What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume control

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I try to adjust volume On my iPad mini, a "sound effects" pop up appears not the usual "volume" icon. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mark - tell us which iPad Mini you own and what iOS is installed. I'm assuming that you've gone into Settings and looked @ the 'Sound' and 'General -> Accessibility' options and nothing unusual has been changed?

For starters and if not already done, 'Reset' the iPad, i.e. hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, release both and wait for the iPad to reboot - post back the answers to the questions above and the effect of resetting the device - good luck. Dave :)

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave,

The reset is the first thing I tried.
It is an iPad mini 2 and I just updated to IOS 9.0.1

Mark

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you in an app or just on the home screen? I found the volume controls a bit wonky in iOS 9 as well. Sometimes there is no indicator on screen when you adjust volume or it comes up as sound effects. But it still turns things up and down when you press the buttons.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you play some music on your iPad, and you use the Volume buttons, do you still see "Sound Effects" pop up, or is it "Volume"?

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It makes no difference in either an app or home screen.
It's always "sound effects"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, found it.

If you have Change with Buttons switch on in Settings > Sounds, the icon says Sound Effects instead of Volume. This might be intentional on Apple's part, to make sure you realize you are also changing the volume of the system sounds (including ringing and alterts) as well as the audio in your apps.

If the Change with Buttons switch is turned off, then the system sounds remain at the level shown in the Ringer and Alerts slider above the button, and the volume icon says "Volume". If it is on, the volume for system sounds is the same as for all other audio, and the volume icon says "Sound Effects"

I prefer to leave the button off, so I know that adjusting music or other audio won't keep me from hearing important alters. If I want the alerts silenced, I can still use Mute. That's what it's for.

Note: I'm guessing they chose Sound Effects because the ringer and alert sounds are not the only sound affected. Pretty much all the system sounds are affected: keyboard clicks, lock sound, etc.

Most reactions