What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch Out for New iCloud, MobileMe Phishing Scam

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iCloud_scam.JPG

MacRumors has a useful heads up today regarding a new phishing scam that is currently doing the rounds and might be on its way to an email inbox near you! The scam was picked up by some MacRumors readers, who received an email (pictured above) that has been made to look like it comes from Apple. The email takes advantage of the forthcoming transition from MobileMe to iCloud, by asking members to “update†their MobileMe subscription to iCloud by clicking on the link provided. Should you click on the link you will be prompted to enter various personal details, including credit card details, Apple Store account details, and your address. As ever, I’m sure most of you wouldn’t be fooled by this for a minute, but it might be worth warning any of your less-savvy friends and relatives out there who might not realise that it’s a scam.

Source: New Phishing Email Targets MobileMe-iCloud Transition - MacRumors.com

Thanks to iCrank for the heads up.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe people even fall for this stuff. Anyone can send an email from anyone.

64GB 3G White iPad

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same way people still fall for a money account in a bank in Nigeria..!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Destroyer said:
The same way people still fall for a money account in a bank in Nigeria..!!

Scam? You mean that guy won't be depositing $10,000,000 into my bank account from the diamond mines in Nigeria? And he told me he was the son of the deposed Sheik of Niger, the King of all East Africa! Why I sent him a money order for $5000US because he needed to get to Namibia in order to complete our transaction at the First Bank of England in person! He told me he would be coming to America to see me in person and I could pay him the 10% balance from the $10M then. He trusted me, so obviously I could trust him...

...and I have a friend who actually fell for a similar scam and lost $1k just like this...

Not stupid, just very trusting and gullible.

People we know will fall for this Mobile Me and iCloud scam just like they fall for the PayPal phishing scams every day. It's sad...

-t

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The life is a process of learning how to distinguish which is the truth,the fake.the kind-heart,the envy,the beauty and the eyesore...

jrcrewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What amazes me is how easy it is to phish and difficult it appears to be for
legal authorities to 'sting' the phishermen.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What amazes me is how easy it is to phish and difficult it appears to be for
legal authorities to 'sting' the phishermen.

So true. But the biggest problem is that a lot of these guys are in third world countries. :mad:

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Always check the email address it comes from, they get very clever, then again, any emails asking for money I just delete

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

jrcrewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What amazes me is how easy it is to phish and how difficult it appears to be for legal authorities to 'sting' the phishermen.

So true. But the biggest problem is that a lot of these guys are in third world countries. :mad:

Members of my family have been effectively phished twice by persons in North America using phished credit card info to receive their purchases at North American addresses.

In both cases a sting operation would have at the very least caught someone receiving those illegal purchases.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wytey said:
Always check the email address it comes from, they get very clever, then again, any emails asking for money I just delete

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

Email doesn't mean anything. Like I said, I can send you an email from [email protected] an you would never know it came from me.
They fake the email then suck you in by telling you to open a web page and entering your info. Which is used to gain access to what ever site or bank the info is for.

64GB 3G White iPad

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Ncaissie said:
Email doesn't mean anything. Like I said, I can send you an email from [email protected] an you would never know it came from me.
They fake the email then suck you in by telling you to open a web page and entering your info. Which is used to gain access to what ever site or bank the info is for.

64GB 3G White iPad

K, forgot to say also check the actual link address, they can fake what is displayed for the email and website address, but not the actual address that is opened.

I.e. A recent blizzard world of Warcraft phishing email with the following link

http://us.battle.net-birraard.battl....net/account/management/index.xml&app=bam&t=1

In this case you can clearly see it is wrong, but as long as you check the links carefully you will be fine

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Bah, can't edit post...

Also forgot to say not strictly true, yes, the email displayed maybe correct, but the reply address will be wrong.

Let's say Steve Job's email was [email protected] and you sent me a phishing email displaying that, upon hitting reply, it will use your email address and not [email protected], after all, if the reply address used was [email protected], you wouldn't receive said reply

Most reactions