just being able to do it absentmindedly when it was a single step process...

Heh, actually, in retrospect, it does seem like this is being blow out of proportion... Perhaps its because the standards and expectations associated with the device are ridiculously high?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the iPad with the home button on right side 99% of the time so used the toggle very little. Was interested to hear that the mute button may just mute system noises which seems to make sense with other programs running when you are watching a movie.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's a perfectly normal response. I believe people, in general don't like changes to certain things and this was indeed a very different change. But come on. Push button twice, sweep to left, there's your switch.

On the other hand, I like having the mute switch handy right there. Usually if you want to mute something you want to get to it right away.

Another thing with me is I've only had my iPad for about a month so I'm not into the "habits" of finding things like a lot of people are. I have to think a second before I do it . And quite a few times I'd accidentally turn the orientation screen off. lol, before I knew that the switch on the side did this I had this happen and thought there was something wrong with my iPad.

Now for new owners who have the old documentation in their package and update to 4.2.1 who do read their instructions this probably will confuse some people. But that's why you get 45 free days of help (I think) from Apple to ask questions.

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm not entirely convinced, because Apple decided to leave the 'Hold vol.down button for mute' functionality in there too...

So now I have 2 hardware options for muting my device, and 0 for orientation lock...?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So now I have 2 hardware options for muting my device, and 0 for orientation lock...?
But there is a screen orientation lock. You get to it by double-tapping the Home button (which brings up the multi-tasking bar at the bottom of the screen) then sliding the multi-tasking bar to the right!

ipad63.jpg

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol... Yeah I know about the software solution... I was saying, there's no hardware solution for an orientation lock now, when there's 2 for muting...

I think some balls were fumbled...

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umm... I didn't see a poll on it, and I was curious about the general response from users (as you can see, it really isn't as bad as I've made it out to be...), apologies if the recurrence of such a topic bothers you...

Most reactions

Latest posts