What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do these keys do?

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello again. I’m using a Bluetooth keyboard with my ipad and there are 2 keys I don’t understand

Alt/Option and Win

Ive tried playing with them but I cant make them do anything. Could anyone explain what they do?
I don’t know the make or model of this keyboard. Ive had it a while and lost any instructions that came with it.
Thanks, Ed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again. I’m using a Bluetooth keyboard with my ipad and there are 2 keys I don’t understand

Alt/Option and Win

Ive tried playing with them but I cant make them do anything. Could anyone explain what they do?
I don’t know the make or model of this keyboard. Ive had it a while and lost any instructions that came with it.
Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed - assume that you are using a Windows KB, but shown below are the 'equivalents' of Mac vs. Windows keys (check LINK for more discussion) - these are modifier keys (i.e. Command & Option) for a Mac KB and are used in combination with one or more other keys (e.g. CMD-C or -V for copy and paste) - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 3.41.09 PM.png

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, Girardman, for your help and the link. BTW, I'm not using a Windows KB, but a Bluetooth KB meant to use on an Apple device. Ed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you, Girardman, for your help and the link. BTW, I'm not using a Windows KB, but a Bluetooth KB meant to use on an Apple device. Ed

Hi again Ed - just that the use of those key labels would suggest a Windows and/or hybrid type KB since you stated that the maker/model of the device was unknown to you? But, let us know if the explanation worked for you - might help others w/ the same question(s). Thanks - Dave :)

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a fairly new Bluetooth keyboard which I’ve only started using in the last few days (don’t know the manufacturer), and I’m in the process of learning it. I notice there’s a “WIN” key present. I assume that means “Windows”, so it has no use on an iPad. Is that correct? Thank you. ED

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a fairly new Bluetooth keyboard which I’ve only started using in the last few days (don’t know the manufacturer), and I’m in the process of learning it. I notice there’s a “WIN” key present. I assume that means “Windows”, so it has no use on an iPad. Is that correct? Thank you. ED

Hi again Ed - you already asked that question in your thread HERE just a few days ago - should have continue the same issue and not start a new thread. Hopefully, a mod can come along and add your 'new' post to the other thread so the conversation there is not lost. Dave :)

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, my memory has been somewhat impaired due to a stroke. I’ll try to be more careful in the future. Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, my memory has been somewhat impaired due to a stroke. I’ll try to be more careful in the future. Thanks.

Sorry about your impairment, but glad that you understand - please review the previous linked thread to see if my comments were of any help - if not, then post there - Dave :)

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, both of you. I'm getting better and better using my iPad thanks to the assistance of the knowledgeable and kind folks on this forum. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts