What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WARNING - iOS 6.1.3 patches Evasi0n Jailbreak

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
20th March 2013 - iOS 6.1.3 has been publicly released and cannot be jailbroken at this time!

When iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 was released to developers the sad, although expected, news was that the Evasi0n Jailbreak time zone exploit was patched. With the public release, Apple has taken the opportunity to patch 4 of the 6 exploits which evasi0n used :)

If you have not already taken the steps necessary to update to 6.1.2 (or any previous version of 6.x) on your iPad it is now too late, regardless of whether you have saved SHSH Blobs or not.

Last edited:

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 6.1.3 is currently in BETA with developers, and the sad although expected news, is that it patches the Evasi0n Jailbreak time zone exploit as of beta 2.

Anyone who has not yet jumped up to 6.1.2 should probably consider it now IMHO!

We don't have an ETA for release, but the signing window has been closed almost immediately for the last 3 point releases, so don't expect any warning / grace period ;)

It's about damn time they patched it ;-) So far it doesn't look like any major change for .3 that I can see. Hopefully we won't have to wait until iOS 9.1.2 for another expoit.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My understanding is they actually patched another hole as well that has not been used yet, but was found internally...

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My understanding is they actually patched another hole as well that has not been used yet, but was found internally...

Probably only a matter of time that apple finds a way to permanently block jailbreaking.

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably only a matter of time that apple finds a way to permanently block jailbreaking.

Na, there's always a hole! lol I'm heading back to Android if they manage to find a way to keep jailbreakers at bay.

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on 6.1.1 I have an Ipod 5 touch and an Ipad4

Do I have to upgrade to 6.1.2 ?

Guy

You don't have to do anything ;-) But if you want .2 you have to upgrade now (or very soon). The fix in .2 is minor IMO and unless you are affected then there is probably no point in upgrading.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am on 6.1.1 I have an Ipod 5 touch and an Ipad4

Do I have to upgrade to 6.1.2 ?

Guy

We are not here to tell you what to do ;)

You are not on the latest jailbreakable version of IOS. You need to make the decision about whether you are comfortable with that or not. Whilst fairly unlikely, if you find out there is an issue with 6.1.1, which is fixed with 6.1.2, and you chose not to install it, then you won't have that option once 6.1.3 is out.

The choice is yours :D

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow!! They closed the jb window in just less than a month. This is sad news. Luckily I have both my iPads jailbroken :D. Maybe I should download the relevant ipsw (?) just in case someone figures out the blob thingy.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow!! They closed the jb window in just less than a month. This is sad news. Luckily I have both my iPads jailbroken :D. Maybe I should download the relevant ipsw (?) just in case someone figures out the blob thingy.

There is no rush to download the IPSW file. You can always download any historical IPSW from our handy thread here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

The important thing is to have your saved SHSH Blobs as there may well be a way developed to allow the re-restore of 6.0 to 6.1.2 using the same exploits the evasi0n jailbreak uses.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can stay on the iOS that you're on currently, but save your blobs for all iOS's just in case you're forced to or need to upgrade for some particular reason. That way, you can upgrade your device to say iOS 6.1.2 so that you'll still have a jailbroken device until a re-restore/downgrade is put together for A5+ devices

giokspy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on 6.1 jailbrake with ipad 2. Its better to go 6.1.2 now before update or to stay in 6.1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can stay on the iOS that you're on currently, but save your blobs for all iOS's just in case you're forced to or need to upgrade for some particular reason. That way, you can upgrade your device to say iOS 6.1.2 so that you'll still have a jailbroken device until a re-restore/downgrade is put together for A5+ devices

Jon, how is it possible to support an upgrade to a version of IOS which is no longer being signed? This is not the first time you have advised members of this and I am not aware of any way to make this possible. (a stitched custom firmware requires pwndDFU, which is impossible on any iPad supporting 6.x).
If an upgrade were possible regardless of the signing window, then a re-restore would also be possible at any time since any operation which is not a "downgrade" is essentially the same at a technical level.

I am extremely cautious about advising members that as long as they have blobs, then can choose to upgrade later to 6.1.2. AFAIK, that is impossible once the signing window is closed. What am I missing?

Most reactions

Latest posts