What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus protection

Rubyslippers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm new and would like to know of I need to have virus protection on my iPad ...Thanks

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Due to the nature of iOS and the sandboxing of the apps, you do not require any virus protection.

rugger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
followthesapper said:
Due to the nature of iOS and the sandboxing of the apps, you do not require any virus protection.

Excuse the ignorance. With all the jail breaking does this allow access to code which may lead to hacker invasions?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Only if you're jailbroken, you'll need to worry about mallware.
2. Sandboxing is restricting an app to what it can do and access. For example, it's not possible for any apps to browse the filesystem. Jailbreaking allows installation of apps that don't have any restrictions.

Sent from K48

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rugger said:
What is sand boxing ?

Sand boxing means that the various apps installed on your iPad work in isolation and don't interact with each other,except in very few circumstances such as listening to music when using other apps.This is why there are as yet,no known viruses that can infect a stock iPad.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Viruses and malware do not run in iOS. Only apps downloaded from iTunes, which are screened, strongly sandboxed, and signed (so the developer is known) can run on iOS – unless the user destroys security by jailbreaking. There is no need for anantivirus on iOS. There has never been a virus in iOS.The only security problem left is that caused by the web browser. Still –even with this – viruses can’t be installed in iOS.

Sandboxing is where each app runs in it's own little box and is restricted to what it has access to, for example a music player will only have access to your music files. It is why many apps cannot share files with other apps.

So yes you are right you could get a virus/malware on a Jailbroken iPad, but because the apps are sandboxed, it shouldn't be able to infect iOS.

Look at it this way, if there was a virus/malware problem in iOS then the app store would be flooded by expensive Anti Virus apps!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
followthesapper said:
Sandboxing is where each app runs in it's own little box and is restricted to what it has access to, for example a music player will only have access to your music files. It is why many apps cannot share files with other apps.

So yes you are right you could get a virus/malware on a Jailbroken iPad, but because the apps are sandboxed, it shouldn't be able to infect iOS.

Look at it this way, if there was a virus/malware problem in iOS then the app store would be flooded by expensive Anti Virus apps!

And then there's a chance of those "anti-virus" apps being trojans.

Sent from K48

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
biobunny said:
And then there's a chance of those "anti-virus" apps being trojans.

Sent from K48

Somehow I think it would be pretty hard to slip a Trojan virus past the app store vetting process.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Somehow I think it would be pretty hard to slip a Trojan virus past the app store vetting process.

I meant if apps wouldn't be required to be sandboxed in the AppStore.

Sent from K48

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
biobunny said:
I meant if apps wouldn't be required to be sandboxed in the AppStore.

Sent from K48

If you want non sandboxed apps on your iPad,then you'll have to use your jail broken one.I don't think that Apple will change it's policy on sandboxing apps anytime soon.

rugger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Sand boxing means that the various apps installed on your iPad work in isolation and don't interact with each other,except in very few circumstances such as listening to music when using other apps.This is why there are as yet,no known viruses that can infect a stock iPad.

Thanks much for the reply

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
If you want non sandboxed apps on your iPad,then you'll have to use your jail broken one.I don't think that Apple will change it's policy on sandboxing apps anytime soon.

I know that, I was just saying.

Sent from K48

henry98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this knowledge, I never knew the cause.

cherapin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have anyone heard about the new superworm? I heard it can target iOS devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts