What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weather data and units in Notification Centre

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A minor irritation in the great scheme of things, I know, but nevertheless it bugs me just a little:

I get a text Weather Forecast in my iOS7 Notification Centre.

All my various weather apps are set to Fahrenheit yet the Notification Centre reports in Celsius. I doubt that this is the default iOS7 format for two reasons:

1) The USA still use Fahrenheit; and

2) Various video clips/pictures of the new iOS7 Notification Centre on-line show the temperatures in Fahrenheit not Celsius.

From where is it picking up the weather data - I currently have no weather app enabled in my Notification Centre Control Panel - and how can I get it to report in Fahrenheit?

Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, all I can think of at the moment is to check your region settings, just in case they got changed.

Go to Settings > General > International and make sure your Region Format is set to United States.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, that's it - International Settings. Many thnaks.

If I change from UK to USA the temperature appears in Fahrenheit - but then other US things, such as their odd date format of mmm d, yyyy instead of the UK format of dd mmm yyyy are displayed.

It's a shame that Jony Ive, being British, doesn't appreciate that we use both Celsius (the younger generation) and Fahrenheit (old fogeys like me who do not understand Celsius) in the UK and that a C/F option switch would be of considerable use.

From where does the Notification Centre get it's weather? Can one change the source to Fahrenheit or does notification centre convert it automatically?

Could I disable the "built in "weather and pick it up from one of my several weather apps?

Or is there a country which uses the same date, temperature and other defaults that the UK does so that I can pretend to be there rather than in theuS?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The weather information comes from Yahoo. There is no setting that I know of that will change the source or format (other than the region settings we just talked about). If you turn off Location services for Weather in the Privacy settings it will go away (eventually), so I've heard.

There are a great many weather apps and most of them will post to the notification center. However (that word again) the only notifications I've ever seen were for weather other related alerts. The daily weather itself is not posted. And since they post just like a regular notification from other apps it wouldn't be in the same place all the time I'm not sure it would be worth it if they did.

As for the countries, I don't know. Pretty much everyone but the U.S. has gone full metric.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again.

Turning off Today Summary in Settings > Notification Centre > Today View gets rid of the weather, but it also gets rid of other things too!

I can live without Celsius weather but what other things I might miss if I do turn that off remains to be seen!

On the one hand I have lived perfectly happily without ever using Notification Centre in iOS6 so I may well be able to live without it in iOS7 - it doesn't [yet] seem to be very useful - but on the other it does seem that others find it useful.

Jetair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution is easy

Go to weather app
Scroll to bottom
Change the temp unit

Regards to all

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to weather app Scroll to bottom Change the temp unit Regards to all
Hi, welcome to iPF!
Your solution doesn't work for notification centre:
image-2790488212.jpg
The units there depend on your location, which has to be enabled in Settings - Privacy - Location Services.

Most reactions

Latest posts