What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to use my IPAD in Italy

rjshooter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
London calling!

I'll be on holiday in Italy in August and will want to use my 3G ipad.

In the UK, carrier plans require a monthly rolling contract. I'll want to pre-pay for one week - no registration / no direct debit etc. The alternative is to pay outrageous roaming charges.

So - (1) do Italians know how I can get hold of a pre-pay micro sim that will work in Tuscanny? (2) what's the best network? (3) can I buy online, or do I have to find a place at the airport?

Many thanks

Rob

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

try Tre (tre.it) a pre-payed micro sim, with 3GB for 5 euros/month. I bought it.

When you will go back home, you can throw away the sim...

Find the answers at the other questions on the website.

There was also a Vodafone offer, but I don't know if it's still valid.

Enjoy your italian holidays and taste Ribollita, Pappa al pomodoro, Fiorentina and red wine.

Sorry for my English.

Bye.

p&p

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info p&p.
I too will be taking my iPad to sample the delights of Venice & Tuscany later this year.

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am living in London, but I goes to Italy a lot. I love there.
I bought an iPad. Because you can change the Micro SIM and you can use internet.
Using iPhone data roaming is too expensive.
There are 2 carriers do these for iPad.
One is "Vodafone" and other is "3"
I went Vodafone shop in Roma and bought Vodafone SIM.
You need your passport to show them.
You have to buy total €30 top up to start with. but you can use for €2/day.
To start with, I did not know how to do.
I am using O2 in UK and very easy. You can pay when you want from own iPad in UK.
You get payment screen in setting/Data carrier panel to choose when you want to pay. I do when I need to use just pay £2/day in UK.
I thought same as that and easy ....but was not.
Vodafone Italy has good web site for iPad, but all Italian. You can nor register to top up for iPad, because iPad does not have SMS message to receive to register.
I discovered there is APP application for Vodafone Italy in UK iTune store.
You can see how much you spend etc...but I think you still have to go to shop to top up.
Also you have to manually input APN in setting which written in the web site.
Otherwise not able to surf in internet.
How is "3" Tre for iPad? Is it better than Vodafone? I was thinking try for "3" as well.
But I think "3" is monthly renewed, so if you gave credit card number they take every month rolling contract same as UK until you cancel it?
Also "3" I do not know how to setup. ( I know Vodafone now)
Be honest O2 in UK for iPad is best, I did not do anything.
If anyone know, please tell me.
Thanks.

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wrote something about "3" few days ago.

If you buy a rechargeable "3" microsim you don't need credit card or similar: you will charge sim with any amount you desire, and you will pay 5 euros per month until your credit will be sufficient, for 3 GB/month.

So if you will charge with 5 euros you will be able to browse for one month...after, you will throw away the sim or keep it for the next trip in Italy.

When and if your credit will be empty you will not pay other money...and nobody will charge on you any debt: you simply will not be able to use your sim.

Subscribing is free and you will not have any obligation...timing, penalty or anything else...

The promotion is called "opzione super internet".

Pay attention: turn off the roaming mode on iPad, and not exceed the threshold of 3GB/month.

Bye

p&p

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

If you buy a rechargeable "3" microsim you don't need credit card or similar: you will charge sim with any amount you desire, and you will pay 5 euros per month until your credit will be sufficient, for 3 GB/month.

So if you will charge with 5 euros you will be able to browse for one month...after, you will throw away the sim or keep it for the next trip in Italy.

When and if your credit will be empty you will not pay other money...and nobody will charge on you any debt: you simply will not be able to use your sim.

Subscribing is free and you will not have any obligation...timing, penalty or anything else...

The promotion is called "opzione super internet".

p&p

Hi, p&p,
Thank you very much for your information.
That's fantastic. I may change to "3" from "Vodafone.it"
Do you live in Italy or are you Italian?

Is it easy to top up?
How to top up for "3"?
Can I pay through iPad?
O2 in UK, I can pay from iPad by card each time when I want to use such as £2/day. Is "3" same way to top up or do I have to to the shop?
Or can I pay from their web site?

Thanks.

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

you can both make the two things: pay by iPad on the web or go to the 3 shops.

Pay attention to the kind of proposal: you will spend 5 euros every month: you will not pay only if you don't have credit on your sim. If you don't have credit you simply will jump that month: do you know what I mean?

It's not the same thing of vodafone which permit you to spend money only for the day when you decide to browse: 2euros/day for 500MB, but here if you have to use it for three days or plus in a month you will pay more than the 5 euros of 3.

Bye, I'm italian.

If you're any doubt...write.

p&p

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

you can both make the two things: pay by iPad on the web or go to the 3 shops.

Pay attention to the kind of proposal: you will spend 5 euros every month: you will not pay only if you don't have credit on your sim. If you don't have credit you simply will jump that month: do you know what I mean?

Bye, I'm italian.

Come sta?
Io sono giapponese.
Dove sta vivendo?
Ciao:)

p&p

Please tell me how to top up for "Tre" can I top up from iPad? Go to "3" web site?
Also do I have to do anything to change in iPad setting for "Tre" like I did for vodafone??
I will explain how did I do in vodafone.it below.

I am living in UK and I am with O2 iPad data plan.
O2 is very easy. I just put Micro SIM card and one plug in to my Mac and iTune downloaded something and then in Settings/Cellular Data/ set up automatically and login register screen come up to create account.
Then in Cellular Data/ view account, there is O2 software screen open each time when you want change plan or top up from my iPad.
Type E-mail and password and you can view your plan from there, even you have not got enough top up left.
I can pay by card each time when I want to use.
I do when I need to use just pay £2/day in UK.
But £10/month and £15.month plan is recurring plan. They charge every month.
I just wanted Pay as you go type for iPad.
This point, I think O2 is very good in UK.
Is "3" in italy are same?

When I went to Italy, I bought Vodafone Micro SIM for my iPad for €30 include credit.
I thought all same as O3 set up for iPad, but was not!!!
I did not get any screen to create account from iPad. You can not top up from iPad. You can not register from iPad….I tried from Vodafone web site all italian.
Put iPad number then registered but sending 2 code, one by e0mail and other one by SMS, but iPad cannot get SMS. I am stuck and cannot do top up from web site.
What can I do???
Also Settings in Settings/Cellular Data/ I have to type Vodafone APN manually input APN in setting which written in the web site. Otherwise not able to surf in internet.
Later, I discovered there is APP application for Vodafone Italy in UK iTune store. This app you can see how much you spend etc...but I think you still have to go to the shop to top up for my iPad.

I travel to Italy often, so I need this "3" micro SIM.

Thanks.

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi godcape,
I answer fast because in Office now.
I fear that the first time you have to go in a 3 shop, to sign up.
After you can top up your sim where you want: you have only to create an account on 3 website.

About the settings you can plug your iPad to iTunes and it makes everything automatically or you could type "tre.it" in the APN settings.

Other?

Where you go in Italy?: my company is in Verona. Come never here?

Bye

p&p

fab138

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi P&P
Was wondering if you might be able to help provide a little assistance.

I purchased an iPad in Canada and will be traveling to Italy shortly on vacation. I arrive at Rome airport (they have a 3 store) and will be traveling to Rome, Firenze, Pisa, Siena, Levanto, Sirmione and Venice. I checked out the tre website and it looks like all these locations have good coverage. I was looking at the "UTMS e HSDPA" tab on there coverage page.

My questions are
1) When I purchase a uSIM from 3 do I just insert it into the iPad and it will work or will I need to connect my iPad to a computer with iTunes?

2)Was also wondering if you know of an email address for customer service for 3? I tried looking but couldn't find one. I wanted to know if I could just purchase the 5euro for 3GB with cash and not need to sign a contract or anything. Just worried about signing a contract that is not in English in order to purchase a uSIM.

My plan was to purchase the uSIM at the airport.

Thanks
fab

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) When I purchase a uSIM from 3 do I just insert it into the iPad and it will work or will I need to connect my iPad to a computer with iTunes?

2)Was also wondering if you know of an email address for customer service for 3? I tried looking but couldn't find one. I wanted to know if I could just purchase the 5euro for 3GB with cash and not need to sign a contract or anything. Just worried about signing a contract that is not in English in order to purchase a uSIM.

My plan was to purchase the uSIM at the airport.

fab

1)Insert SIM and connect iTunes, then it will download carrier's set up and do all setup automatically.
But If you cannot connect to your computer (like me while traveling), then put SIM in to iPad and Type APN manually. Depends on, but 3(tre) is easy one. P&P already said what you have to do in this Thread.

2)Tre(3) you do not need contract, even vodafone. You can just buy at any shop. But you need passport or any ID. You cannot buy it online.
I said them "Pay as you go", then they understand.
Also you do not need give them credit card!!! You can pay at shop by cash, this means they cannot charge you every month on your card. Then you will know. Also they give you the paper it will say "Ricarica" rechargeable.....

Yes, you can buy at Airport if there is the shop.
I have been communicating with P&P and best way as traveler in Italy.
He think 3(tre) is the best.

fab138

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks godcape. Hopefully I can find someone that can speak a little english at the 3 store at the airport. Really looking forward to our trip to Italy and having the iPad will certainly help us stay connected.

By the way do you have any idea how well Skype will work over the tre 3G?

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks godcape. Hopefully I can find someone that can speak a little english at the 3 store at the airport. Really looking forward to our trip to Italy and having the iPad will certainly help us stay connected.

By the way do you have any idea how well Skype will work over the tre 3G?

Hi fab138,

quite well; on iPad, as you know, only by voice.

Bye

p&p

Most reactions

Latest posts