What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What basic apple computer would you buy?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been a pc owner and when it goes I would really like an apple computer but due to money constraints etc… what would you guys suggest and why?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd get a basic Mac Pro Quad Core... I'm also a PC user, but I've actually been considering buying a Mac Pro for the last few months.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
It all depends on what your using it for.

iMac's are great but if your tight on cash, for most people a Mac Mini is fine. They have in the last refresh made them better but the price has gone up to $699. I got mine 2 and a half years ago for around $500 and I'm still using it at my main PC.

With the Mac Mini its a decent computer in a tiny form factory. It works with all your current monitors,keyboards,mice that you used with your PC so there is no need to repurchase any of those.

I have my Mac Mini setup with two flat screen monitors and its great. It also runs super quiet compared to my Gaming PC that sounds like a jet engine.

If your a gamer I would not recommend the Mac Mini since I know gamers need super high specs for the best quality gaming visuals and speeds. Windows machines are probably best at the moment for gaming but Macs are really gaining ground in that area. If thats your case I would go for a more powerful Mac.

I currently have a $2500 Windows PC that I only use for gaming, everything else I do on my Mac Mini.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, I'm not big on gaming. It would be for my iTunes account, office docs for school etc... Ah, that's another question. Would I have to replace my windows office software. Would hate that to be replaced as my school only uses windows.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes you would have to get the mac version of MS office. I got a free copy from Microsoft and like it much better than the windows version.

However the documents are still office documents that can be used on either windows or mac.

You should go into the apple store and try out all the different computers they offer to see whats best for you. They have the Microsoft Office software for Mac already loaded onto their demo computers for you to give it a look.

Last edited:
OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gee, thanks, after buying a new mac and then having to buy mac version as well would have made it rather expensive. Thank you for that advice, will definitely look into that free version. Is that Open Office or Works Office.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get a Mac and run your Windows programs. The only caveat is that you have to install Windows on your Mac. Not a problem, and not hard to do, but if your school does not supply Windows OS for free, you would have to buy the student edition. That may cost you as much as Office in a few cases. However, you would still have a Mac for less than $1000.

The home and student edition of Office 2011 is as low as $100 without Outlook. You can buy the Windows 7 upgrade for $30, but you have to have at least Vista to install on the Mac first. Using Bootcamp, it cost nothing to have both Windows and OSX on your Mac. And it gives you a great set of options for the future. if you decide to buy the Apple versions of office in the future, you have that option.

Your purchase options are these for buying a Mac.
$700 Mac Mini, you provide the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Usually not a problem for most PC users.
$1000 MBA 11", MacBook.
$1200 MacBook Pro, iMac.
$2500 Mac Pro.

You save at lest $50 for student discount, but better prices can be had from the Apple Store refurbished units. Prices over $150 off new are common, and they have the same warranty. I usually buy refurbished with never a regret. You hav to wait sometimes for a particular model. Tonight, I saw a iMac 21" for $929.

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use my Imac for surfing the web and watching tv shows and movies and that why i went with a largest screen i could get for the basic fact i used to set in my studio and watch hulu for my tv shows that i miss dureing my work hours and was able to sit in the chair and use the remote for watching tv and dvd on the computer ..

Most reactions

Latest posts