What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What am I doing wrong ?

Mr.Wolfskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, first off, I bought a I-Pad II with last years taxes, got a 16 gig wifi unit and for the most part I love it, but. . . It is frustrating me at times.

Now for the what's up. I will be logged into a site ( usually vannin.com ) and trying to post a reply to a question that requires a link or two to answer, so I open a second tab and open the page I need to link there. Copy the address and go back to my reply on vannin.com, only to find that everything I had posted is gone, or even more often, that I am now back at the homepage, not the thread I was working on. . . . . Grrrrr!

So, as asked in the title, what am I doing wrong? Why can I not swap from tab to tab with out loosing the work I was doing there ?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have noticed this behavior too. I usually save my post, get my link, return to the post, and then edit it to paste in the link. Don't know if that works in every forum, but it seems to work for the forums infrequent.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I, too, have noticed this. It is like there is not enough space in the cache memory so the data needs to be reloaded.
When I am working on getting the wording just right or have to go to another area to copy and paste something I now expect the text to disappear. I copy the text I am working on and paste it into a note in the Notes app. Then I can add to it after going to get some more text or a URL. When I am ready to post the message I copy it from the Notes app page and paste it into the web form. It works for me since I was getting so tired of having to retype what I was wanting to say.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe this is a limitation of Safari--try using a different browser. In Mercury, I can start a post, open a new tab, copy stuff, and return to the first tab where my partially-typed post is still intact. I also like how Mercury lets me change the default font size, view sites full screen, and use gestures to navigate.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is difficult on an iPad 2 due to memory restrictions however iPad 3 and the new 4 generation works fine
Even then with long posts here I actually use notability app as a centre point before I post.. If you have the same information to post like some of our mods do in the welcome section, you can use the auto abbreviation feature in iOS by creating your own personal list then just use a couple of letters to post it...

Hope that helps

Col.bris. administrator

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is difficult on an iPad 2 due to memory restrictions however iPad 3 and the new 4 generation works fine
Even then with long posts here I actually use notability app as a centre point before I post.. If you have the same information to post like some of our mods do in the welcome section, you can use the auto abbreviation feature in iOS by creating your own personal list then just use a couple of letters to post it...

Hope that helps

Col.bris. administrator

That's been my experience, too. My iPad 1 usually fails to save my forum response after I've opened another tab to grab a link. My iPad 2 has the same prob, but fails much less frequently. My iPad 4 doesn't seem to have this prob, at least not yet. I figure the older the iPad, the more likely its age (and hardware limitations) show.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's been my experience, too. My iPad 1 usually fails to save my forum response after I've opened another tab to grab a link. My iPad 2 has the same prob, but fails much less frequently. My iPad 4 doesn't seem to have this prob, at least not yet. I figure the older the iPad, the more likely its age (and hardware limitations) show.

Is this dependent on how many tabs are open on your ipad2, Kaykaykay? I have had to limit my tabs to maybe 3-4, anything more at times seems to get a little hay wire. I also find too, that its based on how many apps are open also. So closing the apps seems to help.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this dependent on how many tabs are open on your ipad2, Kaykaykay? I have had to limit my tabs to maybe 3-4, anything more at times seems to get a little hay wire. I also find too, that its based on how many apps are open also. So closing the apps seems to help.

I'm anal about closing apps, so that's not a likely contender in my use. I do like to have many browser tabs open, though. Thing is, that wasn't a prob when each iPad was new. As firmware upgrades, I figure it's a case of limited resources (iPad hardware) being increasingly taxed, and it just takes less and less from other demands (like having multiple tabs or apps open) to bring things crashing down.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm anal about closing apps, so that's not a likely contender in my use. I do like to have many browser tabs open, though. Thing is, that wasn't a prob when each iPad was new. As firmware upgrades, I figure it's a case of limited resources (iPad hardware) being increasingly taxed, and it just takes less and less from other demands (like having multiple tabs or apps open) to bring things crashing down.

I agree with you, because I have noticed that with the update to 6.0, crashes, while infrequent did occur after that. Now, I just make it a habit to close things out and do the regular maintenance to my iPad. So far so good!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you, because I have noticed that with the update to 6.0, crashes, while infrequent did occur after that. Now, I just make it a habit to close things out and do the regular maintenance to my iPad. So far so good!

Yes, depending on how each owner uses an iPad, maintenance can help us squeeze out more time before having to upgrade hardware.

I started telling myself that my iPad 1 was becoming my Zen iPad -- I have to be in the moment and be very aware, and have patience, while using it, lol. Of course, I'm usually not feeling Zen and just want things to work RIGHT NOW, lol.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, depending on how each owner uses an iPad, maintenance can help us squeeze out more time before having to upgrade hardware.

I started telling myself that my iPad 1 was becoming my Zen iPad -- I have to be in the moment and be very aware, and have patience, while using it, lol. Of course, I'm usually not feeling Zen and just want things to work RIGHT NOW, lol.

Haha...your zen iPad! I do like that and hope that I, too will achieve zen when the time comes for me! :)

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its happen because I pad II have low cash memory. And if I guess correct I think you are using safari browser. Try to use different browser. Where you can change the amount of cash memory. I have the same problem. I just change my browser. And problem solve. Right now I am using Opera MINI. This browser is incredible. You can give it a try. Hope this help you :D.

melinda48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never heard of Mercury. I have safari and Chrome. What features does Mercury have that makes it as good as or better?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its happen because I pad II have low cash memory. And if I guess correct I think you are using safari browser. Try to use different browser. Where you can change the amount of cash memory. I have the same problem. I just change my browser. And problem solve. Right now I am using Opera MINI. This browser is incredible. You can give it a try. Hope this help you :D.

Thanks, Dreamerdonkey...so far the Safari browser along with the regular maintenance things help, but will certainly keep your tip in mind. :)

OP
Mr.Wolfskill

Mr.Wolfskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you one and all, some GREAT info here, I am glad I found this site ! I think I will really like it here. . . . .:D

Most reactions

Latest posts