What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can i do with?

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now that's a winner!
Brings back memories of childhood.
It was the first thing I ever made

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To convert a web page to PDF in Safari you can use a 'bookmarklet' - a small piece of Javascript that will convert the web page to PDF.

Just create a blank bookmark and enter the text below - in its entirety - in the place where the URL normally goes.

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

(sometimes, when I paste this bookmarklet into iPad Forum a spurious space gets inserted in the 'http' part of the bookmarklet. It shouldn't be there so, if you see it, you'll have to edit it out.

Now, when you want to convert a webpage to PDF, simply surf to the page you want to convert and select the above bookmarklet. Safari will convert the page to PDF and you'll then be able to save it in iBooks or another compatible app.

Tim
Scotland.
Two mistakes in a row - it's not a good day

lukepast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that:) I've just added a bookmark on the bar called PDF me that works just great - I tested it with this thread

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim,
Did all that.
Now have the info java script etc in the book mark bar along with the lmp recipe?
When I go back into safari and hit the book mark bar it just with the javascript etc reloads the web page and doesn't appear to option a save or where to save?......?...
Sorry ,what am I doing wrong

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - the Javascript has converted the web page to PDF, so it's like having downloaded a PDF document from the web. If you briefly touch the resulting webpage/PDF you'll see a menu bar at the top briefly appear with the option to 'Open in' and then some options, depending on what you've got on your iPad - usually at least iBooks.

The Javascript works fine with these recipe pages - I've tried it - but it's not totally foolproof because it has to reload the page to do the conversion.

So, if it's a page into which you've entered some text in text boxes, that text might not appear in the PDF. Effectively, the PDF you get is what the webpage would look like if you refreshed the page.

So, to recap, you're not doing anything wrong. It looks as though the Javascript is working fine because it's converted the recipe to an identical looking PDF. So, just touch the page and see if you can spot the menu bar open up at the top of the page with those options.

If there's any remaining problem, just get back to me (I'm out for the next hour though)

Tim

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've really trying and cannot get
it to work.
The only options I can find on a drop down box are open or open in new page ,then it reloads the same page.
Have started from the beginning and still not sure if the JavaScript thing is in the right place
It has a folder at the front not an open book
Is this right
I'm tearing my hair out right now
Sorry I'm just not getting it
Perhaps a few more step by step for the stressed lady.
I really want to understand and do this.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I'm back now. Before we get into difficult stuff, just check that you've got Javascript turned on...

'Settings', 'Safari', 'Javascript'->'On'

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I copied it from safari and put it into Pages using their default recipe page setup. The photo, I saved to my photos and used it from there. I like to have uniformity rather than a whole folder of various sizes of recipes. Call me a control freak!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've really trying and cannot get
it to work.
The only options I can find on a drop down box are open or open in new page ,then it reloads the same page.
Have started from the beginning and still not sure if the JavaScript thing is in the right place
It has a folder at the front not an open book
Is this right
I'm tearing my hair out right now
Sorry I'm just not getting it
Perhaps a few more step by step for the stressed lady.
I really want to understand and do this.
Thanks for any help you can give.

OK - once you've checked if you've got Javascript on...

Copy the Javascript from post above.

Touch the Safari curly arrow menu item, touch 'Add Bookmark', Edit the title of the bookmark to something appropriate, say "PDF Save", then edit the URL of the bookmark by pasting the Javascript into it. Get rid of the extra space in the 'http' part of the bookmarklet. Hit 'Save' and you're done.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts