What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need more post ranks

joejoejoemoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see people with iPad master next to their name at 4000+ posts and some guy with 350 is a master also?! Where's the justice?! Also, I kinda like being an iPad noob... :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been discussed in the past and there were some suggestions as to what the new rankings might be. I'm not sure how easy it is to change the ranking system in the Forum software, though.

Tim

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious, have the ranks been changed? (doesn't seem like it^)
is it still a possibility? It seems like all you need to do is go into the program and change some number values or add new ones

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ranks have not been changed that I know of.
And I hope it is still a possibility.

As you can see, I have been the same rank for 9 months. :D

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
TBH I would get rid of the ranks altogethor and just use member.

Giving someone the title of ipad master, is misleading, count post is no indication at all of experience with the ipad. Unfortunately new members can sometimes put to much weight into the titles and follow bad advice from a 'senior' member rather than good advice from a 'junior' member just because of a title bestowed upon them by post count.

This isn't a specific criticism of this forum, it happens on nearly every forum I use. If you do insist on ranks, then at least make the titles something that does not seem to indicate their experience with the ipad.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fail to see what it matters one iota. It is really that important to you about post count and what title you have earned?

When I first joined here ~ then later on ~ folks would say, "OMG, Marie, you have 1K posts, or you are close to this many!" I never really noticed until someone noticed for me. :eek:

Just enjoy IPF and don't trip about it so much!

Just sayin'....:)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it is misleading, I think it's good in identifying noobs but that's about it. And some of them know a lot more than me and I'm a Master. Nice title and all, but I'm no Master.

Reaction score
TBH I would get rid of the ranks altogethor and just use member.

Giving someone the title of ipad master, is misleading, count post is no indication at all of experience with the ipad. Unfortunately new members can sometimes put to much weight into the titles and follow bad advice from a 'senior' member rather than good advice from a 'junior' member just because of a title bestowed upon them by post count.

This isn't a specific criticism of this forum, it happens on nearly every forum I use. If you do insist on ranks, then at least make the titles something that does not seem to indicate their experience with the ipad.

Unfortunately this is true of too many forums. You can't blame the forum designers. It's the "headline only readers" mentality of too many forum surfers.
On another forum I surf I am the #8 top poster of over a million members but only because I've been surfing there for almost a decade, it doesn't mean I'm the go to guy at all for the cellphone gospel. Since I use mostly apps and wap sites I don't know what my post count, member standing, etc on any of them, just know about the other because someone congratulated me for reaching that pinnacle.
Just do like Tim, Sweet Poison, etc and make the posts worthy of posting and forget about rankings. Newbs will always be newbs, no matter what a forum does.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there should be groups. like 3 or so.
and you have to be appointed to that group by an admin or super mod and it gives you the title of "iPad master" or whatever. So, ranks would be based on knowledge instead of post count.

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
I think there should be groups. like 3 or so.
and you have to be appointed to that group by an admin or super mod and it gives you the title of "iPad master" or whatever. So, ranks would be based on knowledge instead of post count.

I agree. Anyone can get 500 posts over time.

Most reactions