What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VLC player for for iPad

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
now available free.

someone test it and maybe provide feedback....

i wonder how you get your avi on since i cant do it via itunes?

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried it with four files: two HD .AVI files, one .MKV and one .FLV. Only the .AVI files were playable, one displayed unacceptable slide-show performance, and one kept crashing.

Thumbs-down from me.

OP
J

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried it with four files: two HD .AVI files, one .MKV and one .FLV. Only the .AVI files were playable, one displayed unacceptable slide-show performance, and one kept crashing.

Thumbs-down from me.

thats not good, is it hardware limitation?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thumbs-down from me.

I got a warning that was telling me that my iPad is too slow for this file (the one that played at slide-show speed.)

But after that, I tried a video that was formatted .MP4 and plays well in GoodReader. But VLC Player started slowly playing choppy video then crashed.

Give it a pass - for now. I use VLC Player on my Windows PC, and it is pretty good. It is just not ready for iPad use.

OP
J

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thumbs-down from me.

I got a warning that was telling me that my iPad is too slow for this file (the one that played at slide-show speed.)

But after that, I tried a video that was formatted .MP4 and plays well in GoodReader. But VLC Player started slowly playing choppy video then crashed.

Give it a pass - for now. I use VLC Player on my Windows PC, and it is pretty good. It is just not ready for iPad use.

fair enough. maybe better after 6 months with updates

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a few mp4 files and they were fine (but they would have been fine on the iPad anyway!). I then added a wmv file, some flv files and a mkv file. Now the app crashes immediately after launch! Over and over again! I'll be curious to hear if others have the same experience...I certainly didn't expect this from vlc.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a few mp4 files and they were fine (but they would have been fine on the iPad anyway!). I then added a wmv file, some flv files and a mkv file. Now the app crashes immediately after launch! Over and over again! I'll be curious to hear if others have the same experience...I certainly didn't expect this from vlc.

Same here, mkv file crashes immediately.

How do you delete a VLC file? Does it get delete if you delete the app?

Last edited:

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I deleted the app ( and yes...deleting the app also deletes the files.). I reinstalled and like before, the mp4 files seem fine. I tried adding one flv file and even though iTunes synched it, it's nowhere to be found in the vlc app on the iPad. IMHO...a pretty useless app so far.

Sviatapolk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to play avi (xvid or whatever) files on the Ipad? I don't want to have to convert everything to Apple's format.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, its pretty much useless. It doesn't use hardware acceleration.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read a review of this software, on TUAW I think. They said it doesn't use any hardware acceleration. And it won't do .flv of course, or it would not get by Apple App screening.

Very Beta.

Most reactions

Latest posts