What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys use to charge your ipad?

MJS395

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i have a first gen ipad and the charging cable with the brick is too short, is the apple 6ft charger cable my best bet? Or is there other options?
Thanks
Mitch

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
MJS395 said:
Hello, i have a first gen ipad and the charging cable with the brick is too short, is the apple 6ft charger cable my best bet? Or is there other options?
Thanks
Mitch

I use a load of usb 2 extension cables, i could if i wanted keep the ipad connected to the psu on the second floor whilst lounging in the garden and playing with the ipad lol

I bleed in 6 colours

OP
M

MJS395

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do the usb connectors decrese the power traveling through them or does the chrge time stay the same?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
MJS395 said:
Do the usb connectors decrese the power traveling through them or does the chrge time stay the same?

As far as i know, the current flowing through them should be the same

Don't have a multimeter to check though, although i'd guess it'll be the same as using mains extension cables

I bleed in 6 colours

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Any increase in cable length will increase the charging time, however, unless you have exceptioinaly poor quality extender cables, or extend it rediculously far, like to another room, I the difference should not be significant.

Unless you get into a chargin contest with a sib, of course. {sings} anything you can charge, I can charge faster

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a 6ft extension cord I found from dorm throw aways

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

From my experience, an extension will increase charge time. It probably depends on the length and quality of the extension. For instance, I have a Griffin PowerBlock charger that's been tested as the fastest iPad charger by Wired or some such magazine. I also verified the charge time against the OEM iPad charger. When I used an extension with the PowerBlock, it took significantly longer to charge my iPad. So I stopped using the extender. I didn't bother looking for another that might've performed better.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. They usually aren't as hi quality. As crappy as apple cords are they do the job.

Norriemca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the 10ft. Griffin cable from Mobilefun.co.uk.
It has the correct electric spec to charge the iPad2 and is long enough to allow use of the iPad while charging. Good quality if a bit expensive.

Padeasel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best extension is an Electrcal extension cord

From my experience, an extension will increase charge time. It probably depends on the length and quality of the extension. For instance, I have a Griffin PowerBlock charger that's been tested as the fastest iPad charger by Wired or some such magazine. I also verified the charge time against the OEM iPad charger. When I used an extension with the PowerBlock, it took significantly longer to charge my iPad. So I stopped using the extender. I didn't bother looking for another that might've performed better.

A commercially available 110 V. or 220 V. extension cord is the best extension one can use. Any power loss will be negligable, other portable devices can be pluged in it, it may be the least costly, and can serve other uses around the house if needed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A commercially available 110 V. or 220 V. extension cord is the best extension one can use. Any power loss will be negligable, other portable devices can be pluged in it, it may be the least costly, and can serve other uses around the house if needed.

And that is probably the best answer of the bunch.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. They usually aren't as hi quality. As crappy as apple cords are they do the job.

Boy, you sure got that right! Every single charging cable I've had for my iPhone, MacBook Pro and iPod Touch has failed. Though line resistance is an issue with longer cables I still like having one for convenience. Especially when I travel.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first iPhone charger split in half, it was the first time any phone charger did that. I only had it for a few months at that point. Apple was great, and replaced it for me on the spot.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kensington brand replacement AC adaptor for my netbook. The side of it has a USB port, which gives me better length than before.

I wouldn't mind a few more feet, but since it charges the same time I do (i.e., sleep,) it doesn't really matter :D.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I did that in my office, where I was able to hide the extension cord and the Apple charger under a bookcase, leaving only the iPad plug end exposed.

One thing I've done with all my iOS cables: I dripped a tiny bump of nail polish on the underside of the end that goes into the device. That way, I can just touch and immediately know which way to plug. Works great, especially in darker settings.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts