What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weak wireless on ipad 2

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the iPad is not picking up wireless signal very well. I can have my iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPad with me, and my iPad is the only one that can not find a connection in the area. I am new to iPads so this may be normal. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been satisfied for the most part with it. Much better than my iPod touch. It never holds a signal anywhere for long. Ipad2 has been better than I expected.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've no issues at home or hotspots, or places where friends have wireless. However, my office doesn't have wireless (I plan to fix that soon). I brought my netbook in one day and it picked up at least five or six networks in the area (a couple unsecured). My iPad 2 finds nothing.

OP
D Roc

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I should do e update. I never liked doing updates on my iPhones, because something all ways seems to go wrong. Maybe that will help.

Viper272

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weak wifi signal compared to ipad1

This was the first thing I noticed after turning on my ipad2 for the first time. It shows one bar less than my ipad1 everywhere in the house.

Both running iOS 4.3.1... So I guess they put in another wifi receiver than ipad1 has...

Right where I am now it only shows 1 bar, and here my ipad1 used to show 2 bars..

Knut

Has anyone else noticed that the iPad is not picking up wireless signal very well. I can have my iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPad with me, and my iPad is the only one that can not find a connection in the area. I am new to iPads so this may be normal. What are your thoughts?

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As we found out from Apple during the iPhone4 "antenna-gate" episode, the bars are just graphics and can be set to anything the manufacturer wants. It really has little to do with actual reception.

It's kind of like having a guitar amp that's louder because the volume knob goes to 11. :)

This was the first thing I noticed after turning on my ipad2 for the first time. It shows one bar less than my ipad1 everywhere in the house.

Both running iOS 4.3.1... So I guess they put in another wifi receiver than ipad1 has...

Right where I am now it only shows 1 bar, and here my ipad1 used to show 2 bars..

Knut

OP
D Roc

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
As we found out from Apple during the iPhone4 "antenna-gate" episode, the bars are just graphics and can be set to anything the manufacturer wants. It really has little to do with actual reception.

It's kind of like having a guitar amp that's louder because the volume knob goes to 11. :)

Mine is just not finding the connections in the area. I was in the drive through of taco stand and was trying to pull up the menu and place my order while waiting. The place offered free wifi but my iPad didn't show it. I pulled out my iPhone and was prompted with the join wireless network.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like a specific defect on the device, then - might be worth a service call to Apple to get it sorted.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I should do e update. I never liked doing updates on my iPhones, because something all ways seems to go wrong. Maybe that will help.

Just a random thought - but I've come across it before...

Are you certain that the lower signal you see on your iPad is actually from the same WiFi network that your other devices are locked on to?

I've come across a case where a member had an iPhone4 and an iPad and was complaining about exactly the same thing. Because the status bar on the iPad doesn't tell you the name of the network that it's locked on to, he didn't notice that the iPhone was locked onto his network while the iPad had locked on to his neighbour's network! So it might be worth a quick check in the 'Settings' app to be certain it is the right network the iPad is locked on to...

OK - as I said - just a random thought.....

Tim
Scotland

OP
D Roc

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Just a random thought - but I've come across it before...

Are you certain that the lower signal you see on your iPad is actually from the same WiFi network that your other devices are locked on to?

I've come across a case where a member had an iPhone4 and an iPad and was complaining about exactly the same thing. Because the status bar on the iPad doesn't tell you the name of the network that it's locked on to, he didn't notice that the iPhone was locked onto his network while the iPad had locked on to his neighbour's network! So it might be worth a quick check in the 'Settings' app to be certain it is the right network the iPad is locked on to...

OK - as I said - just a random thought.....

Tim
Scotland

The iPad showed no network for me to access while the iPhone picked up at least 2. Not really all that big of a deal....that's why I bought the 3G model. It just seemed odd and was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
D Roc said:
The iPad showed no network for me to access while the iPhone picked up at least 2. Not really all that big of a deal....that's why I bought the 3G model. It just seemed odd and was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

Even if u have 3G, u still want the wifi to work perfectly. No reason iPad2 shouldn't be picking up signals. Reading a lot of people noticing ipad2 has weaker wifi, it seems, thn ipad1. More reason for me to hold out on ipad2. From backlight bleeding to glue holding screens, to facetime messing up to now wifi issues whether connecting, picking up signals or weaker reception, dang...lol. 1st wave of new electronics almost always has the bugs in them. I'm sure all these issues will be fixed on later produced devices.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is common. It has been mentioned in reviews and I have observed the same with mine. iPad 1 shows full strength on my home network but the iPad 2 shows 1 bar less. They use the same Wifi card inside so it is thought it is the antenna arrangement in the iPad 2 that is causing this.

OP
D Roc

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have not updated the os yet. Not sure if an update would change the wifi issue.

@Tim : off subject, but do you leave your cellular data turned on all the time or do u just turn it on when you do not have wifi around. I have been wondering how much usage I will get with network data on and receiving push messages at night and through out the day if i wasn't around wifi.

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Happened to me yesterday too, I stopped near by Starbucks on parking lot. Tried my iPhone 4 and it connects to wifi fine using Starbucks. Same time I tried my ipad2 and it can't connect, I went inside and I got signal. Looks like ipad2 having worse wifi antena or something than iPhone4 and need strong signal. That is disappointing.

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can be sitting in the same location in my home one day and never drop a signal, the next day might be just the opposite, and I've found this to be the case with just about everything. It happens with my Sony laptop as well as a Dell laptop I have. The only device I have ever owned that rarely drops a connection is my Kindle.

Most reactions