What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do I do?

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help - I will soon (April) be celebrating 40 years with the company I work for. For this they will allow me to select a gift from about 40 items. One of these of course, is a 16GB WiFi +3G iPad. I currently own a 16GB WiFi iPad. I have about 7.5GB of unused space available on the one I have. I would LOVE, LOVE to have a 32GB WiFi +3G iPad or a 64GB WiFi +3G iPad. Am I being shellfish here or what? The +3G versus WiFi has not been too big of an issue, as I have WiFi at home, but I would love to be able to use the iPad from anywhere. Should I go ahead and select the 16GB WiFi +3G and try to sell it and use the money towards the 32GB or 64GB?? Be happy with the 16GB Wifi +3G? By the way, other gifts I could select are such things as a Pressure Washer, a Lenovo Desktop, a Dell laptop, a Bose radio, lots of jewelry, tool box, TVs - 37" & 42" and others. What would you do?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hdchiky said:
Help - I will soon (April) be celebrating 40 years with the company I work for. For this they will allow me to select a gift from about 40 items. One of these of course, is a 16GB WiFi +3G iPad. I currently own a 16GB WiFi iPad. I have about 7.5GB of unused space available on the one I have. I would LOVE, LOVE to have a 32GB WiFi +3G iPad or a 64GB WiFi +3G iPad. Am I being shellfish here or what? The +3G versus WiFi has not been too big of an issue, as I have WiFi at home, but I would love to be able to use the iPad from anywhere. Should I go ahead and select the 16GB WiFi +3G and try to sell it and use the money towards the 32GB or 64GB?? Be happy with the 16GB Wifi +3G? By the way, other gifts I could select are such things as a Pressure Washer, a Lenovo Desktop, a Dell laptop, a Bose radio, lots of jewelry, tool box, TVs - 37" & 42" and others. What would you do?

First of all CONGRATULATIONS on achieving such an amazing milestone! It is rare these days to be with one company for 5 years, let alone 40! You must work for a utility company. Anyway, I'd hate to advise you on something that represents 40 years of hard, loyal work. But I would tell you that having a 3G iPad has been a very good tool to have. I often travel the back ways of Northern Indiana, southern Michigan and North West Ohio looking for ruined or decrepit but picturesque farm buildings. Having a 3G iPad to help me figure out where I am has prevented me from being totally lost in a corn field. I have Motion GPS, UrbanSpoon (to find restaurants), Wikkihood app (to get local information), and Yellow Pages (to find room). Without this 3G iPad, I would probably sill be wandering around!

I would never leave home without this iPad!

OP
Hdchiky

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the gift is available now, I do not think so. They are asking me now to select the gift. The iPad2 sounds great, but I am very happy with the current. Maybe after it comes out I might change my mind - we will see. This happens to be a gimme 'now'.

OP
Hdchiky

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the Congrats! MattIM. I do not work for a utility company, but I do work for a MAJOR insurance company. Never thought I would be here 5 years, let alone 40!! I work in what use to be Data Processing but is now called Technical Services - so no insurance questions for me please!!!

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad holds it's value well and you can easily sell it used. It should even hold good value with the new iPad 2. The iPhone 3GS has held a good value still.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrats! Get the iPad and sell it and your current one for enough to get at least 32g

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going with BrennB on this one - pick the 16GB WiFi/3G iPad and then sell both of them. But, I think you'd get enough from selling both them to get the 64 GB WiFi/3G one. Just set the price(s) at what you need and hold firm. You won't lose money, 'cause half of it was free to you...

Oh, and congrats on making 40 years. Mighty impressive feat!

Marilyn

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Go for the newest iPad, it's amazing!
And compare the prices of those other items to a new iPad.
On the other hand, if you've been in the same job for 40 years, you probably
Have lots of money!!!::p

OP
Hdchiky

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, yes and no, I have decided to select the 16GB WiFi +3G iPad from the list of gifts, take it to a retailer (hopefully) and see if I can trade up to the 32GB WiFi +3G iPad. I have NOT pressed the button to tell them to send the gift yet though.

40 years with the same company does not make me rich by any means either!!! I am sure there are others here who can agree with this statement. :)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree about the rich part...i'm 26years in with mine and highest paid aside from the executive director (a position I've been offered several times) and still work for peanuts....it's the profession of choice, not the big bucks type of work... But hey I make enough to buy toys!

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
40 yrs in same co.

Well, yes and no, I have decided to select the 16GB WiFi +3G iPad from the list of gifts, take it to a retailer (hopefully) and see if I can trade up to the 32GB WiFi +3G iPad. I have NOT pressed the button to tell them to send the gift yet though.

40 years with the same company does not make me rich by any means either!!! I am sure there are others here who can agree with this statement. :)

What I was referring to is that anyone I know who worked 40 yrs. for the same company......having a steady income, could plan ahead. Those I know have their homes paid off, new vehicles paid for, a huge pension coming when they retire and financial security all that time. If both people are working, all the better.

My hubby put in 35 years with his union and then he got a letter that they had made a bad investment and everyone was wiped out, so he had to start at square one, after 10 more years paying in, when he retired he got $74.00 per mo. pension. It should have been $4,000.00 per.
So, that and our gov't. pensions are all we really can count on, however, he is still working for himself at age 74, just a few thousand a month to give us a little extra.
I should add that our home is paid for, and so are our vehicles, we only use cash to purchase toys and necessities. Lucky he was always hard working.
My friends who got 40 yrs. in have RRSPs up the yingyang and big pensions and extended benefits for life, thats the way it should be.
Marg

Most reactions

Latest posts