What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Apps Can I Remove?

jernatety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Specs:
iPad Pro 9.7 32GB

I am new to Apple products and I have no idea what I need or don't need in order for the iPad to work properly. Basically I'm asking for advice so I don't break anything.

I bought the iPad for one use exclusively, to record my boys hockey games and post them on youtube. I installed the app FilMIC for recording. So I know I need that , the camera and web browser.

With that being said, when I hook the iPad up to my laptop I see it says I have 19.3GB of 29GB available. My question is What default apps would be chewing up almost 10GB of my storage space? I'd like to get back as much storage as possible.

Any instruction/help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The default apps that come with the iPad do not use the available storage but are a part of iOS and occupy the part of the total storage capacity that is not available for use by the user. If you go to Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Manage Storage, you'll be able to scroll down the list of installed apps and see just how much of the available storage each app is using.

OP
J

jernatety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello @scifan57 thank you for responding.

I will do this tonight. We just bought the ipad over the weekend and did some tests recording their hockey practice with the FilMIC app but deleted the two vids immediately afterward. They were only 300MB and that's why I was kind of caught off guard at how much storage space is being used by the tablet.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I will do this tonight. We just bought the ipad over the weekend and did some tests recording their hockey practice with the FilMIC app but deleted the two vids immediately afterward. They were only 300MB and that's why I was kind of caught off guard at how much storage space is being used by the tablet.
You're welcome. I hope you discover what's using those 10GB of storage space.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Just to add to Scifan..'s comments, if you go to 'Manage Storage' as suggested, you will first be presented w/ the first screen below, which lists the top apps using the most storage - note that the number given is a combination of the app size + its 'Documents & Data', as shown in the second image in which I've opened my Zinio app (have a LOT of mags there). Note that the latter is taking up the vast majority of the storage.

Another consideration is to 'off load' your videos to a wireless device w/ its own storage cards, such as a high capacity SD card - take a look at post #6 in THIS THREAD from last year - I discuss and show two Wi-Fi storage devices that I own, but others are available.

Finally, let us know how the FilMIC app is working for you since part of the discussion in your other thread. Dave :)
IMG_7125.PNG
IMG_7126.PNG

OP
J

jernatety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that's some great detail there. All I need from that list is the camera space. The videos I shoot are offloaded to my laptop to upload to youtube. Once offloaded they're deleted from the iPad and the iPad is returned to the power block to re-charge before the next game. Then wash, rinse and repeat with the offloading and uploading process. The process is all based on what I was doing with the Galaxy Note 10.1 for the past two seasons. The hope is that the quality of the video is better with the iPad. I don't edit the games at all. Maybe if they make the post season playoffs and championship I'll do some editing but for the regular season there's no need for any of that.

I am planning on shooting their practice tonight for a full hour to check consistency and how much space the video will take up. Will report back how things go.

Thanks for everybody's help!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'll find that a one hour video shot at 1080p will likely take up About 5 or 6GB. Offloading the videos to your computer is certainly a good idea as it wouldn't take long at all to completely fill the storage capacity of the iPad.

OP
J

jernatety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying various resolutions. With the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 the default highest resolution is 720p. The quality of the video is very good at close range, to good at longer distance, but only about 100 ft. If the video is watched at YT's default 340x480 size it looks real good. Once the video is blown up to full screen on youtube the players in the distance become slightly grainy. The default file type is .mp4, (not sure what the compression is) and the overall file size for approx 55 mins is normally around 4GB.

With FilMIC you can change the resoultion settings up to 4K as well as the frame rate and bit rate but I don't have enough space on the tablet for anything above 1080 30 fps. I imagine the overall video file size is going to wind up somewhere in the vicinity of about 10-15GB for a 55 min hockey game. Since I'm new to this tablet it's probably going to take a few of their practices to perfect the settings before I use it for their games.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm trying various resolutions. With the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 the default highest resolution is 720p. The quality of the video is very good at close range, to good at longer distance, but only about 100 ft. If the video is watched at YT's default 340x480 size it looks real good. Once the video is blown up to full screen on youtube the players in the distance become slightly grainy. The default file type is .mp4, (not sure what the compression is) and the overall file size for approx 55 mins is normally around 4GB.

With FilMIC you can change the resoultion settings up to 4K as well as the frame rate and bit rate but I don't have enough space on the tablet for anything above 1080 30 fps. I imagine the overall video file size is going to wind up somewhere in the vicinity of about 10-15GB for a 55 min hockey game. Since I'm new to this tablet it's probably going to take a few of their practices to perfect the settings before I use it for their games.

High resolution video certainly eats up the GIGs! For those purchasing a new iPad for similar purposes, keep in mind the current storage capacities being offered by Apple - my 2 y/o iPad Air 2 has 64 GB, which would have helped in this situation; but Apple is now offering the smaller 32 GB devices, then jump to the 128 GB capacity, which may seen like a LOT but these days, likely best to buy as much storage as fits your budget.

Also, Apple has somewhat lessened the pain of obtaining more storage by making that rather large jump from 32 to 128 just a $100 addition (see below), which use to apply to the smaller jumps, as I recall. At the moment, I'm considering obtaining an iPhone 7 and 32 GB would just not be enough for me, so would have to purchase the 128 version - not too long ago, many of us here were telling potential iDevice purchasers not to buy a 16 GB iPad/iPhone; believe I'm going to raise my non-buy recommendation to 32 GB, just saying. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 3.02.21 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently the largest storage option for the iPad is 256GB for both sizes of the iPad Pro and I wouldn't be surprised if that was increased again in the near future.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Currently the largest storage option for the iPad is 256GB for both sizes of the iPad Pro and I wouldn't be surprised if that was increased again in the near future.

Agree! I could foresee that 32 GB 'lower limit' being upped to 64 GB, and of course the 'upper limits' increased - if I do buy an iPhone 7, I would transfer all of my iPod Touch (an old 2G) music (20+ GBs) which is my audio entertainment while traveling, so along w/ the iOS/apps/mags/books, I've already blown a 32 GB capacity - NOT like the ole days - ;) Dave

OP
J

jernatety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the 64 would have been ideal so I didn't have to get the first game off before recording the next. If I were to go to 128 I would've been paying over $1k to Best Buy with the warranty.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think the 64 would have been ideal so I didn't have to get the first game off before recording the next. If I were to go to 128 I would've been paying over $1k to Best Buy with the warranty.

Yes, I hear you - hard choices w/ the premium prices charged by Apple. When we upgraded my wife's phone last year or maybe a little longer ago to an iPhone 6, our storage options were 16, 64, & 128 - really little choice except to go w/ at least 64 GB (a 16 GB device was an obsolete option in my mind) - she did not want much music (although I added about 15 GB to use the BT function w/ our car stereo while 'on the road') - if she desired a LOT of music plus wanted to do many photos, then probably would have maxed out the capacity. Dave :)

OP
J

jernatety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, been busy with a phone system upgrade at work. Finally found time to check the storage space. I deleted a few apps and now down to default stuff that's taking up almost next to nothing space-wise. The Settings>General>Storage and iCloudUsage is now = Used-2.33GB and Available 25.45GB. Any idea where the other 6.5GB might be allocated? Is that all iPad Pro space system space that can't be used?

Thanks everybody for your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts