What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VoiceSo Dictation not Siri !

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So it is Voice Dictation not Siri !

So finally it is Voice Dictation and not Siri. Though the name is obvious and suggests the functionality but I am curious to find out what is it that this Voice Dictation will do ? which is different from SiRi ?

Last edited:

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it will simply convert your speach to text and that's it. With siri you can ask it questions and it will perform searches for you and so on, the iPad3 will not do this.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Which is good, as siri would not work on wifi only devices if you're not connected to the internet....So ill take what I can get and use siri on my 4S.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The benefit of the new voice dictation feature is it will work with any app that uses the standard iPad touch keyboard, which is almost all of them. No more dictating, then having to copy&paste the results.

Meb1938

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was prepared to forgo Siri when there is no WiFi, but really wanted SiRi not just dictation - which I won't use all that much. I do a lot of photography but do not plan to use my iPad instead of my digital camera. Very disappointed with today's announcement. Will probably forgo this purchase and continue using my iPad 1 for another year. The only thing that would change my mind is if Apple made Siri available as an upgrade or something. Anyone know if hardware/firmware needs to be different for SiRi?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It does not look like the dictation feature is available on my wi-fi only iPad 2; or I'm missing some setting to turn it on.

The what features are available on what devices support page has not been updated yet, so nothing for sure.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
it will simply convert your speach to text and that's it. With siri you can ask it questions and it will perform searches for you and so on, the iPad3 will not do this.

So what it means is ? It will write Mails and Take Notes on my Speech and thats it ! Right ?

And it will not do Google Search or anything like 4s ?

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like the voice support that is currently available for the iphone 4. Basically wherever you can input text you can tap the microphone and it will translate your voice to text. You could google search, by opening up google and hitting the mic.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It looks like the voice support that is currently available for the iphone 4. Basically wherever you can input text you can tap the microphone and it will translate your voice to text. You could google search, by opening up google and hitting the mic.

So then it becomes Siri isn't it ? Then what is the difference between Siri and Voice Dictation. I know siri is like a personal assistant but apart from the glorified term, I dont see what this voice dictation cannot do which siri can ?

Any examples ?

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
So then it becomes Siri isn't it ? Then what is the difference between Siri and Voice Dictation. I know siri is like a personal assistant but apart from the glorified term, I dont see what this voice dictation cannot do which siri can ?

Any examples ?

The voice dictation, if I'm right will give you a mic on your keyboard which, when tapped, will bring up a mic for direct voice to text in whatever you're using. See attached screenshots for what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• image-808939456.jpg
    image-808939456.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 269
  • image-1394784066.jpg
    image-1394784066.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 250
  • image-2513614971.jpg
    image-2513614971.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 476

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you can't tell VD "Wake me up at 6:30" an have it automatically set your alarm for you, or "Send Mary an email that i'll stop at the store on my way home." It's a shame the great new device lacks Siri. I guess Apple wants to keep it to sell more iPhones. But after paying $900 for the latest iPad, we shouldn't be deprived of Siri if we want it on more than one device.

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, I was a tad bit disappointed too. I dunno if it will support any other voice functions like the few the iPhone4 does (not the 4s), but I was rather hoping for Siri.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It does not look like the dictation feature is available on my wi-fi only iPad 2; or I'm missing some setting to turn it on.

The what features are available on what devices support page has not been updated yet, so nothing for sure.

After much searching it occurs to me that they never said Voice Dictation was an iOS 5.1 feature. It is was touted as a new iPad feature. The iOS 5.1 update page makes no mention of it.

At least I can stop looking for the mystery settings. :)

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok the Voice Ductation feature also requires Internet Connection further more reason for me to why was SiRi ommited ? Really Baffling !!

Most reactions

Latest posts