What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waited in line, got IPad 2, probably will return it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I waited for a few hours on Friday to buy and Ipad 2 (64GB wifi). And I'm really disappointed in it.

Unbelievably, I'm 80-90% I'm going to return it. Even if it costs me ~$100 bucks restock fee.

I should have realized there was something wrong when I saw all of the people around me in line had IPhones, and I have (and love) my Droid.

Here's what disappoints. I am blown away how much IPads CAN'T do. It's too locked down. I don't want a hardware extension of ITunes, with all it's limitations. I want a tablet that actually does things computers do.

IPad isn't it. Unfortunately, Android hasn't released the IPad competitor yet.

But now I'm convinced...as cool as IPads are (and they are...what they do they do GREAT), IPads will eventually be overtaken by Android once the Android tablet market takes off.

I'm disappointed. Mostly in myself for wasting a hundred bucks. But I'd rather pay $100 for something I don't have than pay $800 for something I have but don't use.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the difficulty in getting one, you might try selling it before you return it. Who knows, you may even make a profit.

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently you don't read either. The WSJ and every other financial analyst has stated that Android isn't in the same park as apple when it comes to tablets. You may as well get a netbook and sell it. Apple hit a home run again and Doidboyz don't like it.

Of course, you could also be a hater since I can't believe anyone would pay a $100 restocking fee when they are going for $200 over retail on Craigs list.

papa nathan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you should put it on ebay. people ask crazy money for those iPad 2, it is very hard to get one in store now.

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good idea and I did that.

I actually put it on Craigslist yesterday. No takers.

Put it on Ebay tonite, for a 24 hour auction. No takers yet.

Hey, I wanted to like the IPad. I waited in line for hours. And for what the IPad does, I DO like it.

It's what the IPad doesn't do that makes me go meh. If I were rich, I'd keep it and buy a real (fully capable) tablet when Android finally gets it right (the Xoom is almost it...not yet).

Again, if the IPad were functional like a Mac instead of semi-functional like an IPhone, then I'd be all over it.

I think the tipping point for me was VLC media player. You can "stream" movies to your IPad but not copy them. Why NOT be able to copy them over? Because Steve Jobs doesn't want me to? That's irritating as hell.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It's sold by tomorrow or back to Best Buy on Saturday.

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the Ipad1 for 9 months, then sold it cause i thought that android with its open system and more functions will be better.

Well had an Android tablet, load all the better browser and stuff (beside the printing app printershare was nearly twice expensive as eprint for Iphone/Ipad), set up GPS and flash and all the stuff like micro SD card which IPad doesent have.

Well that was nice up to that point, having a Tablet which CAN do anything like a computer... the big awakening comes a few days after. The andoid tablet lies on my table and, yes it lies there; a bit surfing here, checking emails there and thats all, i began to miss any good games, cause there only a hand full of them, also most game companys will never bring games for android due the fragmentation of android or simply cause of everything u can get cracked in the internet which is no buisness for those companys.

After 2 weeks in which i used my android tablet for like 6 hours i realized that its NOT the IPad, which people say u dont need it, its the android tablet for me, cause when u finished browsing, checking mails and messages ur going to have fun with the tablet, abd there only crappy flash like games for android, now looking at everyone who had an IPad and the cool games there made me feel more and more worse with the android tablet.

I was happy selling it after 3 weeks in use, finding someone buying it for a moderate price.

The best tablet is useless if theres only 3rd class software for it.

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. Android tablets aren't there yet.

Just like 2 years ago, Android phones weren't there yet. Today they own the market and the momentum.

After my short experience with the IPad, I'll confidently bet a paycheck that IPads will meet the same fate. Once Android tablets get off the ground. Android just hasn't found "the one" yet. They will. And I'll be ready.

ksn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tablets in general, aren't for me. I bought a really cheap Nook Color, rooted it and use it as a tablet, but I only take it out very very rarely. On the other hand, I bought an iPad for my mother, who is as computer illiterate as anyone can get and taught her how to use it in a week. I've been unsuccessfully trying to teach her how to use a windows laptop for a couple of years. Now she has me waiting in line for 5 hours so I can get her the newest iPad. It's a great purchase for the older generation who are new to computers and only really use the internet, email, and the occassional games. The interface is very user friendly, and it's very well suited for casual use.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get (almost) as much done on mine as my PC. I code in Latex and create pdfs, publish wordpress AND do serverside edits to my MySQL databases, I can access my files on my hard drive at home. I send emails with pictures, nag my students, check on my mom, and plan dinner, reservations, make phone calls, look and my genealogy get help with kintting, watch lectures, graph equations and compare function, check my stocks, learn chinese, play games, check on the tides and plan Kayak trips, prevent myself from getting lost, draw, and read every one of the textbooks that used to make my bag to heavy.

I don't really know what else I'd want to do. (?) Most of my family and friends think of me as very much in to computers and the person who needs the most features, fastest newest etc.

If I'm getting everything (and more) that I need from the iPad, my mother-in-law, mom, husband, brother and niece (age 7) all of whom already have or will soon buy an iPad are not going to be angry about the software being closed. They are not going to be interested android. y

Some users, like yourself, with certian needs may be better of with android-- and that's GREAT. I'm glad there's more than one game in town.

But, substantial number of "power users" and "early adopters" love the iPad. It will only be *more* popular with the general public, especially becuase Apple is being more competitive about price this time.

I do have a bit more to say:

Did you look in to jailbreaking? it if you need to do more that could help. You can even un-jailbreak it and no one will ever know. A lot of people get more freedom that way.

Also some fun features (like multi-tasking) can be unlocked without a jailbreak if you are registered as an apple developer.

It might be that tablet PCs in general are not for you. A tablet PC is not, nor will it ever be a desktop. Things like spreadsheets for data entry, more complex programming, some kinds of graphics creation and photo editing, will happen at my desk. Maybe you don't need a tablet?

I hope you get you money back and then sum! It sucks when you feel like you've wasted money. (That's how I feel about my $300 HP netbook from 2010 that I NEVER EVER used more than five or six times... it even has windows 7... *sigh* I'm off to ebay.)

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. Android tablets aren't there yet.

Just like 2 years ago, Android phones weren't there yet. Today they own the market and the momentum.

After my short experience with the IPad, I'll confidently bet a paycheck that IPads will meet the same fate. Once Android tablets get off the ground. Android just hasn't found "the one" yet. They will. And I'll be ready.

I don't know that they "own" the market. The iPhone is one phone and amounts for nearly as many devices as all the Android phones combined. That's like comparing sales of the Corvette with all the other cars on the road.

It might be interesting for you to know that there were more Verizon iPhones sold to Verizon Android customers than to ATT iPhone customers.

Eventually someone will create an Android tablet that people will buy... At one time all the PCs in the world were IBMs, but the fact that other companies make and sell PCs doesn't prevent IBM from making a profit or a good product.

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've thought of jailbreaking (aka "rooting"). It probably would give me more of what I want.

But I was reading today how Apple disabled the latest IPad 2 jailbreak. So not knowing much about it, I'm given the impression that it's a constant battle between breaking and patching, like virus and antivirus software.

Thanks for the post.

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know that they "own" the market. The iPhone is one phone and amounts for nearly as many devices as all the Android phones combined. That's like comparing sales of the Corvette with all the other cars on the road.

Or like comparing the sales of Macs with all other (Windows) computers on the earth.

Yea, it's just like that. Which is kinduv my point.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tebletfan said:
I waited for a few hours on Friday to buy and Ipad 2 (64GB wifi). And I'm really disappointed in it.

Unbelievably, I'm 80-90% I'm going to return it. Even if it costs me ~$100 bucks restock fee.

I should have realized there was something wrong when I saw all of the people around me in line had IPhones, and I have (and love) my Droid.

Here's what disappoints. I am blown away how much IPads CAN'T do. It's too locked down. I don't want a hardware extension of ITunes, with all it's limitations. I want a tablet that actually does things computers do.

IPad isn't it. Unfortunately, Android hasn't released the IPad competitor yet.

But now I'm convinced...as cool as IPads are (and they are...what they do they do GREAT), IPads will eventually be overtaken by Android once the Android tablet market takes off.

I'm disappointed. Mostly in myself for wasting a hundred bucks. But I'd rather pay $100 for something I don't have than pay $800 for something I have but don't use.

What's shocking is you stood in line for the 2nd generation of a device whose 1st generation you apparently knew nothing about. If you want a tablet that works like a PC, they do exist you know. Windows made a bunch of them a long time ago, they are the ones with the stylus. The modern day tablet is an extension of your PC. This claim you make about android taking over in the tablet space sounds funny to me. The mobile space and tablet space are too different beasts. Android had advantages in the sense that they were pretty much available on every carrier on hundreds of different devices. No single android device can see the iPhone in sales. As for tablets android will not dominate, neither would they make the Tablet you are looking for. The modern day tablet have been deemed post PC devices. They are not supposed to function like PCs that's what PCs are for. I got the iPad 2 as well and I don't even use my laptop anymore. I'm loving all the things it can do, for the things it can't, I'll just use my Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions