What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some of the surprises your ipad has given you

kyomagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Topic says it all. What are some of the things you did not know the ipad could do when you bought it?

1.) The camera connection kit: I found i can use my 2 16gb sd cards to store video, books, music and apps on and transfer over when i need more space on my ipad (jailbroken using ifile)

2.) Air Video: This nifty little app takes ALL video formats and streams it to your ipad to watch. It also takes those video files and convert them to ipad format. This is huge for me too, im a big anime fan, and the majority of anime is in MKV format with softcoded subtitles. When you convert MKV to any other format, you lose the subs. Well with Air Video, it converts the file to a ipad format and KEEPS the subs. THIS IS HUGE for me since i often have people over and use it to watch anime on my big screen

3.) ComicZeal: Able to to read manga and comics - Epic win

I think there others but i cant remember now lol

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am surprised that after two weeks I have been unable to find one app that enables you to copy part of your screen and paste it somewhere (anywhere!) as a picture.

I haven't even been able to find an art/drawing app that can copy, say, a freehand squiggle (by dragging a box around it) and then allow you to paste that copy next to the original.

This (and more) can be done by MS Paint, the free program you get with Windows.

Not one app out of 600000000 in iTunes. Or am I wrong?

OP
K

kyomagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am surprised that after two weeks I have been unable to find one app that enables you to copy part of your screen and paste it somewhere (anywhere!) as a picture.

I haven't even been able to find an art/drawing app that can copy, say, a freehand squiggle (by dragging a box around it) and then allow you to paste that copy next to the original.

Sucks to be you.

This thread is meant to be positive.

ChrisB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sucks to be you.

Perhaps you should been more specific and stated you wanted things that "pleasantly surprised" about the iPad then, otherwise you shouldn't complain because you don't like what surprised somebody - it's the topic.

I was surprised by the versatility of the device and how useful it is proving to be. :)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chowdown, Sorry You Have Had Problems finding an app

Whenever I need to screen print what I see on my iPad, I hit the sleep button and the home button simultaneously. This will produce a camera shutter sound. You'll find the photo of your screen in the Photos app. If you want to then cut and past part of the picture to post elsewhere, you should get Photogene app--there are many photo editing apps available, I like this app because it is so easy to use. This app allows you to edit your photo.

No, there is no app that can do one thing in this two step process. Much like pressing the print screen button on your PC and then launching MS Paint to edit the screen print.

You might want to also get the Appshopper, this makes searching the Appstore so much easier.

To the OP, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread but I thought Chowdown needed to get some information.

snoApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pleasant Surprises

When I clicked on this thread, I fully expected to read about negative surprises.

My iPad is expected tomorrow (Thursday) so I hope I'll have lots of pleasant surprises.

I have already been pleasantly surprised at the wealth of information in this and other forums, and I too have found AppShopper very helpful. I now have over 100 apps in my WishList at the iTunes App Store ready to download. Most are free, with many duplicates that I will whittle down to favourites over time (have you checked how many "flashlight" apps there are?)

If someone posts a "negative" surprise in this thread, and someone else knows a solution, I think it is completely appropriate to share the solution here.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SnoApple,
That feeling you got when you received you first Palm OS device; it's coming back.
I haven't enjoyed a computer this much since I got my Palm Pilot Professional.

I'm surprised how much more I do with the iPad than I expected to... And how much more people are teaching it to do. I now have a "TiVo" for my radio stations.

OP
K

kyomagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sucks to be you.

Perhaps you should been more specific and stated you wanted things that "pleasantly surprised" about the iPad then, otherwise you shouldn't complain because you don't like what surprised somebody - it's the topic.

I was surprised by the versatility of the device and how useful it is proving to be. :)

Ya i should have been lol, no reason for me to over react like that.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Positive:

Battery life actually exceeded the manufacturer's claims. This rarely (if ever) happens in the world of portable devices.

Apps like AirVideo and ZumoCast for streaming almost every video format out there on the fly.

I'm not a big gamer, but the iPad has got me playing a few games here and there.

Negatives:

Closed file system. I wasn't surprised about the file system, but I was surprised about the severity of the lockdown. Can't do simple things like attach a file to an e-mail, download a simple file for later use, etc, etc. I could go on for days about this.

The rest of the features (both bad and good) I was fully expecting when I bought it.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been surprised that Steve Jobs' hype when he introduced the iPad probably understates how "magical" the device really is. It really is game changing and the best gadget of the first decade of the 21st C!

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was surprised at how much I use it for, calendar, store lists, notes at meetings, entertaining grandchildren, photos, Reading,etc.,etc. And it fits in my pocketbook and is big enough to see and easy to type on. Some problems but on the whole a joyful experience.

ShelbyWright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with bennettb, except drop the "grand" from grandchildren haha. I've found some really fun apps & interactive books for my girls (8 & 4) plus some really cool anatomy and physiology apps for my classroom (I teach nursing). When I bought it, I had no idea I could integrate it in my classroom! If it wasn't for the printing issue, I don't think I would have any reason to keep my laptop. And I have a really awesome case with a built in wireless keyboard and stand that I absolutely love. A little pricey but worth the investment, especially if you are not that efficient with the onscreen keyboard.

As with any device, there are a few minor things that bug me about the iPad but that could totally just be me not knowing anything different.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SnoApple,
That feeling you got when you received you first Palm OS device; it's coming back.
I haven't enjoyed a computer this much since I got my Palm Pilot Professional.

I'm surprised how much more I do with the iPad than I expected to... And how much more people are teaching it to do. I now have a "TiVo" for my radio stations.

I will piggyback that the iPad is the exciting enjoyment when you first got Palm PDAs, and later along, the Iphone, and when the iPhone added the APP store a year later and the cool, look at all the apps I have just like I did with my Palms. I had an original Palm, and a whole lineage of the Palm III, IIIC, 505, V, Treo 600, 650, 680, and Sony Clies. (I'm sure I missed a few too) And of course the whole batch of iPhones. I do use my iPhone everyday as well as my desktop, but the iPad is just so enamoring a device! I knew I would like it, but it surprises me I would be as enamored as I am, even already having the iPhone.

Most reactions

Latest posts